Old 08-29-2009, 02:27 AM   #26
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

By the way I like the shot with all the patches of color and think if your timing was more lucky it would be in.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 02:27 AM   #27
Drewster

I understand Freedricks what your saying. And I agree with you. I gave up with the photo after the 3rd reject because the reason was correct and unfixable, it's the fact that they had to give 3 reasons leading to the last REAL reason part that annoyed me. You can see what I mean.
Drewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 02:29 AM   #28
Drewster

Quote:
Originally Posted by milwman View Post
By the way I like the shot with all the patches of color and think if your timing was more lucky it would be in.
Ya I know! Those pesky lenses, can't change those darn things fast enough! Plus I was taking video of it too.
Drewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 02:36 AM   #29
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewster View Post
instead I get 2 different reasons I can fix and fixed leading to this wasting my time and theirs. I just don't get it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freericks View Post
1) I've worked like a dog on an image, fixing issue after issue, only to have the picture rejected again and again for reason after reason that was never mentioned earlier.
2) It is impossible to give all the reasons for rejection as you are moving through lots of photos. For a moment, think of some of the stuff the screeners are passing through. There's a lot of dreck out there (for my non MOT friends, garbage)
Quote:
I hate when they do this, they haven't done this to me for a while by playing their little hard to get games. Seriously the screeners need to just be straight up honest, if you don't want the photo,
I don't understand why they just can't cut to the chase on this kind of stuff. It's really irritating!
Drewster, no one has said this completely explicitly, so here goes. Multiple serial rejections are part of the norm here. The screeners and owners are completely aware of the issue, nonetheless they have decided that this is how it goes. The reason seems to be what Freericks has said, they get a lot of shots relative to the screener's time and each shot, in most (but not all) cases, the screener looks, they see a reason for rejection, they kick it out, they move on. They don't have time to do a fuller job the first time.

NONE OF US LIKES IT.

But that is the way it is, that is how this FREE screening service works. It works well in many cases, and I presume the admins believe this is the best system they can put in.

Now to PEQ. PEQ is an instantaneous statement that the shot is not what RP wants. Usually it has nothing to do with technical quality but rather compositional content. There is no rejection that says "technical quality sub-par, no way, ever". Maybe their should be. Although there have been shots that have gotten on after 10+ screenings. So it would be a hard one to implement, how can the screeners tell that the original (unsubmitted) file out of the camera is/isn't in good enough shape to make it eventually?

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 02:38 AM   #30
JRMDC

PS: there is no such thing as a REAL reason, at least not one that the screeners are hiding from you. This system, like all systems in all realms of human endeavour, has inefficiencies. You smashed into it. Pick yourself up, stop whining, move on. Now you know. Hope you stay, I like the shot and I hope you find some similar stuff that gets on, would be good to see.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 02:40 AM   #31
John Ryan

Send a message via AIM to John Ryan

This is an interesting topic. I think the original poster needs to sit down and realize that RailPictures is an imperfect system run by humans. So long as there are multiple screeners, there are going to be many different perspectives at work. You need to expect to deal with those different perspectives. Is it fair? Is it easy? Is it consistent? No ... but it's how the system works.

Now, let's look at your photo. I took a few minutes to browse through your accepted shots, and I'm slightly mystified as to why you're flustered over this photos. You have a much better shot of UP 1996, with better lighting, contrast, and composition. The rejected photo here is "common power" "backlit" "poor contrast" "distracting shadow" "poor cropping" etc. You've done far better in the past, and the screening seems to recognize this.

When I submit a photo, I know that whether it gets in or not is ultimately out of my control. But if I concentrate on sending my very best, then my work stands a better chance of getting in. If it doesn't make it, I can always post it to flickr. Generally, the screeners have applied correct judgement to my shots - sometimes it just takes me awhile to see it.
John Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 03:14 AM   #32
EMTRailfan

Location: I can be found railfanning the abandoned B&O Northern Sub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ryan View Post
This is an interesting topic. I think the original poster needs to sit down and realize that RailPictures is an imperfect system run by humans. So long as there are multiple screeners, there are going to be many different perspectives at work. You need to expect to deal with those different perspectives. Is it fair? Is it easy? Is it consistent? No ... but it's how the system works.

Exactly.

The following isn't directed to just Drewster, but since the PEQ rejection came up, I wanted to add: It isn't necessarily "The Photo Killer." I had 3 PEQs in a row get in on appeal a few months ago. It was just a matter of opinion of one screener vs. one of the Chris' and mine as has been stated by John and the others. Just be 'careful' with your appeals, and make sure that they are justifiable.
Old 08-29-2009, 03:20 AM   #33
Dennis A. Livesey

Cool

Early on for me here, I'd upload a shot and fight and fight to get this GREAT image in the database. Then Victory! It's in! Yippee!

A week later...

I look at it and I'd think, "Ya know, this shot not so hot after all..."

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 03:34 AM   #34
Freericks
Met Fan

As an aside (and not to stir up a hornet's nest), but the only rejection that I am likely to appeal, is PEQ.

Other rejections, I'll look at and usually say, "Wow, good point... let me see if I can fix that...," or "Can't believe I didn't realize that."

PEQ, I'll either say, "Okay... they don't want it," and I'll let it go, or I'll appeal.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 05:46 AM   #35
JimThias

Quote:
I'm stating my opinion that's on a lot of other peoples mind.
Your opinion is on the minds of a lot of other people? Who? Where? Was there a public poll that I missed or something?

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 07:32 AM   #36
BarrySr

Send a message via Yahoo to BarrySr

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
Your opinion is on the minds of a lot of other people? Who? Where? Was there a public poll that I missed or something?
I was soooooo close to posting the MJ popcorn in here, but I thought I might just be stepping on JT's toes; but JT, if you should feel the need......

"I dug 'dem boats when diggin' em wasn't cool"

"Why are the crazy people so enamorate of all things EMD?" [Holloran Grade]

View My Photos on Railpictures.net
BarrySr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 08:01 AM   #37
dejv

Quote:
I would have been fine with Distracting shadows then, I can't fix that and I know it, and I would have left it. Apparently that was the biggest issue to everyone, instead I get 2 different reasons I can fix and fixed leading to this wasting my time and theirs. I just don't get it!
Maybe the shadows were made more visible by your fixes. Or the screeners wanted to see if fixed photo would overcome them.

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!
dejv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 05:32 PM   #38
stevenmwelch

Send a message via AIM to stevenmwelch Send a message via Yahoo to stevenmwelch

Drew, it's a poor lit telesmash of UP 1996 running light. It's leaning very bad too. Who cares? Do you REALLY want to be associated with that shot?

I know I wouldn't.
My Photos on RP
My RP Rejects and then Some
stevenmwelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 09:03 PM   #39
WisconsinCentral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween View Post
There's no games being played...take a better shot.

It's a square-ish photo with the telemashed subject almost dead center covered in shadows.

Can we call the whining...game over?
Uhh, Ween....you just totally missed the whoooooole point of this thread. He was fine with the rejection, but he just wished that they would have came out with all of the reasons on the first shot so that he didn't have to keep fixing it and re-uploading. Before you make snide comments maybe you should look at what the thread was based upon....

Alec
Old 08-29-2009, 09:14 PM   #40
WisconsinCentral

Let me also just state that I agree that the shot isn't really special, and I will agree with most of you that the screeners try to do their best and won't always fulfill that, atleast the first time. But back to my post, this forum has been known for quite some time now for the lovely remarks that many people enjoy making. What drives some of these posts I am a bit unclear of, maybe someone can explain why "going against the grain" on this forum just ignites a raging camp fire....

Alec
Old 08-29-2009, 11:41 PM   #41
Ween

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisconsinCentral View Post
Uhh, Ween....you just totally missed the whoooooole point of this thread. He was fine with the rejection, but he just wished that they would have came out with all of the reasons on the first shot so that he didn't have to keep fixing it and re-uploading. Before you make snide comments maybe you should look at what the thread was based upon....

Alec
Thanks for the advice, Alec, but I think I've been around long enough to what I'm talking about before I post.

Since you missed the point of my post, here's the recap:

a) No games are being played as the OP suggested
b) I provided three more reasons why it could be rejected, so if he kept uplaoding, he shouldn't be surprised if any of those rejection reasons popped up
c) The OP was whining about how RP runs its show...I was just hoping his whining game was over (and it wasn't as he kept going).
Old 08-29-2009, 11:46 PM   #42
Ween

Quote:
What drives some of these posts I am a bit unclear of, maybe someone can explain why "going against the grain" on this forum just ignites a raging camp fire....
Going against the grain is fine, but when one comes to the forums with a "I know better than the screeners" or a similar accusatory attitude, there's not much sympathy. If someone comes in willing to learn, not just about photography but maybe how RP 'works', those folks are cut a lot of slack.

It's all about attitude. When you accuse the screeners of playing games, don't expect much sympathy from the masses...
Old 08-29-2009, 11:54 PM   #43
MTM9

Quote:
I understand Freedricks what your saying. And I agree with you. I gave up with the photo after the 3rd reject because the reason was correct and unfixable, it's the fact that they had to give 3 reasons leading to the last REAL reason part that annoyed me. You can see what I mean.
With this Ween your b) is completely irrelevant, so why even post it. Also, it seems you like to come in after everything is just starting to quiet down just to stir the pot again.
MTM9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 12:02 AM   #44
Ween

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTM9 View Post
With this Ween your b) is completely irrelevant, so why even post it. Also, it seems you like to come in after everything is just starting to quiet down just to stir the pot again.
That's great, but he posted that way after I made my initial post which got Alec hot and bothered.

The original post was made ~1300MST or so...I made my post after work when I first read it, several hours later...hardly after things had died down (in fact, my post was ~10 minutes after Joe made his post which helped to get things going).

But thanks for putting it all on me...
Old 08-30-2009, 12:04 AM   #45
WisconsinCentral

Hey man, I totally agree with you that Drewster should have probably chose a different title, and not blasted the screeners the way he did, but that wasn't really what I was talking about. I don't really ever accuse the screeners of anything, but it seems like when anyone does, everyone comes running to protect them. Bottom line, the screeners can be wrong just as much as any member here, but because they are the screeners they are always "right" in people's eyes.

Like I said, I have nothing against any of the screeners, but if someone has a legitimate complaint around here it never gets addressed because everyone is berating the poster about whining. What if the poster is right? I for one can't stand the scenario in which Drewster addressed. It really does make for alot of wasted time for both the photog and the screener.

Wouldn't it be a pain to take your car to the mechanic and have them fix only one part, even though they knew that there were plenty of more that needed replacing? Can you not agree?

Alec
Old 08-30-2009, 01:25 AM   #46
BurghMan

I get such a kick out of all of this should it get in or shouldn't it get in crap.

This is a website owned an operated by the screeners. They have no obligation to anyone to accept anything. A website is nothing more then a modern version of a magazine and the screeners are essentially editors. It is their choice to accept or reject whatever they want, regardless of the quality.
BurghMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 02:21 AM   #47
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

The web sight runs on sales of advertising ( pays the bills ) hence they need you and me to click on the photos to rack up a sale (view) the better your shot is the more view's it will have. So knowing what 95% Us like to look at thats what they put on here.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 03:00 AM   #48
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisconsinCentral View Post
Like I said, I have nothing against any of the screeners, but if someone has a legitimate complaint around here it never gets addressed because everyone is berating the poster about whining. What if the poster is right?
I think most if not all of the regulars here have very clearly told some posters that the screeners were dead wrong and they should appeal. There's actually a post on the front page -- something about foreground clutter -- where I said the poster should try a looser crop and if that doesn't work, he should appeal.

The screeners have made me mad in the past on some of my own photos. They very clearly can be and often are wrong. Since they are human, this should be expected. No games are being played against anyone.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:53 AM   #49
sd9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarrySr View Post
I was soooooo close to posting the MJ popcorn in here, but I thought I might just be stepping on JT's toes; but JT, if you should feel the need......

I couldn't help it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jackson_popcorn.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	2.7 KB
ID:	4595  
sd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 04:15 AM   #50
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Send a message via AIM to Chase55671 Send a message via MSN to Chase55671

Quote:
I'm not whining. I'm stating my opinion that's on a lot of other peoples mind. If it's a PEQ then Cut to the chase and tell me straight out. PEQ we wish not to publish this. I'm fine with that I'll drop it. I DON'T like being ran around in circles and misled by a different reject reason each time especially with the same screener. That's ALL I'm asking. Just cut to the chase. I don't like this BSing around!
Yeah, you're whining. I'd simply drop it. The shot was mediocre at BEST. It lacks color, exposure, and overall is just an OK image.

The screeners are not "playing" games with you, they're rejecting the shot for legitimate reasons each time.

I agree with Steven, I wouldn't want to be associated with a shot like that.

Chase
Click here to view my photos at Railpictures.Net
SLR Night Photography Tutorial | Railpictures.Net Beginners Guide
Chase55671 is offline   Reply With Quote