Old 10-23-2014, 08:15 PM   #51
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by miningcamper1 View Post
Ron's S-curve shot (which I like, BTW), "violates" a bunch of the rules (standards, preferences, whatever). It's a tad unlevel as well. Does that make it mediocre in any way? Can't I like BobE's shot as well?
Who said you couldn't like Bob's shot? Odd comment.

I presume that I am allowed to like it less than you do? I didn't question that until now, but if you think that the discussion here disallows you from liking the shot, well, I thought I would confirm my own situation.

It's a matter of world peace, after all.

(I did not see your snark before you revised your post.)

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 10:03 PM   #52
miningcamper1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
Who said you couldn't like Bob's shot? Odd comment.

I presume that I am allowed to like it less than you do? I didn't question that until now, but if you think that the discussion here disallows you from liking the shot, well, I thought I would confirm my own situation.

It's a matter of world peace, after all.

(I did not see your snark before you revised your post.)
The inference is that shots that meet the standards are worthy, and those that don't are unworthy. We get to see Ron's shot, but Bob's will disappear soon unless he posts it elsewhere.
That's why I proposed two sites- one for the purist minority, and one for those who like interesting, reasonably competent rail photos.

BTW, whatever became of that mystery sister site that CK teased us with some time ago? Still in the works?

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 11:41 PM   #53
JRMDC

Shots that meet the standards of RP are worthy of RP.

I think that most experienced photographers out there are all too painfully aware that RP is not the arbiter of worthiness. Those that don't, well, perhaps I am simply not so interested in their opinion.

Yup, Bob's will disappear. Not the first, not the last. Yes, RP is uniquely positioned to make shots "last" longer. After looking at thousands of shots over the years, here and elsewhere, I no longer get too worked up that any one shot doesn't get on despite being, by some definition, deserving.

Nor do I get worked up about those that get on, against my own preferences! Outrageous, what happens on RP!

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 10-24-2014, 01:53 AM   #54
BobE
Banned

miningcamper1, I just sent you a private message. Please take a look.
BobE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 05:39 AM   #55
miningcamper1

Quote:
Shots that meet the standards of RP are worthy of RP.

I think that most experienced photographers out there are all too painfully aware that RP is not the arbiter of worthiness.
You're saying that this site does not influence what fans shoot and how they shoot it? OK...if you say so.

Old 10-24-2014, 10:10 AM   #56
JimThias

Quote:
Ron's S-curve shot (which I like, BTW), "violates" a bunch of the rules (standards, preferences, whatever). It's a tad unlevel as well. Does that make it mediocre in any way? Can't I like BobE's shot as well?
That wasn't the point of my comment. You said some of us were overly fixated on the minute details, and that is what I responded to. I strive for excellence with every shot I take, but I almost always fail by my standards, and that pushes me to try harder the next time I try the shot (I've redone MANY). That doesn't mean I can't appreciate someone else's photo that I feel might have a few flaws (by my standards).

Quote:
You're saying that this site does not influence what fans shoot and how they shoot it? OK...if you say so.
Five years ago I may have agreed with that comment, but with the growing popularity of flickr and facebook for sharing photos, not so much any more.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias

Last edited by JimThias; 10-24-2014 at 10:12 AM.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 11:34 AM   #57
miningcamper1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
That wasn't the point of my comment. You said some of us were overly fixated on the minute details, and that is what I responded to. I strive for excellence with every shot I take, but I almost always fail by my standards, and that pushes me to try harder the next time I try the shot (I've redone MANY). That doesn't mean I can't appreciate someone else's photo that I feel might have a few flaws (by my standards).
Not disagreeing with your excellence comment at all. What I said in response was aimed at er...others. I too redo shots when warranted (that task increased greatly when I got a new monitor that revealed color casts that my laptop didn't). I wish I could redo my low light stuff with digital, but the subjects are gone forever. Ir's amazing how many internet photos are truly awful, yet fixable. I like to practice on them.

Old 10-24-2014, 02:18 PM   #58
JRMDC

Quote:
Not disagreeing with your excellence comment at all. What I said in response was aimed at er...others.
Mining, I think you have me all wrong. Don't really know what your beef is with me, asI didn't treat Bob or his shot harshly, nor did I treat it any more critically than Loyd did (I did go into more explanation, when prompted), nor do I think it is a bad shot, albeit not for RP given what I know of their tastes, and not for a website of mine, if I had one. It would make Bob's, and yours. I've got no problem with that. You seem to have a problem with my view.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 10-24-2014, 02:52 PM   #59
miningcamper1

Quote:
Mining, I think you have me all wrong. Don't really know what your beef is with me, asI didn't treat Bob or his shot harshly, nor did I treat it any more critically than Loyd did (I did go into more explanation, when prompted), nor do I think it is a bad shot, albeit not for RP given what I know of their tastes, and not for a website of mine, if I had one. It would make Bob's, and yours. I've got no problem with that. You seem to have a problem with my view.
I advocate consistency (as others do), less favoritism (as others do), and letting the viewers be the judge (as others do).
No personal beef with anyone, but obviously I think some of the standards are just minority opinions. If CK came on here more than once in a blue moon, I would argue the same points. I do agree with CK on the no-open-cab-door thing FWIW.

Old 10-24-2014, 03:14 PM   #60
JRMDC

So what is your beef with me? I support consistency (although I am willing to give RP a bit more slack than others, consistency the way some here seem to want it is impossible - I think they can do a good bit better, thought), I support no favoritism (but, from what we hear from some, even the so-called favorites have complaints; I recall reading here that one of the Dannemans is known to have frequently raged against RP on FB), and as for letting the viewers be the judge, that is a tough call, that to me means RRPA. Put differently, if you want to have a website that is selective, that cuts the bad stuff, well, you need to let it be selective.

[EDIT: see Mike Dannaman's correction below of my statement regarding him or his brother, and my response. It wasn't them!]

BTW, one of my personal peeves is RP's dislike of shadowed half-noses, as in Bob's shot. Silly to me, in most cases. Oh, and I don't care about open cab doors in most cases.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots

Last edited by JRMDC; 10-24-2014 at 06:50 PM.
Old 10-24-2014, 05:07 PM   #61
Moffat Road

Quote:
So what is your beef with me? I support consistency (although I am willing to give RP a bit more slack than others, consistency the way some here seem to want it is impossible - I think they can do a good bit better, thought), I support no favoritism (but, from what we hear from some, even the so-called favorites have complaints; I recall reading here that one of the Dannemans is known to have frequently raged against RP on FB)…
I’m not on Facebook, but if my brother Tom is talking about RP on Facebook, I hardly believe that it is in a “raging” manner.

Maybe I should join Facebook to take a look…

Mike Danneman

Last edited by Moffat Road; 10-24-2014 at 05:12 PM.
Moffat Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 05:14 PM   #62
dnsommer2013

Hi Mike, Dave the new guy here, and just want to chime in that you are one of my heroes! You took that awesome, half-submerged shot right?

Anyway thanks to everyone here for your input. You guys all have a lot of experience and it's cool that that you would take time to offer some guidance to me!

That being said, I am about to start a new thread about my latest rejection/learning experience. Hope you will check it out too!

David Sommer of Ithaca, New York

Last edited by dnsommer2013; 10-24-2014 at 06:09 PM.
dnsommer2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 06:41 PM   #63
Moffat Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnsommer2013 View Post
Hi Mike, Dave the new guy here, and just want to chime in that you are one of my heroes! You took that awesome, half-submerged shot right?

Anyway thanks to everyone here for your input. You guys all have a lot of experience and it's cool that that you would take time to offer some guidance to me!

That being said, I am about to start a new thread about my latest rejection/learning experience. Hope you will check it out too!

David Sommer of Ithaca, New York
Hello, Dave.

I’m happy if I can inspire occasionally with a photo or two, but wow, a hero?

That half-submerged photo is my brother Tom’s shot. I still don’t have the guts to put my 7D underwater, even if it is in a “camera condom” (as we call the waterproof case he uses) when doing those photos. So maybe Tom is your hero.

Thanks again, Dave!

Mike Danneman
Moffat Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 06:49 PM   #64
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moffat Road View Post
I’m not on Facebook, but if my brother Tom is talking about RP on Facebook, I hardly believe that it is in a “raging” manner.

Maybe I should join Facebook to take a look…

Mike Danneman
Mike, then I have it wrong, and withdraw the comment. I didn't see those statements myself, so it was hearsay. And "raging" was perhaps my exaggeration, although an at least "unhappy with venom" seemed to apply. But not you or Tom.

I will say that I have certainly myself seen "good" and perhaps "of some good repute" photographers express displeasure with screening at RP, including some with many, many accepted uploads. So I think there is a significant limit to the truth of the "favorites" argument that is heard from time to time. I myself can think of some questionable (in my view!) shots from big names that have gotten on here, but not enough to indicate systematic favoratism.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 10-24-2014, 10:59 PM   #65
miningcamper1

Quote:
So what is your beef with me? I support consistency (although I am willing to give RP a bit more slack than others, consistency the way some here seem to want it is impossible - I think they can do a good bit better, thought), I support no favoritism (but, from what we hear from some, even the so-called favorites have complaints; I recall reading here that one of the Dannemans is known to have frequently raged against RP on FB), and as for letting the viewers be the judge, that is a tough call, that to me means RRPA. Put differently, if you want to have a website that is selective, that cuts the bad stuff, well, you need to let it be selective.

BTW, one of my personal peeves is RP's dislike of shadowed half-noses, as in Bob's shot. Silly to me, in most cases. Oh, and I don't care about open cab doors in most cases.
What beef? So we disagree on cab doors. How is that personal? Hardly in the realm of those rude people who begin a reply with "Your an idiot!" and worse.

I do think (surprise!) that RP goes beyond cutting just the bad. My biggest complaints:
Free pass on grain for some vintage shooters, while uploads with grain not apparent w/o magnification get the axe.
The slippery "rule of thirds" rejections. More like the "whim of thirds".
"Front-coupled" rejections for switchers doing what switchers do- switching. Rejecting shots of trailing units, however, is reasonable.

Old 10-24-2014, 11:58 PM   #66
JRMDC

Maybe I misread your tone throughout the tread, mining. It happens, sorry.

Agree on grain and vintage, totally!

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 10-25-2014, 12:11 PM   #67
dnsommer2013

Ron I like your creative mountain railroading shot!
Old 10-25-2014, 12:12 PM   #68
dnsommer2013

I have been shooting 3:2 - should I shoot 4:3?
Old 10-25-2014, 10:04 PM   #69
JRMDC

RP accepts both 3:2 and 4:3, and 5:4 and anything in between, and sometimes even 5:3. Shoot what works for the scene, and don't forget that, regardless of how you shoot the scene, you can reformat it later (albeit only by cropping, not by adding!).

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots