Old 04-29-2005, 04:20 AM   #1
flexarmstrongrah

Default New to Rail Photography.(Help with rejection)

i've been into photography for years, but i've just recently began to look towards trains as a subject. i've been into aviation photography for just as long as i've been into photography itself(about 5 years now) so the whole transportation thing just sort of carried over. i'm focused on being a pilot, so my knowledge in aviation is pretty advanced. but i have nooooooooooo idea where to start with railroads. it'd be great to know the lines that run around my house, but i have no idea where to get that information. if you guys could help, it'd be great!

also, i just had my first photo rejected..so some help with that would be great.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=119702

i just noticed that it may be a bit dark, but besides that..i'm not sure.
flexarmstrongrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 04:41 AM   #2
Donna

Question

It would help if you told us the reason for the rejection. If it was me, I would crop off some of the bottom. First we would like to have the screeners reason for the rejection.
Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 04:46 AM   #3
Donna

Smile

There are all kinds of sites and information on locations. You can even purchase track locations according to your location. One website is: http://www.trainweb.org/brettrw/maps/maps.html
Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 07:04 AM   #4
cmherndon
Banned

Send a message via AIM to cmherndon Send a message via Yahoo to cmherndon

Although it is too dark for the site, cropping some of the bottom off or actually going back to the original and leaving some space above the the train should help that issue. The composition is nice, showing a good part of the train. The only drawback is that it's dark, and those clean UP locomotives don't help matters much.
cmherndon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 07:22 AM   #5
SD70MAC
HOBO

Woah! Thats a great photo for just starting rail photography. Im impressed. Next time try and get more sky in and less ground.....thats just my .02.
SD70MAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 10:53 AM   #6
Ru1056

Send a message via Yahoo to Ru1056
Thumbs up

Thanks for posting your rejection and asking how to improve it like an adult.

Billy
Ru1056 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 09:02 PM   #7
Joe

Send a message via AIM to Joe
Smile

Welcome aboard, Sean!

To learn about many things trains, you can start by running through the photos on RP every once in a while to see the different types of locomotive models, trains, etc. It took me a while to know all the differences in similar models, but now I can tell any locomotive apart from another. You may also want to consider purchasing "The Field Guide to Modern Diesels" if you are planning on going further into this hobby.

Regarding your photo, it is a very good for your first shot, but yes, it is definately cropped too close to the top of the train. You need more sky in the photo. Don't be afraid to ask in the forums for help, that's what it's here for!

The lead locomotive in that photo is a GE AC4400CW, while the second loco is an AC6000CW; see if you can spot the difference!

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 09:56 PM   #8
flexarmstrongrah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe

Regarding your photo, it is a very good for your first shot, but yes, it is definately cropped too close to the top of the train. You need more sky in the photo. Don't be afraid to ask in the forums for help, that's what it's here for!

The lead locomotive in that photo is a GE AC4400CW, while the second loco is an AC6000CW; see if you can spot the difference!

i was shooting from a hill, so i was looking down towards the train. i'll be sure to start filling in parts of the upper picture with sky the next time around.

the only spot i can shoot at right now is the lines behind my house, which leaves me a bit restrained. i'll have a car within a few weeks(FINALLY will be 16) and plan on driving around, and outside, of the city to spot out some different locations.
Old 04-29-2005, 10:00 PM   #9
4kV

Location: Homeless, alcoholic drifter with no permanent address

We'll be looking forward to seeing some neat shots from you in a few weeks then. Aside from the cropping issue, that's sure a good start, nothing you won't be able to iron out right away.

Click on n691lf.rrpicturearchives.net for a good laugh and waste of your time.
4kV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 04:25 AM   #10
ssw9662

Great shot for a first timer! Better than my first photo...
Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
Canon 50mm f/1.8
My Railpictures.net Photos
flickr
ssw9662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 04:44 AM   #11
flexarmstrongrah

thought i'd throw this out there, even though it's not worth reuploading.

http://img249.echo.cx/img249/7002/pict007311yu.jpg

i'm hoping this at least covers the cropping issue. i lightened it slightly, but that's about it.