Old 06-03-2006, 08:42 PM   #1
WembYard

Question Laptop computers

Does anybody have any thoughts regarding which make / model of laptop computer would be suitable for processing and viewing digital photos?
I am not looking for a desk top replacement but something that is reasonably portable so that I can try and catch up with sorting my photos out when away from home.
WembYard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 09:59 PM   #2
Cyclonetrain

Send a message via AIM to Cyclonetrain Send a message via Yahoo to Cyclonetrain

Well, Just about ANY Laptop made nowadays can handle your basic editing and viewing programs, however, I'd make sure that it has atleast 512MB of ram and 40-60GB of disk space. HP and Dell make pretty good Windows machines

Last edited by Cyclonetrain; 06-03-2006 at 10:03 PM.
Cyclonetrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 10:51 PM   #3
cactus65

Talking

I am currently using a Dell Insprion 9300 Laptop. Best $$ I have spent in a long time. This one would probably be more than you are looking for, but look at Dell before buying anything. My Unit is a Refurb., but carries the full one year warranty same as a new one. Go to the Dell website and look for the link to the Dell Outlet . That will take you to the refurbs. It will explain everything else. The 9300 I am currently using IS a desktop replacement, but have many models to choose from. Love mine, goes with me everywhere. Suggest you get one with the Pentium M processor, much faster , and runs cooler than any of the others I have tried.
Can't beat a 17" screen, 1gb ram, and 100gb HD in a laptop
Good Luck in your search and I hope I helped you
cactus65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 03:44 AM   #4
David Telesha

I've had a Dell Inspiron 1150 for the last year or so.. Got it new -- I love it. Its all I use for uploading, tweaking, and submitting my digital photos. Its handy and flawless - when I got my digital I loaded the CD w/upload program and was downloading pics off the camera in minutes. Works great -- click the RP.net link in my signature -- anything since December 25 2006 to current was taken with digital and downloaded/tweaked/uploaded via laptop with wireless in house DSL from my Dell Desktop with DSL transmitter (the desktop is an oldie, Dimension something-or-other -- got it in 1999).
Old 06-05-2006, 02:07 AM   #5
Pat Lorenz

I have a Dell Inspriron 1200 for about 6 months. I got it from the dell factory as a refurb with warranty for a bit over $500. I bought a wireless internet router. Works super, it has very long battery life. I left it go for about 8 hours. And it handels my slide scanner very fast. I dont know about storage of photos though, i shoot film so nothing i upload or scan is kept on cds or on a computer. But defanetly dont get a compaq or gateway. And defanetly look into dell. I also heard the sony ones are really good to.
Pat Lorenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 05:50 AM   #6
Switched out

Default Go with Dell

I have a Dell Inspiron 6000 that I use for work. I am very happy with it the only down side is its weight 3.5Kg I think. If you are going to travel with your laptop I would look at the Dell Latitude range as they are lighter. You can also get much lighter but you start to sacrifice features and screen size to save on weight.

Stay clear of HP/Compaq we have a number of them at work and they have all given trouble at some time. The Dell after sales service is top notch.

As with all things computer the more memory and hard disk space you can get the better.
Switched out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 03:49 AM   #7
Bryan Jones

I myself am currently using a Dell Inspiron 600m for over a year now and it is a great unit. I do almost all of my digital image editing on the laptop these days and hardly ever use my desktop, usually only when I am scanning slides. Think I paid around $1200 for this computer brand new.
My folks just got a Dell XPS 140 about a month ago and that itself is a very fine computer, though I haven't done any image editing on it so I can't judge how fast it is as far as that goes.

Bryan Jones
Brooks,KY
Bryan Jones is offline   Reply With Quote