Old 10-17-2006, 02:33 AM   #1
fullreversal

Send a message via AIM to fullreversal Send a message via Yahoo to fullreversal
Question Headlight Glare? What's happening here?

I purchased a D70s back in October, after shooting with a Nikon FG film camera. I've never had this problem before. The headlight pattern inverts itself and offsets onto another part of the image. I have the 18-70mm lens that came with it, and use a UV filter.

http://www.auburn.edu/~kruegdr/ns_919.jpg

What causes this? How can I fix it? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
fullreversal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 02:57 AM   #2
SamD

That there is lens flare. It's most common when shooting with a filter, but can happen with out one (though usually to a far less server extent). It's caused by light boucing of the lens, hitting the filter, and then getting picked up by the camera sensor (or at least this is my understanding of the technical details of the problem).

When lens flare shows up, you're only chances are to A) use image software with clone or healing tool to remove the flare, or B) crop the image in such away that the effected area is discared.

In this case, you might have a chance at cloning out the flare nearest the cab, and croping out the further out one. Hope this helps.
SamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 03:35 AM   #3
Ween

I haven't heard too much positive about digital and filters. If you're worried about scratching the lens, use the lens hood and keep the filters in your bag...
Old 10-17-2006, 04:17 AM   #4
SP3197

I had the same problem with my D70 when I first got it over 2 years ago. Took my UV Haze filter off and no more problems. I have been told that if you buy a high quality filter that it is less likely to occur. I have just done without. Try taking your filter off and see what happens.

http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=35
SP3197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 05:50 AM   #5
Pat Lorenz

its not a problem with digital i belive, i have had some come out like that in film, it has to do with filter reflection. So during sunset to night shots take your filter off, simple fix, but you have to remember to do it, its very easy to forget.
Pat Lorenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 01:44 PM   #6
jfusaro

if you use any type of filter on a digital slr (uv/haze, sky, polarizer, etc.) you need to make sure that you buy a "multi-coated" filter. as the name suggests, they have multiple layers of glare/reflection reducing coatings applied to the glass surface. they are quite a bit more expensive (about 2X the cost of a non multi-coated filter), but they are designed to eliminate the reflections/flares that you are seeing.

the cost of the filter may seem high, but the cost of repairing or replacing your 18-70 nikon lense will be higher.

jeffrey fusaro
jfusaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 01:05 AM   #7
Joe the Photog

I used to use a filter religously. Not sure I got very many reflections like this one, but shooting digital, most filter effects can be accomplished in post processing. I can't remember the last time I used one. And the above poster was right about the lens hood as well as the lens cap. Think about this. You're going to pay several hundred dollars for a lens, but then spend 30 bucks on something that is supposed to "protect" the lens. First, most lens are actually pretty durable if you're not throwing them around the bag or something. Second, is it possible that screwing on a piece of glass on top of that few hundred dollars is actually doing more damage than just popping a cap on when needed?

Joe
Old 10-18-2006, 12:18 PM   #8
busyEMT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog
Second, is it possible that screwing on a piece of glass on top of that few hundred dollars is actually doing more damage than just popping a cap on when needed?
Joe
When one drops the lens and bends the aluminum ring forcing the owner to delicately use a hacksaw to cut said filter ring and pry it off the threads of the lens body. Luckily there was no residual damage to lens or body.

Since I have used a hood, lens cap, and utmost caution.

Don't do anything you wouldn't want to explain to the paramedics!
busyEMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 02:34 PM   #9
jfusaro

i agree that the lens cap is the best protection, when the camera is not being used. and, the lens hood also offers a fair amount of protection.

i have always been in the habit of using, at least, a uv/haze or sky filter as protection, when the camera is being used.

my thinking is that, if something hits the front of the lens, i'd rather have the filter take the first blow, than the lens. even if it is just dust.

i've been caught without my lens cleaning kit, and had something smudge the lens - like a fingerprint. my only way of cleaning the smudge was the clean tail of my tee-shirt. i know this isn't the best way to clean a lens, since i could have scratched it. but, at least if i did scratch something, it was the filter and not the lens glass.

when i went digital, i almost choked when i started looking at the cost of the multi-coated filters that were recommended. my frugal side started to show, and i was looking for some justification NOT to buy the basic filters.

i was discussing this with the (ahem) "pro" behind the counter at my local camera shop one day... his comment went something like, "ahh... don't worry about the filter. you don't need it. a few scratches on the face of the lens won't hurt it. after a while, it will start to function like a soft focus filter."

i walked out and mail ordered the filter that afternoon.

i've also invested in a multi-coated circluar polarizer.

i love this filter.

it cuts glare, and reflections and deepens blue skies. and, it's one effect that can't be mimmicked in photoshop.

jeffrey fusaro

Last edited by jfusaro; 10-18-2006 at 07:14 PM.
jfusaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 01:01 PM   #10
ottergoose
American Gunzel

Send a message via AIM to ottergoose Send a message via Yahoo to ottergoose

I believe I read somewhere that glare is worse with digital because a CCD reflects more light than film does. That's why there are "digital" lenses, they have better anti-glare coatings inside the lens to prevent the light from bouncing around too much. I would guess that the same logic causes more glare with filters and digital.