Old 09-24-2011, 04:51 AM   #1
Dennis A. Livesey

Default Photographer Tenacity

I was going through the Fall 1995 issue of Vintage Rails and I came upon this quote by rail photographer James P. Gallagher.

"Rail photography is like fishing, After you have a good fishing spot, you have to find the right day to catch the fish. The same is true for photography-you have to find the right day. I looked not for how many places I could visit, but how few and how well I could do them. (Bold and italics mine DAL) That meant Thomas Viaduct, Harpers Ferry, Relay, Riverside Yard, roundhouses, and so forth, I would find places and would hit them hard, until I was ready to find another place."

James P Ghallenger Obit

Trackside Maryland

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 04:55 AM   #2
Freericks
Met Fan

Great advice -- I hope I take it.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 12:33 PM   #3
Dennis A. Livesey

About a year ago, my good buddy suggested a spot, we checked it out and indeed, great potential.

However, it is a walk in, and destroys being able to chase which meant a long drive and you get one shot only for a whole day of railfanning. A sobering point.

We decided though, one great shot was worth 10 so-so, I-already-have-what-everybody-has-shots.

What happened more or less was this.

We hiked in, set up, waited and then shot.

First time, a tree was in the way. Went home, came back couple weeks later for the next run.

Second time, tree removed by chain saw but shutter speed set wrong. Went home, came back couple weeks later for the next run.

Third time light was bad. Went home, came back couple weeks later for the next run.

Fourth time success!

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Old 09-24-2011, 02:43 PM   #4
JRMDC

By family circumstance (I take the kid or kids for a while) I was forced for a number of years to spend much of my trackside time at Gaithersburg MD. This time coincided with the beginning of my efforts to go beyond the wedgie. There are a lot of shots that can be done there in a 100 yard long space. My kids are older so I don't go there much anymore, but I can go there now and shoot a number of shots I have not yet tried.

I went from this:
Image © Janusz Mrozek
PhotoID: 181462
Photograph © Janusz Mrozek

Image © Janusz Mrozek
PhotoID: 181452

To, eventually, this:
Image © Janusz Mrozek
PhotoID: 325512

Image © Janusz Mrozek
PhotoID: 288970

I'm not claiming these shots are wonderful, just that I can continue to go there and try things. I am a ways from milking the location dry.

PS: Trackside Maryland is a nice book; I was fortunate to find it in a remainder bin for $10.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 04:04 PM   #5
Dennis A. Livesey

Thank you proving my point J; very nice shots!

I guess if anyone wanders over to my stuff here at RP,

http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=2073

they will see that Steamtown is my muse.

After seeing James P. Gallagher's work for years, I was thrilled to see his work collected and got my first edition ASAP. I am glad to see another edition is out further insuring Jim of the recognition he deserves.

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

Old 09-25-2011, 05:24 AM   #6
ssw9662

That's a pretty interesting point, especially since I used to visit only a few locations (but not by choice). When I first started rail photography I was too young to drive and was therefore limited to a handful of locations nearby. However, as soon as I got my driver's license I tried covering as much ground as possible. Although it's definitely great to get new locations under your belt, I feel like I have not nearly covered most of them to their potential. Now that I'm a college student without a car, we'll see if I revert back to the "few locations but covered well" mindset.
Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
Canon 50mm f/1.8
My Railpictures.net Photos
flickr
ssw9662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 06:13 AM   #7
Bryant Kaden

I used to look at great photographs taken by the same person and think, "Wow! Not only are they really talented, they also have incredible luck!" Anyone who has attempted to take more than one great photograph in their lifetime can tell you this isn't true. Sure, we all have luck on our side every once in a while. You can just literally stumble onto a fantastic looking scene, take the shot, and walk away. That may get you a handful of great pictures. However, for the truly great photographers that consistently produce stunning images and a lot of them, luck has almost nothing to do with it. They're not luckier than the rest of us, they are what your thread title implies: tenacious. You never know when it will be "the right day" when everything comes together. If you want to be there to capture that magical moment, you can hope that you're lucky, or you try to remove as much luck from the equation by showing up again and again. This is true of most photographers, but I think especially so of railroad photographers where you're dealing with a moving subject in a dynamic environment. That's why I think this "not how many...but how few and how well" approach is great advice, not just for finding all the angles at a particular location, but because if you want to take a lot of great pictures, you can't be lucky, you have to be tenacious.
Old 09-25-2011, 07:30 AM   #8
Greg P

Send a message via AIM to Greg P

St. Denis was the place I really began to learn and hone the skills needed to produce even a good weggie. Understanding things like lighting, composition, learning to use my camera I learned here. I agree with what he says, I did not feel like I had really mastered the basics until I was able get all of the shots I wanted onto RP from there. Still I wonder what I'm missing.

Image © Greg Primrose
PhotoID: 330633
Photograph © Greg Primrose

Then take that skill and apply it to a bigger scene.

Image © Greg Primrose
PhotoID: 353030

But I would argue you can never completely remove the element of luck. I've been to Aberdeen probably 10-20 times and the NEC runs through there 7 days a week, but one day I was there and luck gave me an unusual NEC movement.

Image © Greg Primrose
PhotoID: 347832

I especially enjoy seeing other photographers images of Baltimore and Maryland, since it's where I've spent 95% of my life, to see their views on things I might not even see can often be a good muse. We are the city that gave birth to trains.

The other thing I find interesting is how two views from the same location can produce radically different results

Image © Greg Primrose
PhotoID: 341110

My 7th Best Picture

Image © Greg Primrose
PhotoID: 368811

I stepped across the road, and it is in one of the 7 worst performing pictures.
Greg P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 02:07 PM   #9
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis A. Livesey View Post
I was going through the Fall 1995 issue of Vintage Rails and I came upon this quote by rail photographer James P. Gallagher.

"Rail photography is like fishing, After you have a good fishing spot, you have to find the right day to catch the fish. The same is true for photography-you have to find the right day. I looked not for how many places I could visit, but how few and how well I could do them. (Bold and italics mine DAL) That meant Thomas Viaduct, Harpers Ferry, Relay, Riverside Yard, roundhouses, and so forth, I would find places and would hit them hard, until I was ready to find another place."
In other words, he used to really whore a spot out until he didn't think there were any other possible angles to shoot. I know that oh too well...just do a search for my name and "New Richmond."

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 05:34 PM   #10
Dennis A. Livesey

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
In other words, he used to really whore a spot out until he didn't think there were any other possible angles to shoot. I know that oh too well...just do a search for my name and "New Richmond."
What is your night rate these days?

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

Old 09-25-2011, 05:54 PM   #11
Freericks
Met Fan

Quote:
There's a discount now that he lost Sheen and Spitzer as regulars.
Old 09-25-2011, 11:36 PM   #12
JimThias

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freericks View Post

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
Old 09-26-2011, 12:04 AM   #13
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freericks View Post
LoL!!!
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 12:15 AM   #14
Hatchetman
Part-Time Railfan

tenacity is good, but there are some photo savants that would go to the same spot I've been to 100 times and find a great shot immediately.
Hatchetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 12:21 AM   #15
Dennis A. Livesey

I shook Spitzer's hand once before he was governor...I feel so dirty...I know how Jim feels...

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

Old 09-26-2011, 12:54 AM   #16
JimThias

I'm lost...no idea what you're talking about (if in fact you meant me when you said "Jim.")

Old 09-26-2011, 01:14 AM   #17
Dennis A. Livesey

Charles can explain, I can't!

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

Old 09-26-2011, 01:18 AM   #18
JimThias

Charlie Sheen? Elliot Spitzer? I'm lost.

What was your "night rate" comment referring to?

Old 09-26-2011, 01:20 AM   #19
Freericks
Met Fan

Whoring + Night Rate = commodity that may have lost value now that Charlie and Elliot are no longer participating.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:28 PM   #20
Wizzo

Quote:
In the UK, the section of line near Crofton is such a spot, but since within 2 miles the line turns through nearly 270 degrees you can get the light where ever you want throughout the day, and a canal runs alongside giving good access. I've been shooting that stretch for nearly 30 years and I still keep finding inspiration.

Press here to see my pics on railpictures.net

More pics here D1059 on Flickr
Wizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 01:05 PM   #21
WMHeilman

Quote:
Charlie Sheen? Elliot Spitzer? I'm lost.

What was your "night rate" comment referring to?
Come on JT! You gotta get that one.
WMHeilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 07:03 PM   #22
lock4244

I'm shooting CP Havelock Sub (Kawartha Lakes Rwy internal shortline) as much as I can and in every possible location and angle as best I can. A tall order when they only run weekdays (now anyways) and you can't take every day off work you'd like. Some say overdone, but if you're going to cover a subject for posterity before it's gone (or radically changed as the proposed rebuild for GO Transit commuter trains would do), no point in doing it half-assed.

Insert witty comment here

Hot girl on girl action here!

More Pics Here
lock4244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 12:29 AM   #23
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMHeilman View Post
Come on JT! You gotta get that one.
Yeah, that one went right over my head. I guess I haven't had my mind in the gutter as much lately.

Old 09-27-2011, 04:53 PM   #24
Mgoldman

Quote:
About a year ago, my good buddy suggested a spot, we checked it out and indeed, great potential.

However, it is a walk in, and destroys being able to chase which meant a long drive and you get one shot only for a whole day of railfanning. A sobering point.

We decided though, one great shot was worth 10 so-so, I-already-have-what-everybody-has-shots.

What happened more or less was this.

We hiked in, set up, waited and then shot.

First time, a tree was in the way. Went home, came back couple weeks later for the next run.

Second time, tree removed by chain saw but shutter speed set wrong. Went home, came back couple weeks later for the next run.

Third time light was bad. Went home, came back couple weeks later for the next run.

Fourth time success!
You still need a plume and I still need Fall colors - tenacity!

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 05:22 PM   #25
Freericks
Met Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman View Post
You still need a plume and I still need Fall colors - tenacity!

/Mitch
Are we speaking railfan photos or wardrobe?