Old 02-23-2020, 05:09 PM   #26
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
Hi Jim,

Your image of this display engine is far nicer than the one discussed earlier in the thread. The light is great, and the down-angle is not too steep...just enough to clear the fence. You’re a little more head-on than I like, but you’ve also included a coaling tower in the composition, which really enhances the scene. Not sure you could do much better.
Thanks, Kevin. I sure would have liked to have been more to the right, but as you can see with the shadow in the foreground, there was a little bit of an obstacle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
Knowing you have a 'level' complex like I do, you lack of response concerning the perspective distortion and non-leveled drone shots is baffling to me.

Neighborhood fireworks and improperly shoveled driveways,

Hey now, I've been critical of wide angle distortion in drone shots, but maybe not so much here. Bugs me when I see someone shooting ultra wide, giving the horizon of the earth a curve. That just looks terrible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassArt Images View Post
Was that with your 25ft. tripod??
Yes, but only extended up about 12-15 feet.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 12:55 PM   #27
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
Hey now, I've been critical of wide angle distortion in drone shots, but maybe not so much here. Bugs me when I see someone shooting ultra wide, giving the horizon of the earth a curve. That just looks terrible.
I will give you a pass since my online photography presence is limited to this site, my website, and maybe 2 groups on facebook.

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 05:18 PM   #28
ShortlinesUSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Same here, actually. Maybe it's jealousy from folks who don't have drones. I don't have one, but some of the photography I see taken with one are really good. Drones are just another tool to get different perspectives
Agreed, Joe. However, just like the early days of the Alien Bee craze, some people do it right, and some don't. But the "Golly, jee whiz!" factor does seem to have some effect on the acceptance rate in both cases, IMO.

Shortline and Regional RR forum moderator
ShortlinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 09:28 AM   #29
J-M Frybourg

Hi guys, I would just like to get your views about whether this picture should belong to "the BEST railroad photos on the net": https://www.railpictures.net/photo/730511/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	730511 Tom Farence merdique.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	759.4 KB
ID:	9782  
J-M Frybourg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 09:30 AM   #30
J-M Frybourg

More precisely, what are the merits for this picture to pass all the rejection reasons like Poor Estheticl Quailty, Composition unbalanced, etc. ?
Old 03-31-2020, 12:01 PM   #31
bigbassloyd

After seeing this different, yet superior version posted years back:

Image © Tom Farence
PhotoID: 454437
Photograph © Tom Farence

I would have probably rejected it.

Loyd L.

Old 03-31-2020, 01:30 PM   #32
J-M Frybourg

Quote:
After seeing this different, yet superior version posted years back:

Image © Tom Farence
PhotoID: 454437
Photograph © Tom Farence

I would have probably rejected it.

Loyd L.
I am aligned. Certainly does not deserve being qualified as one of the "BEST" railroad photos on the net.

The problem is: when non-US pictures of same historical interest are submitted. They are rejected even for some slight defect (as per RPN admission rules). Which is a gross discrimination. The negative consequence for RPN is that RPN does not gain legitimacy to pretend represent worldwide railroad photography, and remains US-biased.
Old 03-31-2020, 02:13 PM   #33
Grewup on the CW

[quote from J-M Frybourg......The problem is: when non-US pictures of same historical interest are submitted. They are rejected even for some slight defect (as per RPN admission rules). Which is a gross discrimination. The negative consequence for RPN is that RPN does not gain legitimacy to pretend represent worldwide railroad photography, and remains US-biased.]

Since I am a born and raised American I cannot voice an opinion either way to your "Foreigner" treatment but I can disagree as to the "US-biased treatment". I have tried to submit several of my historical photo's that are of rather bad quality and all but one has been turned down. The one I finally got accepted was the result of my relentless pursuit to get "my" photo on RP. That pic was rejected several times but I kept trying and editing and one day it finally got on RP. IMO, it was simply screeners preference that finally got the pass. It's all in the eyes on the beholder and screener's preference will always cause a personal irritation as to why one pic makes it and another does not. This site, as with most things here on earth, is not perfect. Personally, I just take it with a grain salt and move on to life's next adventure.

Last edited by Grewup on the CW; 03-31-2020 at 02:16 PM.
Grewup on the CW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 04:20 PM   #34
J-M Frybourg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grewup on the CW View Post
[quote from J-M Frybourg......The problem is: when non-US pictures of same historical interest are submitted. They are rejected even for some slight defect (as per RPN admission rules). Which is a gross discrimination. The negative consequence for RPN is that RPN does not gain legitimacy to pretend represent worldwide railroad photography, and remains US-biased.]

Since I am a born and raised American I cannot voice an opinion either way to your "Foreigner" treatment but I can disagree as to the "US-biased treatment". I have tried to submit several of my historical photo's that are of rather bad quality and all but one has been turned down. The one I finally got accepted was the result of my relentless pursuit to get "my" photo on RP. That pic was rejected several times but I kept trying and editing and one day it finally got on RP. IMO, it was simply screeners preference that finally got the pass. It's all in the eyes on the beholder and screener's preference will always cause a personal irritation as to why one pic makes it and another does not. This site, as with most things here on earth, is not perfect. Personally, I just take it with a grain salt and move on to life's next adventure.
Well... The picture https://www.railpictures.net/photo/730511/ would CERTAINLY be rejected if it would have been shot in Europe. This is precisely what I call pro-US bias.
Old 03-31-2020, 04:45 PM   #35
Daniel SIMON

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-M Frybourg View Post
More precisely, what are the merits for this picture to pass all the rejection reasons like Poor Estheticl Quailty, Composition unbalanced, etc. ?
I fully agree with Jean-Marc on this one. I was very surprised to see that such a poor quality photo can be accepted to the database as it combines, in my view, several reasons for a standard RPN rejection.

- poor aesthetic quality
- noise
- Unbalanced
- Leaning right
Daniel SIMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 05:27 PM   #36
Grewup on the CW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel SIMON View Post
I fully agree with Jean-Marc on this one. I was very surprised to see that such a poor quality photo can be accepted to the database as it combines, in my view, several reasons for a standard RPN rejection.

- poor aesthetic quality
- noise
- Unbalanced
- Leaning right
I agree the current accepted shot has issues (As well as my accepted shot) BUT Jean_Marc changed his argument in a later post to US vs the World acceptance which is why I chimed in. I get the frustration BUT I dont think it has anything to do with "What part of the world" the pic came from but merely Screener preference and those inconsistency's create the frustrations.

Since we are putting things out there, I have a request for you non USA posters (and this applies to some USA posters), I like your train pics, I like looking at them BUT when there is no description to tell me anything about your pic/subject matter or relevant history to the pic, How is that educating me or entertaining me thru your story about your pic?? Tom's pictures (I suspect/assume) get more passes than some pics may warrant simply because he tells us a story or puts some descriptive info with it. While his current accepted story was rather short he still put something out there. Tell me a story, give me a personal reason to visit your country and see your trains.
Old 03-31-2020, 05:54 PM   #37
Daniel SIMON

Quote:
I agree the current accepted shot has issues (As well as my accepted shot) BUT Jean_Marc changed his argument in a later post to US vs the World acceptance which is why I chimed in. I get the frustration BUT I dont think it has anything to do with "What part of the world" the pic came from but merely Screener preference and those inconsistency's create the frustrations.

Since we are putting things out there, I have a request for you non USA posters (and this applies to some USA posters), I like your train pics, I like looking at them BUT when there is no description to tell me anything about your pic/subject matter or relevant history to the pic, How is that educating me or entertaining me thru your story about your pic?? Tom's pictures (I suspect/assume) get more passes than some pics may warrant simply because he tells us a story or puts some descriptive info with it. While his current accepted story was rather short he still put something out there. Tell me a story, give me a personal reason to visit your country and see your trains.
Fully agree with you. A poor quality photo must be rejected regardless of its geographic origin.
Daniel SIMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 06:26 PM   #38
Grewup on the CW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel SIMON View Post
Fully agree with you. A poor quality photo must be rejected regardless of its geographic origin.
Maybe admin will chime in on this thread and voice his opinion or define "Best" BUT I have to disagree with you Daniel on pics that are of poor quality taken with lesser quality camera than those of today's technology. I define the "Best" as to what makes the pic the "Best" and that is NOT always the quality of the pic but rather the story, memory or historical significance. So I am thankful for those lesser quality pics that did get accepted here on RP, without them I wouldn't know as much about the the "Milwaukee Road, Nickel Plate, SOO, N&W, Southern, Chesapeake Western, Denver Rio Grande just to name a few 'Murica trains........
Old 03-31-2020, 06:48 PM   #39
KevinM

Quote:
Tom's pictures (I suspect/assume) get more passes than some pics may warrant simply because he tells us a story or puts some descriptive info with it. While his current accepted story was rather short he still put something out there. Tell me a story, give me a personal reason to visit your country and see your trains.
I suspect that folks may be mistaken in assuming that RP.net's ONLY "raison d'etre" is to simply showcase the best quality photos on the net, from a technical perspective. While I think that's what they generally aim for, we all need to keep reminding ourselves that RP.net is not a hobby for the site owners, it's a business. It costs money to rent servers, storage and networking. And while it may be a noble goal to aim for high quality, they also have to aim for what they know pulls in the views, which keeps the advertisers happy and the revenue flowing in. Over time, I think that the owners have studied the performance of the material being posted and determined that a relatively small percentage of contributors bring in much more than their share of the total site views. With that knowledge, they might easily make the decision to waive the "submission guidelines" in some cases for those contributors, knowing that on average, those contributors are going to make them some money.

While I would agree that the shot being discussed is not among the contributor's best submissions, the gentleman has brought over 16 million views to the site, and the evidence definitely suggests that his scans of legacy railroad photos are extremely popular. The shot in question, with all of its faults, has over 9,000 views.....a lot more than the one I submitted today will ever get. As long his "technical zingers" don't become the norm, I suspect that the site owners are more than willing to hold their nose once in a while, because in general, his stuff is bringing home the bacon.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 07:24 PM   #40
RobJor

Wisconsin native, Milw employee for a while, Milwaukee Road fan, (Packers Fan, Old Milwaukee Braves fan, that is County Stadium) so you can guess what my decision would be.

Having said that, I have had pretty interesting historic photos rejected . Some were zooms like Tom's, don't think all the zooms back there had the quality at the long end.

This one I had to work on lots to get accepted, so nothing automatic.

Image © Robert Jordan
PhotoID: 571765
Photograph © Robert Jordan

Bob
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 09:34 PM   #41
J-M Frybourg

Quote:
... I define the "Best" as to what makes the pic the "Best" and that is NOT always the quality of the pic but rather the story, memory or historical significance. So I am thankful for those lesser quality pics that did get accepted here on RP, without them I wouldn't know as much about the the "Milwaukee Road, Nickel Plate, SOO, N&W, Southern, Chesapeake Western, Denver Rio Grande just to name a few 'Murica trains........
OK, granted.

But then why not do the same for non-US audience?

Nowadays, the site has a huge number of international visitors - and contributors. The first contributor in terms of number of pictures is Swiss, not US.
Then the same rule, i.e. defining the Best as "NOT always the quality of the pic but rather the story, memory or historical significance" should apply as well to non-US pictures. This is not the case today.
Old 03-31-2020, 09:48 PM   #42
bigbassloyd

To be completely honest "The best railroad photos on the net" tag has not been germane in some time simply due to the number of upper end talent that no longer posts here. Some of the best railroad photos on one easy to search website perhaps.

While I don't intensely follow a lot of railroad photography, I can name several high end talents in the night field that aren't here today.

Loyd L.

Last edited by bigbassloyd; 03-31-2020 at 09:55 PM.
Old 03-31-2020, 09:51 PM   #43
J-M Frybourg

Quote:

Are the stories under my pictures not enough? Take the example of the "Farewell to Patrick" Tour. (see here https://www.railpictures.net/photo/725326/). Or take the Georg Trüb pictures, etc. Even my oldies come with a story - https://www.railpictures.net/photo/730570/- and in good English at that (not my native language).

No, it is not so much a matter of educating and providing a story.
Old 03-31-2020, 09:59 PM   #44
J-M Frybourg

Quote:
To be completely honest "The best railroad photos on the net" tag has not been germane in some time simply due to the number of upper end talent that no longer posts here. Some of the best railroad photos on one easy to search website perhaps.

Loyd L.
Yes, I agree.
Unfortunately, that is a failure for Railpictures.net.
RPN did not succeed in making the site attractive enough to the truly best, has disapointed some excellent contributors over time, who chose to post elsewhere. I am a big fan of RPN since I joined in 2003. In the early years, I thought that it had the potential to become the one meeting point for the truly best RR pictrures. Unfortunately, they are now scattered all over the net. The Germans have their own site. There is little excellent Japanese contents on RPN while they have excellent RR photographers. Etc. Now the window of opportunity to become a focal point for the truly best is probably behind.
Old 04-01-2020, 12:24 AM   #45
John Russell - NZ

Quote:
Yes, I agree.
Unfortunately, that is a failure for Railpictures.net.
RPN did not succeed in making the site attractive enough to the truly best, has disapointed some excellent contributors over time, who chose to post elsewhere. I am a big fan of RPN since I joined in 2003. In the early years, I thought that it had the potential to become the one meeting point for the truly best RR pictrures. Unfortunately, they are now scattered all over the net. The Germans have their own site. There is little excellent Japanese contents on RPN while they have excellent RR photographers. Etc. Now the window of opportunity to become a focal point for the truly best is probably behind.
I have to agree with J-M on this point. I may now be the last local uploader of NZ train photos and perhaps one of very few viewers here. It wasn't like this before. Most quit uploading due to picky or "biased" photo screening - at least those I know or asked said so along with comments that I won't repeat here. An example of a photographer we are missing contributions from: https://www.railpictures.net/photo/415486/

Sometimes it almost seems too much effort posting photos for a few hundred views when there are other platforms with an audience that's often more appreciative. I do because RP is the best and has a great community. Obviously standards are part of what RP says it is. But it is losing precious content and audience potential. As Kevin said once about "interestingness", nostalgia can carry a shot through in spite of imperfections. I wonder what we are not seeing on RP rather the odd shot that's debated here. With a lot of repeat content, some of the rejected shots might be more interesting.

Last edited by John Russell - NZ; 04-01-2020 at 12:36 AM. Reason: addition
John Russell - NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 03:00 PM   #46
Grewup on the CW

Quote:
Are the stories under my pictures not enough? Take the example of the "Farewell to Patrick" Tour. (see here https://www.railpictures.net/photo/725326/). Or take the Georg Trüb pictures, etc. Even my oldies come with a story - https://www.railpictures.net/photo/730570/- and in good English at that (not my native language).

I did like your Patrick series and enjoyed reading your descriptions, without the descriptions it would just been "another foreign train". I am on this to learn about photography, collect historical information and enjoy photos of trains past and present. My peeve is when I find something interesting, there is no description to tell me anything about the picture and location. Some of the pictures I favorite, I do so I can hopefully one day visit that location and or learn more about it. So yeah another peeve is no pin drop. I love it when I find an interesting picture say about a depot and the story/description is there that tells me it has been abandoned, tracks torn up made into something useful etc. I love it even more when there is a pin drop and I can go to Google earth and visit the location in somewhat real time and compare the picture to what it looks like today, or the time stamp when Google updated the location. So just to upload a pic with none of the things I mentioned is not helpful to people like me. I've heard that people dont like sharing all that info because they are afraid of someone finding their honey hole and stealing their glory. I could care less, I'm not in it for views and yeah it nice to have a pic get a lot of views, that tells me I put something on here interesting and I always try to put informative info about my pic or a story with it, for nothing more than to share my little part of this world with you.

I appreciate the fact that you take the time to post info in English after all its an English speaking website (not intended to be arrogant). I would do the same in return if I was to post something to a foreign site. There is enough translators on the web to get us both somewhat close to helping the other understand what we are trying to communicate.

So just a humble view point from an "ole country boy" that a UK friend on mine calls me. I have flaws as well and I have room for growth, that's why I'm on these forums, to learn and grow.
Old 04-01-2020, 10:05 PM   #47
J-M Frybourg

Another historic shot that can only get access to RPN because it is American: https://www.railpictures.net/photo/730795/
According to RPN standards that RPN team has put in writing in this forum, this picture has way too many defects for being accepted:
- High sun
- Front and back coupled
- Poor esthetic quality

Still it has historical value and this is probably the main reason why it is in the database.
If I submit a picture of similar historic value of a French train but with only one fourth of these defects, it is rejected: a clear disincentive to contribute, and a way for RPN to shoot themselves in the foot...
Old 04-01-2020, 11:12 PM   #48
John Russell - NZ

Quote:
Another historic shot that can only get access to RPN because it is American: https://www.railpictures.net/photo/730795/
According to RPN standards that RPN team has put in writing in this forum, this picture has way too many defects for being accepted:
- High sun
- Front and back coupled
- Poor esthetic quality

Still it has historical value and this is probably the main reason why it is in the database.
If I submit a picture of similar historic value of a French train but with only one fourth of these defects, it is rejected: a clear disincentive to contribute, and a way for RPN to shoot themselves in the foot...
It's eye candy and has more favorable response than anything I've posted. For what it is - a historic photo that was probably unrepeatable for the photographer - the quality considering the subject and lighting is very good so I think acceptance was right and proved so. To me the question is whether the same photo taken with better light would have made much difference to the interest and response. J-M you are undoubtedly correct with the general argument though about acceptance of overseas train photos. Also, so called defects here are often nothing but a preference of the screener or site editor that may or may not be reflected in community response. Compared with the sites I have visited or joined, RPN perhaps has more international content and larger audience. An important reason I post photos online is for archival purposes and this is where RP really shines with an easy to search database.
John Russell - NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 01:33 AM   #49
TedG

Quote:

Your captions are more than adequate, Jean-Marc. And your English is far better than that of some contributors whose first language (ostensibly) is English.
/Ted
TedG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 05:07 AM   #50
miningcamper1

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Russell - NZ View Post
...An important reason I post photos online is for archival purposes and this is where RP really shines with an easy to search database.
Easy??? Not always. Try to find photos of the EMD FT for example. The search box seems to ignore any appropriate keyword. I had to find a photo of an FT (not very easy), and then click "more" in the description field.

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote