Old 01-29-2008, 03:10 AM   #1
trainboysd40

Send a message via MSN to trainboysd40
Default Well, that's it.

I'm done with photography.
2 rejects today, with perfect light and no way to improve the quality.
What's the point of trying if it's not even possible to take a good picture?
Obligatory link to shots on RP, HERE
trainboysd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 03:14 AM   #2
Walter S

Send a message via AIM to Walter S

Look's like it is time for you to start posting on a I hate Railpictures group lol.
Walter S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 03:20 AM   #3
Freericks
Met Fan

Are you going to show them to us?
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 03:45 AM   #4
trainboysd40

Might as well show them.
I'm not going to join a railpictures bashing group because the screeners are absolutely right to reject my photos.
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=418589073
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=475912&key=0
In case you were about to say, I know the reasons given aren't bad image quality or the like, but it was mentioned in admin comments that that was the main reason for them being rejected.
Anyone want to lend me $1700 for a 40D?
Old 01-29-2008, 03:56 AM   #5
Freericks
Met Fan

What kind of camera are you using?

Honestly, I think both pics are good, but you were just a little too close to the subjects.

You're great with understanding the lighting... I'd just say take a couple steps back to let us know where we are in the world, so we are not overwhelmed by the engines.
Old 01-29-2008, 04:12 AM   #6
Northern Limits

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainboysd40
Suck it up princess!
I've seen too many good pictures here with your name on them for you to give up. BTW one of them is in my profile tagged as a favourite.
Keep on persevering Matthew.
Enough said by me.

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!

Last edited by Northern Limits; 01-29-2008 at 04:17 AM.
Northern Limits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 04:40 AM   #7
trainboysd40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freericks
What kind of camera are you using?

Honestly, I think both pics are good, but you were just a little too close to the subjects.

You're great with understanding the lighting... I'd just say take a couple steps back to let us know where we are in the world, so we are not overwhelmed by the engines.
I supposed next time I'll try not to fill the frame quite so thoroughly (Next time being a long time away, mind you!) The first shot I can't really do that on, since it would require being able to take photos through the long hood of an SD40-2!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Limits
Suck it up princess!
I've seen too many good pictures here with your name on them for you to give up. BTW one of them is in my profile tagged as a favourite.
Keep on persevering Matthew.
Enough said by me.
that was with my old camera, may it rest in one piece...
I've managed to get a few on since August, when it lost the ability to focus, but I haven't been satisfied with any of them.
Well, you can't have everything, can you?
Old 01-29-2008, 04:54 AM   #8
Freericks
Met Fan

Yeah, I thought that might be true on the first shot. To be honest, the only way to do that is with a wider angle lens.
Old 01-29-2008, 05:25 AM   #9
ottergoose
American Gunzel

Send a message via AIM to ottergoose Send a message via Yahoo to ottergoose

I don't think either of those shots would have been accepted regardless of what camera you were using, however, if you're camera can't focus any more, that's a pretty serious problem for when/if you decide to submit pictures again
Old 01-29-2008, 06:43 AM   #10
NSFan14

Matthew,

No need to have a fit and say "I quit". Keep trying. No offense to RP.Net but dont take photos for RP.Net. Take them for yourself,Future grandkids...ECT. Have fun! Dont get mad cause RP wont accept them!
Old 01-29-2008, 08:16 AM   #11
willig

Don't worry about the rejection. The photos may not be masterpieces, but they are interesting in their own right. If I had taken them, I would be pleased with them, whilst recognizing that they may not set the world on fire.

I've had lots of rejections for bad angle. I have appealed some and some have been accepted. I think its a little of the screener's taste, as is so often the case.
I had this one rejected, for bad angle, yet it captured exactly what I wanted. http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=474955&key=0

However, submitting it to RP.net was only a minor reason for taking it. I just enjoy looking at it. So my advice is, enjoy your own shots. After all, you took them for your own sake.
willig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 12:13 PM   #12
Joe the Photog

I was just thinking of some of the cameras I have used. I borrowed an old 110 film camera from a friend and took railroad pictures. When that one died on me, I was using disposable cameras. I could only shoot trains that were not moving. Then, my sisters pitched in and bought me a cheap Wal Mart 35 mm film camera. The paralax error (spelling?) was somethng I never got used to.

