Old 08-23-2009, 05:25 PM   #1
Homero Jimeniz

Default Uh... really?

Ok, so I've been trying to get shots on here for awhile... I've taken some decent shots, haven't got any accepted. But no big deal.

What I want to know, is why this shot gets on?

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphot...=294594&nseq=8

It's definatley not level, it has some rather distracting shadows, the power is common, and the angle is nothing spectacular. The overall image quality isn't great either.

I can understand the screeners missing one every now and then, but I just don't see how this shot got on. The first thing I noticed was how unlevel it is.
Homero Jimeniz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 05:29 PM   #2
khalucha

Post a link to your shot that did not get on and you will be told on how to correct it.

Webshot Photos

flickr stuff
khalucha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 05:47 PM   #3
Freericks
Met Fan

Best way to introduce yourself to the forums would be as Kevin says, post a shot that you're working on getting into the database. You can even edit your post above to do so.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 05:54 PM   #4
JRMDC

Lots of things to go over, Homero

level: the shot is level, actually. The best thing to look at is a vertical line at the center of a shot, and the vertical lines on the cab of the UP are vertical. Horizontal lines (such as the signal bridge) can be unlevel if one views them at an angle and from below. The pole on the right is also vertical (but poles in general make bad measures because they are so often tilted or warped). The building corner at the extreme left is a bit off but in a wide angle shot like this the sides often have some perspective distortion. Get the center right!

Common power: RP does not reject common power. It rejects common power shots when they have bad light, but when the light is good all and any power is more than welcome. Plenty of sun here.

Distracting shadows: they become a problem when they fall on the train, but need not when they fall on the ground. The pole shadow in the middle is a wee bit distracting but not at all excessive.

Image quality: I don't see your complaint, looks sharp to me, ballast looks good. Not the best image quality I have seen but hardly an outlier, at least to my eye.

Angle: not every shot on RP is a gem of photography - there are countless "wedgies" here. Not everyone who comes to RP is looking for artistic splendor, some just want to see a well lit, sharp image of a train. The angle you see here is common, a "wedgie," and there are thousands of such shots on RP. Perhaps you should spend more time browsing RP images and get a better sense of the site?

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 11:49 PM   #5
bigbassloyd

Shot looks technically ok to me as well. If your shots are better, let's see them so we can help you get them accepted.

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 12:00 AM   #6
jnohallman

Let's not forget the added interest of the trio of UP units in Ohio, as well as the GP30 slug in the pic. The only potential issue I see in the photo is a violation of the precious "rule of thirds" (which I think is made to be broken anyway!).

Jon

Click here to see my photos on RP.net!

Do not, under any circumstances whatsoever, click here. Don't even think about it. I'm warning you!
jnohallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 12:28 AM   #7
Homero Jimeniz

Ok, thanks guys! I'm not out here to cut anybody down.. the shot just concerned me a little bit. I have been a browser on here for quite some time, and I know not every shot is spectacular. The shot just didn't seem too level to me.

I will post a couple of my shots when I get home... I'm away from my home computer for around the next week or so.

-HJ
Old 08-24-2009, 12:29 AM   #8
UCRP93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homero Jimeniz View Post
Ok, so I've been trying to get shots on here for awhile... I've taken some decent shots, haven't got any accepted. But no big deal.

What I want to know, is why this shot gets on?

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphot...=294594&nseq=8

It's definatley not level, it has some rather distracting shadows, the power is common, and the angle is nothing spectacular. The overall image quality isn't great either.

I can understand the screeners missing one every now and then, but I just don't see how this shot got on. The first thing I noticed was how unlevel it is.
Thank you for calling out my shot there, buddy!! It's not unlevel, it's called a "wide angle." Think before doing something like this.....You're new to the site......

(Edit) - I also don't mean to yell, but I take some offense to this. If you're new to photography, don't call out a "wide angle" shot. Let's see some of your "perfect" photographs.......And also, check out my other shots - this is nowhere close to being my best.....

Click here to see my photos on RailPictures.net
Click here to see my videos on YouTube

One of very few people that like CSX and GE both!!

Last edited by UCRP93; 08-24-2009 at 01:15 AM.
UCRP93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 01:47 PM   #9
Homero Jimeniz

I never said any of my pictures were perfect... they are far from it! I don't have any rich equipment to speak of... just a simple Nikon and a couple of zoom lenses.
Old 08-24-2009, 04:49 PM   #10
UCRP93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homero Jimeniz View Post
I never said any of my pictures were perfect... they are far from it! I don't have any rich equipment to speak of... just a simple Nikon and a couple of zoom lenses.
It's fine, I understand. I just thought it was offensive and all, by taking my photo, posting it here, bringing it down, with the title "Uh.....really?" A wide angle shot gives some "fish eye" distortion to the image. This was shot at 18mm. That is getting pretty darn wide angle! Fish Eye distortion causes the sides of the photos to be "curved", or even leaning inward. It's not a matter of the photo being unlevel, it's just the effect of the focal length.

And believe me, I know very well that this is a wedge shot. I have taken plenty of those, but I also have a lot of nice shots in my collection too. Check them out if you want! The main goal of the "called out" shot, was just to get the UP's side-by-side with the CSX local. They rejected my telephoto shot of the same train at the same location. I was somewhat surprised to see the shot get accepted myself, but I still don't like having it picked apart.

Old 08-24-2009, 05:12 PM   #11
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Send a message via AIM to Chase55671 Send a message via MSN to Chase55671

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCRP93 View Post
Thank you for calling out my shot there, buddy!! It's not unlevel, it's called a "wide angle." Think before doing something like this.....You're new to the site......

(Edit) - I also don't mean to yell, but I take some offense to this. If you're new to photography, don't call out a "wide angle" shot. Let's see some of your "perfect" photographs.......And also, check out my other shots - this is nowhere close to being my best.....
Homero shouldn't of started out at the forums by calling out your photo, but on the flip side, your shot is unlevel. The signal bridge is leaning in the background. Wide angle? How about you take the extra couple minutes to put it through distortion correction? There is a solution for everything.

You should think before saying something like this.

Chase
Click here to view my photos at Railpictures.Net
SLR Night Photography Tutorial | Railpictures.Net Beginners Guide
Chase55671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 05:17 PM   #12
UCRP93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase55671 View Post
Homero shouldn't of started out at the forums by calling out your photo, but on the flip side, your shot is unlevel. The signal bridge is leaning in the background. Wide angle? How about you take the extra couple minutes to put it through distortion correction? There is a solution for everything.

You should think before saying something like this.

Chase
I personally like the wide angle distortion!! It's an effect that I like. As for the leaning signal bridge - well, I think the entire city of Fostoria is crooked sometimes.

EDIT - I also just checked the leveling of the signal bridge, with the grid on Photoshop, and it appears to be quite level. You sure the wire isn't throwing you off?

Last edited by UCRP93; 08-24-2009 at 05:20 PM.
Old 08-24-2009, 05:27 PM   #13
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Send a message via AIM to Chase55671 Send a message via MSN to Chase55671

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCRP93 View Post
I personally like the wide angle distortion!! It's an effect that I like. As for the leaning signal bridge - well, I think the entire city of Fostoria is crooked sometimes.

EDIT - I also just checked the leveling of the signal bridge, with the grid on Photoshop, and it appears to be quite level. You sure the wire isn't throwing you off?
I won't argue with the statement of Fostoria being crooked.

As for it being level, it definitely appears unlevel from just glancing at it, although perhaps something is throwing it off. I suppose the wire could be doing this.

Perhaps Thias can settle this?

Chase
Click here to view my photos at Railpictures.Net
SLR Night Photography Tutorial | Railpictures.Net Beginners Guide
Chase55671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 06:12 PM   #14
UCRP93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase55671 View Post
I won't argue with the statement of Fostoria being crooked.

As for it being level, it definitely appears unlevel from just glancing at it, although perhaps something is throwing it off. I suppose the wire could be doing this.

Perhaps Thias can settle this?

Chase
This is sure to get interesting!

Old 08-24-2009, 08:01 PM   #15
bigbassloyd

Thias doesn't waste time on such petty requests..

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 04:22 PM   #16
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
Thias doesn't waste time on such petty requests..

Loyd L.

Most of the image looks level to me, except the tracks on the right. I probably would have grabbed the bottom right corner of the image and dragged it down in distortion control option in PS to correct that. However, I agree with RWT, I think the signal bridge is probably slightly unlevel. The nose of the loco looks good to me.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote