Cjbdiesel

Default Comp/Balance problem

I don't know what to do anymore.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...69&key=3424346
Cjbdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:00 PM   #2
BobE
Banned

A- for effort, but this is a no-win, I think. Biggest problem is that you chopped the railcar at a really awkward spot, leaving the point of interest (figures in the cab) at dead center. You could improve a little by cropping from the right and top.

Next time, lead from the right or left edge of your viewfinder, depending on direction of motion, not the center.
BobE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:12 PM   #3
magicman_841

To me, the main point of interest is the crew member in the front door window. Thus, that point should be at the intersection of the lines of thirds (i.e. upper or lower right), and not right in the middle.

In simpler terms, you should have pointed your camera more to the left.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:33 PM   #4
Cjbdiesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobE View Post
A- for effort, but this is a no-win, I think. Biggest problem is that you chopped the railcar at a really awkward spot, leaving the point of interest (figures in the cab) at dead center. You could improve a little by cropping from the right and top.

Next time, lead from the right or left edge of your viewfinder, depending on direction of motion, not the center.
I was hanging out of a car window on a road parallel to the tracks. Whole train in one shot = No
Old 02-25-2013, 07:04 PM   #5
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjbdiesel View Post
I was hanging out of a car window on a road parallel to the tracks. Whole train in one shot = No
Half train on RP = No
Old 02-25-2013, 07:22 PM   #6
JRMDC

The issue isn't whole train vs not, the issue is balance within the frame. RP does not go for a shot with the focal point positioned right in the middle. You can crop on the right in such a way that the railcar fills 2/3 of the frame horizontally. I would crop a bit off the top also, and actually I might also crop on the left. If you can't get the entire railcar, then go for something which is "complete" in a sense and fills the space, which here I suspect is some place not too far behind the truck, as opposed to the mid-car chop you have now.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:02 PM   #7
Cjbdiesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
The issue isn't whole train vs not, the issue is balance within the frame. RP does not go for a shot with the focal point positioned right in the middle. You can crop on the right in such a way that the railcar fills 2/3 of the frame horizontally. I would crop a bit off the top also, and actually I might also crop on the left. If you can't get the entire railcar, then go for something which is "complete" in a sense and fills the space, which here I suspect is some place not too far behind the truck, as opposed to the mid-car chop you have now.
Don't mind the B&W and editing (Personal Project) but is this a better over-all shot?

I'm deeming this a no-go shot otherwise. I can't redo the shot for a long time. I'll just have to try again from photo location #2.

Last edited by Cjbdiesel; 02-25-2013 at 08:05 PM.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:25 PM   #8
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicman_841 View Post
To me, the main point of interest is the crew member in the front door window. Thus, that point should be at the intersection of the lines of thirds (i.e. upper or lower right), and not right in the middle.
My previous snarkiness aside, I agree with this point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjbdiesel View Post
Don't mind the B&W and editing (Personal Project) but is this a better over-all shot?

But now, thanks in part to the B&W conversion and maybe the cropping (or maybe in whole the B&W conversion) I can't even make out the man in the window.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:34 PM   #9
JRMDC

Joe, I think you can't see the man because this is a different frame and now there is a reflection on the glass that is not in the other shot.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:28 PM   #10
BobE
Banned

"I was hanging out of a car window on a road parallel to the tracks. Whole train in one shot = No"

1. That's a really dangerous way to shoot. I hope at least someone else was driving.

2. The fact you were moving in parallel with the train actually makes it easier to frame the photo to the "Rule of Thirds" than standing still and panning.'

3. The Rule of Thirds is an artifact of Rennaissance painting theory. Are we still locked in to rules that are 700 years old?

To quote the Pirate Barbossa: "The code is more what you'd call 'guidelines' than actual rules. Welcome aboard the Black Pearl, Miss Turner."
Old 02-25-2013, 09:58 PM   #11
Cjbdiesel

Quote:
"I was hanging out of a car window on a road parallel to the tracks. Whole train in one shot = No"

1. That's a really dangerous way to shoot. I hope at least someone else was driving.

2. The fact you were moving in parallel with the train actually makes it easier to frame the photo to the "Rule of Thirds" than standing still and panning.'

3. The Rule of Thirds is an artifact of Rennaissance painting theory. Are we still locked in to rules that are 700 years old?

To quote the Pirate Barbossa: "The code is more what you'd call 'guidelines' than actual rules. Welcome aboard the Black Pearl, Miss Turner."
Yes, someone was driving while I was in the back seat...

If you knew the area, you'd understand why this is the absolute only option I had. Until then, don't mouth smart responses at me. I'm a mediocre photographer, not stupid...
Old 02-25-2013, 10:49 PM   #12
Holloran Grade
Banned

Lightbulb Not always a Hard and Fast Rule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Half train on RP = No
Just saying......

Image © EL ROCO Photography
PhotoID: 353505
Photograph © EL ROCO Photography

The OP's image has way too much space in front of the cab and the color is washed out.

Quote:

The robot and cookie cutter artists cling to rules and dogma to make up for their lack of independent creativity - so yes, they are constrained by such old theories.

Last edited by Holloran Grade; 02-26-2013 at 01:59 PM.
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:53 PM   #13
BobE
Banned

I apologize. However, I've seen fans doing truly stupid things to get a shot. I don't know that anyone has ever been killed, but it wouldn't surprise me if they had.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:31 PM   #14
Cjbdiesel

Quote:
I apologize. However, I've seen fans doing truly stupid things to get a shot. I don't know that anyone has ever been killed, but it wouldn't surprise me if they had.
It wasn't as bad as it sounds. I was buckled in and had a driver. My by far stupidest shot ever was riding in the bed of a truck while chasing a train over 16 miles.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:15 AM   #15
BobE
Banned

I learned my lesson on a bumpy farm road when I almost rolled my car while on an intercept course with steamer. No shot is that precious.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:52 AM   #16
Cjbdiesel

Quote:
I learned my lesson on a bumpy farm road when I almost rolled my car while on an intercept course with steamer. No shot is that precious.
After a while you get use to stuff like that. Nothing like telling non-railfanner friends stories like that and end it with "and that's just a typical Saturday for me!"
Old 02-26-2013, 12:41 PM   #17
JimThias

Quote:
Sitting in my driver's seat, facing the train with both elbows resting on the window sill for support.

Image © Jim Thias
PhotoID: 291384
Photograph © Jim Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:48 PM   #18
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
Joe, I think you can't see the man because this is a different frame and now there is a reflection on the glass that is not in the other shot.
The result is the same. Thwe B&W shot takes out of the most interesting elements of the shot.