But I still took pictures, still practiced, still learned what the camera(s) would and would not do.

Later, I was finally able to buy my first Canon Rebel film camera and two good lens and haven't looked back since.

And, Matthew, why do you need 1700 for a 40D? Since money seems an issue, get a Rebel XTi or even a good P&S. Heck, for that matter, get a good used film SLR.

Joe
Old 01-29-2008, 04:42 PM   #13
trainboysd40

Joe, technically I don't need a 40D, but I'd really like one For the moment, I'm going to try to find an XT within my limited price range..or maybe even just get a compact. Anything's better than what I've got.
Old 01-29-2008, 05:42 PM   #14
JRMDC

Quote:
Joe, technically I don't need a 40D, but I'd really like one For the moment, I'm going to try to find an XT within my limited price range..or maybe even just get a compact. Anything's better than what I've got.
Just checked, out of curiosity, KEH (keh.com) has two XT bodies in LN- (like new, minus) condition for $364. An EX+ for $349, a new one for $399. Find an 18-55 kit lens for $70 somewhere (craigslist) and you are good to go.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 06:17 PM   #15
Northern Limits

Matthew, If my memory serves me correctly (scary prospect), you are still a student and therefore have a really limited budget.
If RP is a priority then look for a good P&S. I know that will make a lot of forum readers cringe, but you don't need to spend the extra on a lenses.
From personal experience, on my limited budget I bought a Canon film SLR of ebay, and at times used my wife's 5mp and then 7mp Sony($250).
Because of the $CDN parody Canon has lowered their prices. An S5 will give you as good a picture as a G-9 at a lot less. You just don't get RAW.
Hope you find something soon.

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!
Northern Limits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 06:40 PM   #16
ken45
LA&SL Fanatic

Northern Limits gives good advice. I don't understand the SLR or bust line of thought amongst so many photographers and even these forums. Yes, DSLRs take better pictures thanks to larger sensors and better optics. But that doesn't mean that a P&S automatically sucks. Many of them take plenty good photos. DSLRs aren't the end all of railroad photography.

I thought long and hard before I upgraded to a DSLR, and I waited till after college when it made better sense financially. In terms of budget, I paid about 1000 for my 30D. I expect it to last me at least 5 years. That means I'm willing to pay about $200 per year for a camera body. You can get some nice P&S cameras for less than that. Just look at it as a 2 year (or whatever) investment and save for the DSLR during that period. When you have the money, buy the camera you want.

In my opinion, equipment is slightly overrated with many people. Sure, an L lens allows better looking shots than normal Canon lenses. But that doesn't mean that photos taken with non-L glass are BAD per se. Many of them are quite good quality. Same thing with cameras. Get yourself a decent P&S that works for you. And they aren't too bad to hang onto. I still use mine quite a bit. Heck, I shot a roll of slide film the other day for the fun of it. But don't quit!
Old 01-29-2008, 06:46 PM   #17
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Limits
If RP is a priority then look for a good P&S. I know that will make a lot of forum readers cringe, but you don't need to spend the extra on a lenses.
I agree! (Not contradicting my previous info on XT prices, BTW, that was as info and not saying you should get a DSLR.)

But try to find something that has good glass on it, maybe look thoroughly at dpreview.com reviews and so forth.

Speculating , I would guess that is is more important to find a camera that gives sharp images than one that gives the most accurate color. The latter can be adjusted in software, the former cannot. And I don't think most cameras have problems with white balance outdoors.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 01-29-2008, 06:57 PM   #18
hoydie17
We Own The Night...

Send a message via AIM to hoydie17 Send a message via Yahoo to hoydie17

Quote:
Obviously you've gotten over your frustration, but I just have say, a rejection from RP.net should NEVER, EVER, EVER be a reason to just pack up and quit on this hobby. Only quit because you feel the overwhelming need to do so from boredom, finances, or time, not because you don't pass muster on some website.

There are still people out there that'll enjoy your photos whether they are hosted on RP.net, RRPA.net, TO or any one of dozens of mainstream railfan sites. And that doesn't even touch on the various railroad historical societies, local slideshows, and other local interest groups and gatherings you maybe able to partake in.

Or if you want to see my work here at RP.net? Click here.

"It's just a damn train son!"
hoydie17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 07:03 PM   #19
ottergoose
American Gunzel

Yeah, I'm learning the hard way that it costs a fair amount of money to get really sharp images with a DSLR... my old Sony F707 did a better job than my Rebel XT paired with the Canon 28-200... hopefully the L glass arriving tomorrow will change that.

Take a look at the Canon S3 IS - there's been some really good work produced with that camera.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:55 PM   #20
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottergoose
Yeah, I'm learning the hard way that it costs a fair amount of money to get really sharp images with a DSLR... my old Sony F707 did a better job than my Rebel XT paired with the Canon 28-200... hopefully the L glass arriving tomorrow will change that.
With all due respect, it should not take L glass to get really sharp images, although L glass will sometimes get you even sharper images. I was completely satisfied with the sharpness of my Sigma 17-70, for example.

Perhaps you had a bad 28-200, or perhaps the compromised in a 7x zoom on a DSLR are too much, I don't know why you had the problems you did. I think that, while moving one step beyond the kit lens is a noticeably improvement, one doesn't have to pile on the $$ either.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 01-29-2008, 08:16 PM   #21
Freericks
Met Fan

Quote:

Take a look at the Canon S3 IS - there's been some really good work produced with that camera.
Are you relying on AF? And are you relying on AF zoomed out?

Try prefocusing zoomed all the way in then zooming out, leaving the camera in manual focus.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:33 PM   #22
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freericks
Are you relying on AF? And are you relying on AF zoomed out?

Try prefocusing zoomed all the way in then zooming out, leaving the camera in manual focus.
Some zoom lenses, varifocal lenses, do not maintain focus when zoomed, in that zooming means having to refocus in order to get the same object at the same distance sharp. A parfocal zoom maintains proper focus.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varifocal_lens

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 01-29-2008, 09:19 PM   #23
ottergoose
American Gunzel

Perhaps I did get a bad version of the lens, however, my experience with it matched the other reviews I've read - it would probably be fine for a casual user, but, if you're taking your photos seriously, it's optically disappointing. I spend five days shooting with it - still subjects / moving subjects, auto focus / manual focus, sun / snow / clouds, tripod / handheld, manual / full auto ... didn't matter. In other words, I'm pretty sure it wasn't operator error.

The images with the 28-200 were not noticeably better than what I could get my old Sony to do. If there's not a noticeable appreciation in image quality with $750 worth of camera compared to $200 worth of camera (which is what my old Sony sold for), there's a problem.

Yes, it doesn't take an L to get a sharp picture, but, even with cheaper glass, you'd still have to spend a good sized pile of money to get the versatility you'd have with a super zoom point and shoot. If you're used to having a 5x or higher zoom on your point and shoot, moving to a 20-55mm DSLR is going to be pretty disappointing.

Even if buying used equipment, to get suitable lenses to cover 20ish to 200ish mm, you'd still have to shell out six or seven hundred bucks, would you not? Then you still need memory cards and a case...

It's a serious investment to go to DSLR. If budgetary constraints are a serious issue, it doesn't make sense to the DSLR route... it ends up being more expensive than most people expect.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:57 PM   #24
bigbassloyd

Quote:
which is why I haven't made the next step towards a dslr. I know my camera can take good shots, when I can make mine take good shots then I'll know I'm ready to move up!

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 10:21 PM   #25
alstom
Banned

ME WANT LOCOMOTIVE ONLY, NO SCENERY!!

Sorry, had to do that, couldn't pass it up.
alstom is offline   Reply With Quote