Old 10-31-2012, 08:05 PM   #1
DWHonan
Senior Member
 
DWHonan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Issaquah, WA
Posts: 590
Default PEQ rejection -- thoughts on appealing?

It's been a while since I last posted here. Life takes strange twists once you give a ring to a girl.

Anyway, a few weeks ago I was in Scotland on my honeymoon and captured the following shot of the Forth Bridge at twilight:
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...98&key=4465109
The only reason I can figure for why it got PEQ'd is that there isn't a train in the scene; even if there was, given the immensity of the bridge it would take a sharp viewer to find it amongst all that steel (they generally run short trains of DMUs). Rail infrastructure photos aren't uncommon on RP -- after all, this site is (supposedly) dedicated to "railroad photography," not merely "train photography." What are your thoughts on appealing vs. letting it go, and if you think an appeal is warranted, what justification(s) would you use?

Thanks,
-Dave
__________________
Dave Honan
Issaquah, WA
View my portfolio at RailPictures.net
View my portfolio at Flickr Not quite so new anymore!
DWHonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:48 PM   #2
JRMDC
Senior Member
 
JRMDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 11,201
Default

My inclination is no. It is a very nice image, a beaut. But I think that infrastructure shots without trains on RP tend to have some sort of a rail dimension. For example, a station shot, it shows the whole station, the purpose of the station is or was to serve trains and passengers. One doesn't tend to see, say, a fragment of a station. That sort of composition tends to emphasize architectural issues over rail issues.

So here, a full span shot might be acceptable, it is a railroad bridge (are there any no-train-present bridge shots on RP?). By contrast, your shot is a shot of structural detail with artistic merit. In doing so you have removed the railroad-ness, the connectivity from A to B across C.

To me a high-rail on the track is fine - don't see too many of those on RP! - but a high-rail on the interstate highway is not, even if it has a clear RR logo. Or a 53' IM container sitting at a non-rail served warehouse. Something along the lines of these thoughts is why I think this is not RP-material.

I suspect I wouldn't even care for a shot of a full rail bridge sans train for RP, but it is a matter of taste, and here, a matter of RP criteria, which are not mine.
__________________
My RP pix are here.
My Flickr pix are here.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:47 PM   #3
DWHonan
Senior Member
 
DWHonan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Issaquah, WA
Posts: 590
Default

I'm at work and don't have time for a fully-considered rebuttal, but here are a few examples of "no-train-present bridge shots on RP" from my collection:
Image © David Honan
PhotoID: 292569
Photograph © David Honan

Image © David Honan
PhotoID: 296503
Photograph © David Honan

Image © David Honan
PhotoID: 280060
Photograph © David Honan

Image © David Honan
PhotoID: 374339
Photograph © David Honan

I'm sure there are others out there.
__________________
Dave Honan
Issaquah, WA
View my portfolio at RailPictures.net
View my portfolio at Flickr Not quite so new anymore!
DWHonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:35 PM   #4
JRMDC
Senior Member
 
JRMDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 11,201
Default

Re shots, cool

Re "rebuttal," I'm not arguing with you, I am not laying out facts or non-facts to rebut, just offering a view. You can't touch me!
__________________
My RP pix are here.
My Flickr pix are here.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:07 PM   #5
jnohallman
Senior Member
 
jnohallman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,527
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWHonan View Post
I'm at work and don't have time for a fully-considered rebuttal, but here are a few examples of "no-train-present bridge shots on RP" from my collection:
I'm sure there are others out there.
I think Janusz was right in suggesting that, because the rejected photo shows only a portion of the bridge (not even a majority of the structure), the chances of getting RP to take it on appeal are slim. The other shots you chose show either the whole bridge structure, or the vast majority of it. Having said that, it's RP's loss in rejecting the photo - it is indeed a beauty of a shot!

Jon
__________________
"Everybody talks about the weather, but nobody does anything about it." - Mark Twain

Click here to see my photos on RP.net!

Do not, under any circumstances whatsoever, click here. Don't even think about it. I'm warning you!
jnohallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:35 PM   #6
CSX1702
Senior Member
 
CSX1702's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 1,268
Default

Part of the rejection reason may be, in addition to not having the whole bridge, may be that in your other "no train" trestle shots, you can tell that they are/ were railroad trestles. In the rejected picture, you can't really tell that it is a railroad bridge.
__________________
Derek

Flickr

Out Of Place Album
CSX1702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:29 AM   #7
jac_murphy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 373
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSX1702 View Post
Part of the rejection reason may be, in addition to not having the whole bridge, may be that in your other "no train" trestle shots, you can tell that they are/ were railroad trestles. In the rejected picture, you can't really tell that it is a railroad bridge.
You can't tell that one of the most famous - and recognizable - railroad bridges in the world is a railroad bridge?

-Jacques
jac_murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:43 AM   #8
CSX1702
Senior Member
 
CSX1702's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 1,268
Default

Well I didn't recognize it. And Railpics is a fairly U.S. dominated site. Lol. But even if one did recognize it, the features of it being a railroad, like the tracks, are not visible.
__________________
Derek

Flickr

Out Of Place Album
CSX1702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:14 AM   #9
DWHonan
Senior Member
 
DWHonan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Issaquah, WA
Posts: 590
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
My inclination is no. It is a very nice image, a beaut. But I think that infrastructure shots without trains on RP tend to have some sort of a rail dimension. (snip) One doesn't tend to see, say, a fragment of a station. That sort of composition tends to emphasize architectural issues over rail issues.
Thanks, J. But what precludes an architectural issue from also being a railroad photograph? This unique structure absolutely screams "I'm a railroad bridge!" -- no other type of conveyance requires such massive supports carrying a perfectly level deck. (OK, except for canal bridges, but they're so rare and relatively small compared to this example as to be negligible.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
So here, a full span shot might be acceptable
There are already at least two full-length shots of the 1.57-mile-long bridge in the database; I wanted to present a different view of the bridge showcasing its most distinctive element, the cantilever structure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
You can't touch me!
Hey, you're right -- you're in Maryland and I'm in (the other) Washington!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnohallman View Post
The other shots you chose show either the whole bridge structure, or the vast majority of it. Having said that, it's RP's loss in rejecting the photo - it is indeed a beauty of a shot!
Thanks, Jon. What I'm trying to get at here is that the whole bridge doesn't need to be presented; one-sixth of it is sufficient to convey the message that it's a ridiculously massive railroad bridge, an impression of scale that gets lost when one goes wide to incorporate the whole thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSX1702 View Post
But even if one did recognize it, the features of it being a railroad, like the tracks, are not visible.
That argument doesn't hold water because you also can't see the deck in the four examples I provided -- not to mention that three of those bridges are abandoned, so they aren't even "a railroad" anymore.

Thanks for the feedback, guys; I'll give some thought as to whether an appeal is warranted. I'll also look through the other photos I took to see if I can find something worth posting so that massive caption I wrote isn't wasted.
__________________
Dave Honan
Issaquah, WA
View my portfolio at RailPictures.net
View my portfolio at Flickr Not quite so new anymore!
DWHonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:41 PM   #10
JimThias
Senior Member
 
JimThias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 9,773
Default

As with the others, I'd like to see more of the bridge, especially with the light and color contrasts that a wider-captured scene would create.
__________________
.
Rhymes with slice, rice and mice, and probably should be spelled like "Tice."

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:19 PM   #11
jnohallman
Senior Member
 
jnohallman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,527
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWHonan View Post
What I'm trying to get at here is that the whole bridge doesn't need to be presented; one-sixth of it is sufficient to convey the message that it's a ridiculously massive railroad bridge, an impression of scale that gets lost when one goes wide to incorporate the whole thing.
This is a perfectly accurate statement, and one that unfortunately has nothing to do with the standards that RP has set for what they want to include on their site. As I said earlier, their loss.

Jon
__________________
"Everybody talks about the weather, but nobody does anything about it." - Mark Twain

Click here to see my photos on RP.net!

Do not, under any circumstances whatsoever, click here. Don't even think about it. I'm warning you!
jnohallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:38 PM   #12
JRMDC
Senior Member
 
JRMDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 11,201
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWHonan View Post
This unique structure absolutely screams "I'm a railroad bridge!" -- no other type of conveyance requires such massive supports carrying a perfectly level deck.
Good insight, but I didn't have that instinct to make that connection so I heard no scream.
Quote:
There are already at least two full-length shots of the 1.57-mile-long bridge in the database; I wanted to present a different view of the bridge showcasing its most distinctive element, the cantilever structure.
Kudos! In terms of RP as currently constituted, oh well.

Quote:
Thanks, Jon. What I'm trying to get at here is that the whole bridge doesn't need to be presented; one-sixth of it is sufficient to convey the message that it's a ridiculously massive railroad bridge, an impression of scale that gets lost when one goes wide to incorporate the whole thing.
A good point!

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback, guys; I'll give some thought as to whether an appeal is warranted. I'll also look through the other photos I took to see if I can find something worth posting so that massive caption I wrote isn't wasted.
You know, I think most people actually are not that close to ending up in the dungeon of too-many-appeals. I suspect you are not one of the few who are on the verge of getting the RP boot. You feel strongly about it, appeal! Go for it! The issue here is simple, RP has a range of types of shots it likes to see, yours is outside that range, you have your reasons as to why it belongs anyway. Appeal, they agree with you or not. What else matters at this point?
__________________
My RP pix are here.
My Flickr pix are here.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:13 PM   #13
DWHonan
Senior Member
 
DWHonan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Issaquah, WA
Posts: 590
Default

Thanks for the discussion and encouragement, all the "J" guys who responded. Politely offering a well-reasoned argument for why the photo was worthy of inclusion worked:

Image © David Honan
PhotoID: 413645
Photograph © David Honan
__________________
Dave Honan
Issaquah, WA
View my portfolio at RailPictures.net
View my portfolio at Flickr Not quite so new anymore!
DWHonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:15 PM   #14
crazytiger
Senior Member
 
crazytiger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NS Greenville District
Posts: 1,473
Default

I was about to post a response saying that I thought it warranted inclusion. I went back to take second look at the rejected photo and it wasn't there. Apparently, appealed and accepted.

Image © David Honan
PhotoID: 413645
Photograph © David Honan


Great shot, Dave!

Edit: Ninja'd
__________________
Peter Lewis | Portfolio | Profile | Flickr | Facebook

Canon EOS 40D
Canon EF 50 f/1.8 II
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM
Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM


Quote:
Originally Posted by A Friend
everytime i see non-train photos of yours i think, "so much talent. wasted on trains."
crazytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:33 PM   #15
Hatchetman
Part-Time Railfan
 
Hatchetman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,381
Default

Maybe the screener just forgot who you were.

BTW if you think life changes when you get married, you ain't seen nothing 'til the kids come along!
__________________
Now with Flickr!
Hatchetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:41 PM   #16
jnohallman
Senior Member
 
jnohallman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,527
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWHonan View Post
Thanks for the discussion and encouragement, all the "J" guys who responded. Politely offering a well-reasoned argument for why the photo was worthy of inclusion worked:

Image © David Honan
PhotoID: 413645
Photograph © David Honan
Congratulations on getting them to see reason!

Jon
__________________
"Everybody talks about the weather, but nobody does anything about it." - Mark Twain

Click here to see my photos on RP.net!

Do not, under any circumstances whatsoever, click here. Don't even think about it. I'm warning you!
jnohallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:14 PM   #17
CSX1702
Senior Member
 
CSX1702's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 1,268
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWHonan View Post

That argument doesn't hold water because you also can't see the deck in the four examples I provided -- not to mention that three of those bridges are abandoned, so they aren't even "a railroad" anymore.
Not what I meant. I meant that with the other pictures, it is a lot easier to see that the bridge or trestles are/ were railroad trestles. With the new shot, never seeing that bridge before, I would not be able to set it apart from a road bridge. But don't get me wrong, I think this is a great picture, I was just trying to maybe think in terms of what RP would want. But since they accepted it, yeah my statement doesn't mean anything anymore.
__________________
Derek

Flickr

Out Of Place Album
CSX1702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:04 PM   #18
MasCoRailbuff
Member
 
MasCoRailbuff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Shelton, WA
Posts: 59
Default

Guess they didn't spot the "dog mess" Very pretty pic, glad to see it on!
__________________
___________

Joel Hawthorn

My stuff on Railpics

My Zenfolio project
MasCoRailbuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:41 AM   #19
DWHonan
Senior Member
 
DWHonan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Issaquah, WA
Posts: 590
Default

Thanks, guys!
__________________
Dave Honan
Issaquah, WA
View my portfolio at RailPictures.net
View my portfolio at Flickr Not quite so new anymore!
DWHonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:29 PM   #20
JimThias
Senior Member
 
JimThias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 9,773
Default

David, did you also take a wider shot? I'd love to see the full scene showing the contrast of color and lighting with the surroundings.
__________________
.
Rhymes with slice, rice and mice, and probably should be spelled like "Tice."

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:21 PM   #21
DWHonan
Senior Member
 
DWHonan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Issaquah, WA
Posts: 590
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
David, did you also take a wider shot? I'd love to see the full scene showing the contrast of color and lighting with the surroundings.
That's like asking a politician if he shook somebody's hand today. I'll dig out and post one of the wide shots this weekend.
__________________
Dave Honan
Issaquah, WA
View my portfolio at RailPictures.net
View my portfolio at Flickr Not quite so new anymore!
DWHonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:59 PM   #22
JimThias
Senior Member
 
JimThias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 9,773
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWHonan View Post
That's like asking a politician if he shook somebody's hand today. I'll dig out and post one of the wide shots this weekend.
I do like your accepted shot, but I'd love to see the full bridge in all its glory with the lighting you experienced that evening.
__________________
.
Rhymes with slice, rice and mice, and probably should be spelled like "Tice."

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:15 PM   #23
jac_murphy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 373
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
I do like your accepted shot, but I'd love to see the full bridge in all its glory with the lighting you experienced that evening.
Might this help?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/robinan...in/7277884868/

-Jacques
jac_murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:49 AM   #24
DWHonan
Senior Member
 
DWHonan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Issaquah, WA
Posts: 590
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
I do like your accepted shot, but I'd love to see the full bridge in all its glory with the lighting you experienced that evening.
Here ya go! This is likely cropped a bit too pano for RP's purposes (1.65:1); I'll try uploading a somewhat squarer shot once enough time has passed that I (hopefully) won't be at risk of a similar-to-previous rejection.



Have I mentioned there was also a spectacular sunrise the next morning?



We actually had great weather for most of our visit to Scotland; it wasn't until the last couple days that we (mostly me -- Cortney smartly stayed in the car) got rained upon.
__________________
Dave Honan
Issaquah, WA
View my portfolio at RailPictures.net
View my portfolio at Flickr Not quite so new anymore!
DWHonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:29 PM   #25
JimThias
Senior Member
 
JimThias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 9,773
Default

Wow...awesome. Well done, sir! Thanks for sharing.
__________________
.
Rhymes with slice, rice and mice, and probably should be spelled like "Tice."

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.