Old 08-04-2008, 05:15 PM   #1
bigbassloyd

Default Has this ever happened to you?

I uploaded a shot I took this morning, and it was accepted. After looking at the shot on the site, it wasn't nearly as sharp as it looked in my editor. Is this a typical occurance for other members, or am missing something? I did some more work on the shot, and reuploaded it for approval, trying to get it as sharp as I see it in my editor.

Thanks!

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 05:53 PM   #2
ottergoose
American Gunzel

Send a message via AIM to ottergoose Send a message via Yahoo to ottergoose

The only thing that comes to mind is making sure your quality settings for saving as a JPEG are high enough.
Old 08-04-2008, 07:15 PM   #3
River Rails Photography
Banned

Send a message via AIM to River Rails Photography

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd
I uploaded a shot I took this morning, and it was accepted. After looking at the shot on the site, it wasn't nearly as sharp as it looked in my editor. Is this a typical occurance for other members, or am missing something? I did some more work on the shot, and reuploaded it for approval, trying to get it as sharp as I see it in my editor.

Thanks!

Loyd L.

Happened MANY times, more often than not, the thumbnail looks like crap, but the image doesn't.
River Rails Photography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 07:38 PM   #4
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottergoose
The only thing that comes to mind is making sure your quality settings for saving as a JPEG are high enough.
I always save at 100% when I'm finished with the TIFF file.

I also had to do a bit of color enhancement too, as the shot looked a bit flat as well.

I think my computer is playing games with me!

Loyd L.

Old 08-04-2008, 08:32 PM   #5
KevinM

The answer is YES, but it was basically my fault. As I mentioned in another thread, I recently uploaded a shot that was plenty sharp in PSE 6, but the downsized version didn't look so hot. It must have been alright though, because the Screeners OK'd it. Heck, I have over 100 shots on RP, so the results must have been at least passable.

Anyway, it reminded me of a thread on sharpening that I read a while back...so I reread all of the posts and discovered the problem. When I resized for RP, I wasn't doing another sharpening pass like most others here. A quick USM 50/.5/0 on that resized JPEG made a noticeable difference, so I went to the Re-Submit page and fired off the new version. It was accepted, and I liked the resharpened version much better.

Now, I'm reviewing my shots and resubmitting resharpened versions slowly over time.

Lloyd, I don't think this is what's causing your situation, but it was definitely an issue for me. My workflow checklist now includes that second sharpening pass on all new RP submits.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 08:36 PM   #6
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM
The answer is YES, but it was basically my fault. As I mentioned in another thread, I recently uploaded a shot that was plenty sharp in PSE 6, but the downsized version didn't look so hot. It must have been alright though, because the Screeners OK'd it. Heck, I have over 100 shots on RP, so the results must have been at least passable.

Anyway, it reminded me of a thread on sharpening that I read a while back...so I reread all of the posts and discovered the problem. When I resized for RP, I wasn't doing another sharpening pass like most others here. A quick USM 50/.5/0 on that resized JPEG made a noticeable difference, so I went to the Re-Submit page and fired off the new version. It was accepted, and I liked the resharpened version much better.

Now, I'm reviewing my shots and resubmitting resharpened versions slowly over time.

Lloyd, I don't think this is what's causing your situation, but it was definitely an issue for me. My workflow checklist now includes that second sharpening pass on all new RP submits.
I've never did anything besides a single sharpening, or an USM at the end of processing. I've noticed that going back, several of my shots have been a bit dull. what type of sharpening do you do before you resize? I think that may help me.

Loyd L.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:42 PM   #7
KevinM

Hi Lloyd,

I have PSE 6, but am a relatively new user, so take my advice with extreme caution. Fortunately, I'm pretty much following the lead of several other, more experienced folks, so I shouldn't be straying too far.

To preface this, I'm working only with JPEG files...

In PSE 6, there are several sharpening tools. I use UnSharp Mask (USM), which is probably the oldest tool, but the one people know best. When I'm finished with my photo edits (leveling, cropping, dust removal, exposure tweaks etc), I typically run USM 100/.7/0, or something close. The tool lets you preview the look of the shot with the proposed parameters. On a steam engine, I usually look at the medallion (number plate) on the nose of the smoke box and use whatever parameters looks best, but 100/.7/0 usually work for me. Once done, I save the file.

After saving, I resize the file to RP parameters. Once resized, I open the smaller, RP-size JPEG with the PSE Editor and run USM again. This time, I use 50/.5/0. Other folks recommended I start there and I've found that ends up looking decent. THEN AND ONLY THEN, I upload to RP.

Try reading through this thread and see if it helps:

http://forums.railpictures.net/showt...hlight=Sharpen

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 02:43 AM   #8
bigbassloyd

Kevin,

The two pass usm method appears to do a much better job than the route I was taking. Thanks a bunch for the information!

Loyd L.

Old 08-06-2008, 02:42 AM   #9
Santa Fe buff-ATSF-BNSF

Unhappy Has it ever!

It happened when I was trying to upload my first picture here ever. It looked sharp enough on my Lexmark Photo Editor, and when I uploaded it, it was rejected for being in poor quality.A.K.A, being blurry.
The Rails are silent... The air is crisp. The sun is beyond the mountains, yet giving it's glow into the midnight blue sky. Deer scamper in the brush, the rails are two sets, both surrounded by green, with mountains as a border. A light glows the rails...

CLICK!

It's captured forever. And is here, for all to enjoy, the convoy of moments, that rails meet nature- RailPictures.net.
Santa Fe buff-ATSF-BNSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 01:30 PM   #10
River Rails Photography
Banned

Send a message via AIM to River Rails Photography

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santa Fe buff-ATSF-BNSF
It happened when I was trying to upload my first picture here ever. It looked sharp enough on my Lexmark Photo Editor, and when I uploaded it, it was rejected for being in poor quality.A.K.A, being blurry.

Lexmark? Psh.... may I recommend irfanview?
River Rails Photography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 02:20 AM   #11
Freericks
Met Fan

I have no idea why, but it seems that sometimes when I make the tiff to jpeg version, if I then continue to make edits to the smaller jpeg, somewhere along the line the quality drops.

Maybe the RAM is remembering too many versions? This has nothing to do with JPEG lossy, as I'm not saving at this point (well, once as a JPEG).

I have to close the program and re-open it. Then, it maintains the quality through the additional edits.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote