Old 03-25-2016, 08:26 AM   #1
Pkwlsn

Default Contrast

I got two new rejections today for a new reason - contrast.
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...52&key=9582111
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...56&key=6225753

Both shots were taken in a very smokey roundhouse, so I tried to leave some of that in the photos. Also, if I increase the contrast anymore I'll just end up crushing the blacks more than they already are. This isn't a situation I've come across before. Is there any hope for either of these? Any thoughts? Or am I better off just sending them to the flickr folder?

Also, while we're at it, can someone explain how to include a thumbnail link to my photos in a post rather than a simple url link?
Pkwlsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 12:26 PM   #2
RobJor

Look at another thread, Quote someone else's forum post, and you can see their code for whatever they are posting. Not sure rejected photos will show up that way as they are not in the database but you can try. You can attach your original.

Bob

Last edited by RobJor; 03-25-2016 at 12:29 PM.
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 01:05 PM   #3
conrail1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJor View Post
Not sure rejected photos will show up that way as they are not in the database but you can try. You can attach your original.

Bob
Rejected photos will not but the code is [photoid=xxxxx]

As for the photos both could use more contrast and a burst in color.
conrail1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 01:12 PM   #4
Noct Foamer

Adding contrast to these would be similar to sliding the saturation slider up to 80% or something. It just wouldn't look realistic. Smoke evens out contrast, as does fog and light snow. My guess is the screener is after comic book colors, not real life. Maybe he's never been in a steam roundhouse. First one might work in B&W.

Kent in SD
Noct Foamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 01:28 PM   #5
JimThias

This is one of those times that the atmosphere in the scene is more appealing in person than it is in a photo. And because of that, both of these rejections definitely need a slight boost in contrast.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 07:02 PM   #6
Pkwlsn

After selectively increasing the contrast for both photos, one was rejected for part of the subject being cut off (why didn't it get that rejection the first time?), and the other was rejected again for not enough contrast after waiting through multiple screening batches (it seems that somebody wanted a second opinion).
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...77&key=8443852
At this point I feel that if I change it any more it will no longer be an accurate reproduction of the actual scene that I shot. Maybe I'll try again in a year or so. But for now, these will have to be relegated to Flickr.
Old 03-26-2016, 07:42 PM   #7
Dennis A. Livesey

My take. Pretty sure this direction would get on.

As is, I think it a viable version of what you saw.

If it gets on, you get more knowledge of what this and other audiences think of it by how well it is accepted.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1205.1458919495.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	281.5 KB
ID:	9129

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 01:39 AM   #8
Pkwlsn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis A. Livesey View Post
My take. Pretty sure this direction would get on.

As is, I think it a viable version of what you saw.

If it gets on, you get more knowledge of what this and other audiences think of it by how well it is accepted.

Attachment 9129
Did you just play with the black levels a bit? If you think it has a chance then I guess I could keep messing with it.
Old 03-27-2016, 03:43 AM   #9
Dennis A. Livesey

Always balance your histogram first. I did lower black levels for it was not touching the left like it should. That is one indication of low contrast, which is what the rejection is all about.

Then I lowered shadows, raised highlights and contrast.

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Old 03-27-2016, 05:14 AM   #10
Pkwlsn

Quote:
Always balance your histogram first. I did lower black levels for it was not touching the left like it should. That is one indication of low contrast, which is what the rejection is all about.

Then I lowered shadows, raised highlights and contrast.
The histogram is one of the first things I look at when editing a photo, but in this case I left the blacks up a little to try to convey that slightly smokey feel. Didn't work out as well as I thought though.
Old 03-27-2016, 05:44 AM   #11
Pkwlsn

After following your suggestions, this is what I have come up with. Any further suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09342_DxO-2-7.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	913.1 KB
ID:	9132  

Last edited by Pkwlsn; 03-27-2016 at 06:04 AM.
Old 03-27-2016, 12:11 PM   #12
Dennis A. Livesey

I see a possible problem that the fronts are too dark. I tried lightening by with a JPEG: I had no luck. If you have a RAW, lightening those I would suggest. Then try. In the notes just state what you have done and say thank you.

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

Old 03-27-2016, 02:44 PM   #13
Noct Foamer

Quote:
I see a possible problem that the fronts are too dark. I tried lightening by with a JPEG: I had no luck.

This could have used some fill flash, especially off-camera. Might have run into a problem with Tyndall Effect, but maybe not.

Few railfans seem to think of fill flash. I was once out with a guy I met up with, and we were taking photos of the good old DME. We came across an engine that was being worked on in a siding, and I got the mechanics to pose for us. They were in the shade so I used my little pop up flash to provide some fill. The guy I was with said his camera, a Canon something or another, didn't have a flash. I looked at it, pushed a button, and up popped a flash. From the look on his face you'd think I'd just pulled a rabbit out of the memory card slot. The guy had owned that camera for three years.

Kent in SD
Noct Foamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 01:05 AM   #14
Pkwlsn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noct Foamer View Post
This could have used some fill flash, especially off-camera. Might have run into a problem with Tyndall Effect, but maybe not.

Few railfans seem to think of fill flash. I was once out with a guy I met up with, and we were taking photos of the good old DME. We came across an engine that was being worked on in a siding, and I got the mechanics to pose for us. They were in the shade so I used my little pop up flash to provide some fill. The guy I was with said his camera, a Canon something or another, didn't have a flash. I looked at it, pushed a button, and up popped a flash. From the look on his face you'd think I'd just pulled a rabbit out of the memory card slot. The guy had owned that camera for three years.

Kent in SD
The air was so thick with smoke and dust here that I don't think a fill flash would have looked good.
It did get a bad lighting (too dark) rejection, by the way. Even with the raw file I don't think it's possible to brighten it without losing unacceptable levels of contrast. If anyone wants to have a try at the raw file I'd be glad to send it your way.
Old 03-28-2016, 05:28 AM   #15
John West
Senior Curmudgeon

You might try using the lasso tool (or something similar) to do some selective lightening so that the contrast in the overall image is not affected. I would also tighten the crop on the left side, so that the edge is right at the end of the work table. I also used the shadow/highlight tool to darken the ceiling area a bit, and that may or may not be an improvement since it also reduces the smokey atmosphere. An interesting scene well captured. Some good caption info would also add to the image.

Last edited by John West; 03-28-2016 at 06:05 AM.
John West is offline   Reply With Quote