Old 05-29-2007, 01:31 AM   #1
socalrailfan
Master Railfan
 
socalrailfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 714
Default This one will confuse you

Not a good shot by any means, but trying to put it all together gives me a headache. One of those weird catches for no reason.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8627.jpg (182.6 KB, 276 views)
__________________
Thanks,
Dave
www.SoCalRailFan.com
See more of my train photos at:
http://community.webshots.com/user/firehouse16
See my train videos at:
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=SoCalRailFan
socalrailfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 03:36 AM   #2
Joe the Photog
Senior Member
 
Joe the Photog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 7,905
Default

It's actually a good shot and I'd strongly suggest trying again.... without the power poles.

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©


I've also seen a few others here using a mirror. It's a hard shot to pull off, but very cool when it happens.

It's also much easier when the train is stopped as was the one I caught.


Joe
__________________
Joe the Photog Dot Com
Joe the Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 04:23 AM   #3
Mike B.
Banned
 
Mike B.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,343
Default

What a waste.
Mike B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 04:49 AM   #4
Ween
Senior Member
 
Ween's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,861
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B.
What a waste.
Mike B, ladies and gentleman, Mike B.

The insight and reasoning is awe-inspiring...
__________________
Ween is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 07:04 AM   #5
WembYard
Senior Member
 
WembYard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Bedfordshire, UK
Posts: 646
Default

An interesting idea. Is it possible to align the loco with the train a bit more to make the viewer think about what it is they are seeing? Definitely need to find somewhere without poles though, maybe without the bridge as well.
WembYard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 11:39 AM   #6
WisconsinCentral
Senior Member
 
WisconsinCentral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: New Brighton Minnesota
Posts: 361
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween
Mike B, ladies and gentleman, Mike B.

The insight and reasoning is awe-inspiring...
LOL! Doesnt get much more black and white eh?
WisconsinCentral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 04:45 PM   #7
socalrailfan
Master Railfan
 
socalrailfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 714
Default

I wasn't even trying for a shot. I was actually waiting for the DPU's to get into view when I saw them in the rear view mirror and snapped a shot. Here's the shot I was after.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8629.jpg (142.4 KB, 221 views)
__________________
Thanks,
Dave
www.SoCalRailFan.com
See more of my train photos at:
http://community.webshots.com/user/firehouse16
See my train videos at:
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=SoCalRailFan
socalrailfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 12:11 AM   #8
Mike B.
Banned
 
Mike B.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,343
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween
Mike B, ladies and gentleman, Mike B.

The insight and reasoning is awe-inspiring...
Oh, come on. What's wrong with being brutally honest? It's something different than the constant back rubbing going on.
Mike B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 12:25 AM   #9
Ween
Senior Member
 
Ween's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,861
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B.
Oh, come on. What's wrong with being brutally honest? It's something different than the constant back rubbing going on.
Honesty is good, but what exactly is a waste? The shot itself? The idea? The composition? The fact that there was an H1 Dash 9 involved? You didn't elaborate. Dave himself even said, "Not a good shot by any means," so what exactly is 'a waste?' Maybe if you would have told us why it's a waste, there might have been a different reaction. But then again, you're good at offering your opinions but not providing the 'why' behind them. Just being brutally honest...
__________________
Ween is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 01:27 AM   #10
socalrailfan
Master Railfan
 
socalrailfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 714
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B.
Oh, come on. What's wrong with being brutally honest? It's something different than the constant back rubbing going on.
Honest or just rude? As ween said and I said, the photo is not a good one, we already knew that, it was the concept and the spontaneous capture that was different, but not good either. Trying to make heads ro tails of it was the point after all.

Maybe you should learn to be a bit more positive in your negativity!
__________________
Thanks,
Dave
www.SoCalRailFan.com
See more of my train photos at:
http://community.webshots.com/user/firehouse16
See my train videos at:
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=SoCalRailFan
socalrailfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 03:35 AM   #11
SD70MACMAN
The man with the plan
 
SD70MACMAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Edmonds, Washington
Posts: 375
Send a message via AIM to SD70MACMAN
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B.
What a waste.
Your useless comment is a greater waste than Dave trying to be creative and asking for feedback. Perhaps you should be a bit more useful and give a hand. I owe this site a lot because its given me the opportunity and drive to make me a better photographer. I never would have been published either if it wasn't for RP.net and the people here in the forums lending their advice. If you don't like this "back rubbing", then either keep quite or get off this forum.

Well said Ween.

Good try on the shot though. The mirror shots are cool and trippy when they turn out well. Did this w/ a MRL once, looked cool but the dang camera focused on the mirror frame instead of the train. Would have been prefect otherwise. However, I say we get rid of your shot, Dave, because it too is giving me a headache and I can't stop looking at it!
__________________
~Mike Bjork

UP's new slogan for Amtrak:
"We'll help you spread you wings and fly right into a siding!"

TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS!!! May the fun never end!
I'm a traitor! Im on JP.net! But all my plane shots involve trains!

BN FOREVER!

Last edited by SD70MACMAN; 05-30-2007 at 03:37 AM.
SD70MACMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 03:42 AM   #12
Mike B.
Banned
 
Mike B.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,343
Default

My comment was directed at Joe's photo and didn't have anything to do with SoCalRailfan's shot. I actually enjoyed SoCal's shot because it was a little different than the other "mirror shots" I've seen, so kudos to him. Plus, it was just a Dash 9 so it's not like he threw away a chance of getting a good photo of good power.
Joe's photo on the other hand has a great leader (I really like CR) and with something like a Conrail B40-8, a simple wedgie would be better than a mirror shot. But, it's his picture/opportunity so he can do whatever he wants with it.
I probably leave open ended comments more than I should. I guess I like to make the reader wonder what the heck I'm talking about.
Mike B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 03:47 AM   #13
Mike B.
Banned
 
Mike B.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,343
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD70MACMAN
Your useless comment is a greater waste than Dave trying to be creative and asking for feedback. Perhaps you should be a bit more useful and give a hand. I owe this site a lot because its given me the opportunity and drive to make me a better photographer. I never would have been published either if it wasn't for RP.net and the people here in the forums lending their advice. If you don't like this "back rubbing", then either keep quite or get off this forum.
Settle down. I find it amazing that I only had to say three words for you tell me to leave the forum.
Mike B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 04:21 AM   #14
Ween
Senior Member
 
Ween's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,861
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B.
Settle down. I find it amazing that I only had to say three words for you tell me to leave the forum.
Well, it's technically 22 if you count your other post about the "constant back rubbing," but still...
__________________
Ween is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 08:19 AM   #15
Mike B.
Banned
 
Mike B.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,343
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween
Well, it's technically 22 if you count your other post about the "constant back rubbing," but still...
He only quoted three...
Mike B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 11:14 AM   #16
Joe the Photog
Senior Member
 
Joe the Photog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 7,905
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B.
Joe's photo on the other hand has a great leader (I really like CR) and with something like a Conrail B40-8, a simple wedgie would be better than a mirror shot. But, it's his picture/opportunity so he can do whatever he wants with it.
This is my response --




















































































.
__________________
Joe the Photog Dot Com
Joe the Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 11:48 AM   #17
WisconsinCentral
Senior Member
 
WisconsinCentral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: New Brighton Minnesota
Posts: 361
Default

....Well, glad we all get along together....
WisconsinCentral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 11:49 AM   #18
Mike B.
Banned
 
Mike B.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,343
Default

The insight and reasoning is awe-inspiring...
Mike B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 11:56 AM   #19
Joe the Photog
Senior Member
 
Joe the Photog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 7,905
Default

It was actually more than I care about what you say about my photos.


Joe
__________________
Joe the Photog Dot Com
Joe the Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 12:33 PM   #20
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)
Senior Member
 
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Marlboro, NJ
Posts: 1,956
Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B.
My comment was directed at Joe's photo... .

Joe's photo on the other hand has a great leader (I really like CR) and with something like a Conrail B40-8, a simple wedgie would be better than a mirror shot.
Maybe if you took the time actually read what others say you would have notice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe
It's also much easier when the train is stopped as was the one I caught.
Something tells me this isn't the ONLY photo of the train Joe took (I could be wrong) but it was just the one he chose to upload to RP because its a heck of a lot more interesting than a wedgie most others would have.
__________________
-Andrew Blaszczyk a.k.a. AB(2)
Proud fan of the Sabres, Islanders, Rockies, and Lions.

"My camera is an artistic medium, not a tool of terrorism."

www.ab2photography.com Coming soon!
My photos on RailPictures:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=960
Andrew Blaszczyk (2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 02:09 PM   #21
Joe the Photog
Senior Member
 
Joe the Photog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 7,905
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Blaszczyk (2)
Maybe if you took the time actually read what others say you would have notice Something tells me this isn't the ONLY photo of the train Joe took (I could be wrong) but it was just the one he chose to upload to RP because its a heck of a lot more interesting than a wedgie most others would have.
Thanks, Andrew. I probably spent an hour shooting this train as it was switching near the football stadium in Columbia. I shot 200 mm teles, 10 mm wide angles and stuff in between. I tried getting that bill board into the shot from a typical wedgie perspective but it didn't work. Then I got back in the car and was about to leave when the mirror shot hit me.

I actually think someone had posted their own mirror shot in the forums and that's why I thought about it. But first I had to clean the mirro, both the passenger side and the drivers side which is the shot I used. I also took this shot --



I decided I only wanted to upload one from that day and this one got the nix from me for two reasons:

1.) That pole coming out of the nose. (The pole halfway back doesn't bother me much.)

2.) Next time, I want there to be something to look at in the mirror, part of the train hopefully.


Joe
__________________
Joe the Photog Dot Com
Joe the Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 05:15 PM   #22
Ween
Senior Member
 
Ween's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,861
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B.
He only quoted three...
Not quote. He was quoting your second post where you made the remark about all the back rubbing as well. See:

Quote:
If you don't like this "back rubbing", then either keep quite or get off this forum.
But it doesn't matter. Hopefully lesson learned: open-ended posts lead to assumptions which require later explanation...
__________________
Ween is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 07:21 PM   #23
Mike B.
Banned
 
Mike B.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,343
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Blaszczyk (2)
Maybe if you took the time actually read what others say you would have notice Something tells me this isn't the ONLY photo of the train Joe took (I could be wrong) but it was just the one he chose to upload to RP because its a heck of a lot more interesting than a wedgie most others would have.
You really think these mirror shots are more interesting than a wedgie? I sure don't. I don't really enjoy looking at car mirrors and I'd rather have a clear view of the train. The first mirror shot that I saw (about 7 years ago) was cool, but everyone after that I find to be pretty boring. The first one was cool simply because I had not seen it yet. SoCalRailfan's shot was cool, because it was different, but Joe's was not.
I'm glad Joe took more than just the mirror shot. You were right in that I should have "read between the lines" and thought he probably took another shot, but it just bothers me when I see a shot like a mirror shot of a good train.
A mirror shot may be cool, but I wouldn't classify it as a good picture.

I'm spending too much time here...
Mike B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 07:28 PM   #24
Joe the Photog
Senior Member
 
Joe the Photog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 7,905
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B.
I'm spending too much time here...
No one is forcing you to stay. You talk about the back rubbing here, your words, but all you do is come here and be a pain to the rest of us. Whether it's Ween's camera which is not properly stored or the fact that I take pictures of my mirror, you get your panties all in a wad over what other people do.

I wonder why that is. On second thought, I don't care.


Joe
__________________
Joe the Photog Dot Com
Joe the Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 07:30 PM   #25
Mike B.
Banned
 
Mike B.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,343
Default

So I'm a pain because I'm not always complimenting people on their excellent photos? Telling some that I don't like their photo is a bad thing?
I think "you guys" get a lot more upset about these things than I do.
Mike B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.