Old 08-27-2007, 12:38 AM   #26
Carl Becker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC
Putting aside all that has been said, when one uses a DSLR, one has to at least sharpen the image essentially 100% of the time.
I use a PAS and I have to sharpen pretty much every photo to some extent. My dad also does. A rare one that was rejected for being oversharpened when only sharpened +1 was this one, which he had to leave the sharpening alone on:

Image © Louis Becker
PhotoID: 169754
Photograph © Louis Becker
Carl Becker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 12:41 AM   #27
JRMDC

Reading Carl's response reminded me of something (not disagreeing with him, just extending). I was specifically referring to DSLRs used to generate a RAW file. If one is taking JPGs from the camera instead, then the amount of sharpening in post-processing depends on the setting of the sharpening parameter on the camera. So a direct-from-camera JPG may indeed not require sharpening, because the camera already did it. The same is true for point and shoots.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 12:48 AM   #28
Carl Becker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC
So a direct-from-camera JPG may indeed not require sharpening, because the camera already did it. The same is true for point and shoots.
Not that it covers all point and shoots, but I have mine on the sharpest setting and still have to sharpen. Having it on others makes sharpening photos on the computer very difficult, not to mention that I don't see any good reason to leave it on those other settings anyway.
Carl Becker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 01:58 AM   #29
Ween

Whenver I shoot JPEGs, I have the in-camera parameters all set to zero. I want the camera to apply little-to-no processing to the image. My reasoning is that I trust the software of PS2 to do a better job than whatever software the camera applies to the image. Different strokes for different folks though.

Quote:
Read the manual, read the software manual, get some books, find some web pages, you need to invest some time.
I could not agree more with this statement. The more you put into something, the more you're going to get out of it. Photography is no different. The forums are an excellent resource of knowldge, but sometimes you have to make an effort to help yourself first. Reading the owner's manual of your equipment is a start. No one here can do it for you. Knowing the capabilities of your equipment, what it can and can't do, is the minimum...