Old 10-30-2010, 11:13 PM   #1
Dennis A. Livesey

Smile Fisheye future.

I have seen this lens, even had it on a camera in my hands for a few seconds.

I imagine the creative types here will have a ball.

Since I suspect the cost will be quite high I don't plan to buy one but rent it to try out.

I have several shots in mind with it, and I'm sure you will too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _MG_7588.jpg (337.7 KB, 189 views)
File Type: jpg _MG_7586.jpg (416.9 KB, 155 views)

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777

Last edited by Dennis A. Livesey; 11-03-2010 at 01:46 AM.
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 11:57 PM   #2
trainboysd40

Send a message via MSN to trainboysd40

I'd get it if I was rich.
Image © Matthew Hicks
PhotoID: 312762
Photograph © Matthew Hicks
Obligatory link to shots on RP, HERE
trainboysd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 01:59 AM   #3
Dennis A. Livesey

Amazon has it for $1,579.00.

But Canon says it won't be available till January or so.

Or shall I say the Canon rep at the PDN show here in NY said January.

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777

Last edited by Dennis A. Livesey; 10-31-2010 at 02:05 AM.
Old 10-31-2010, 06:36 PM   #4
Kilroy1313

If money is not a problem for you, so buy it, but I believe that such item will generate some stress in using it (to rent is also a very good idea).
After spending so much money one feels obliged to use that stuff and I believe that such very extreme objectif will generate a lot of problems in finding subjects to picture with it. And the distorted effect of the resulting pictures is not everyones taste.
Later on after a few very nice pictures this superb piece of equipment will rest in peace somewhere on your attic (or worse, you'll have it all the time in your camera bag - in case of - wondering why this one seems so heavy and your back hurting so much after some trips).
If you're not a fanatic of original stuff maybe you could interest yourself for a much less expensiver one from Sigma.
Train-Videos

Kilroy1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 08:15 PM   #5
trainboysd40

Kilroy, that Sigma's not a fisheye....the Canon is. Sigma has a zoom fisheye, but it's only for crop cameras.
Old 10-31-2010, 09:31 PM   #6
Kilroy1313

I did not made a greater research, only wanted to point out about the question to eventually save a lot of money. Sure, if you "must" have the fisheye effect, the choices must be limited and the prices high. - I remember overlooking the data of a huge Nikon fisheye objectif (not even mentioning the immense weight), never knew the price of it - think this must have been lightyears away from my financial possibilities.
Train-Videos

Kilroy1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 10:59 PM   #7
trainboysd40

Good call - I don't know what you're talking about so I'll chime in with something similar! Oh, you mean you actually want something else? I'll assume that every fisheye is the same as the most expensive one from 1970 anyways!
Old 11-01-2010, 12:42 AM   #8
Dennis A. Livesey

To make it clear, this is a lens that when used at 8mm creates a fisheye circular image on full frame cameras but when you zoom in, the circular image goes away and you are working with a very wide but regular image from 10mm to 15mm.

The reason I posted about this lens is the fact that many outstanding shots on RP have been made by the Canon 10-22.

I just know many new shots will be made from this 8-10mm lens.

I have employed my 15mm semi-fisheye for the past 10 years as a secret weapon. I don't use it all the time, but every once and awhile it is the perfect answer.

Image © Dennis A. Livesey
PhotoID: 287493
Photograph © Dennis A. Livesey

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

Old 11-01-2010, 01:11 AM   #9
lerro984

10.5 Nikon Fisheye
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphot...169185&nseq=55
lerro984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 01:22 AM   #10
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis A. Livesey View Post
To make it clear, this is a lens that when used at 8mm creates a fisheye circular image on full frame cameras but when you zoom in, the circular image goes away and you are working with a very wide but regular image from 10mm to 15mm.

This is not true. The difference between a regular (rectilinear) and fisheye lens is not just what happens when zoomed out, it isn't just the shape of the border of the captured image. Even when zoomed in, when all parts of the rectangle are covered with image, the image will appear different (for the same focal length). See:

http://www.bobatkins.com/photography...d_of_view.html

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 03:56 AM   #11
Dennis A. Livesey

J, J, J. Who ya gonna believe, some guy blathering in his blog or your buddy, me? I'm the one here who has had this 8-15mm in his grubby paws, not him.

Look, it's obvious I'm not the world's greatest communicator since people are not getting what I'm talking about.

This lens does not produce a fisheye image that gets enlarged when you zoom in. It goes from a fisheye into a fairly straight line extreme wide angle. And I've got to tell you, I have never seen anything like this lens in a lifetime career of photography.

It's not the Second Coming and it's not going to change the world as we know it. But just wait until you see for yourselves. And then look forward to the great railroad images it will produce.

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

Old 11-01-2010, 04:40 AM   #12
JRMDC

Quote:
J, J, J. Who ya gonna believe, some guy blathering in his blog or your buddy, me? I'm the one here who has had this 8-15mm in his grubby paws, not him.
D, D, D. Who I believe depends on what is being said. You have (as a part of a longer post) made a technical claim. "Some guy" is a leading photographic technology reviewer/writer who I have been reading for years and years. The issue at hand is technology. He knows it. Not saying he can never be wrong, but he knows it. (As far as I have seen he has yet to review the 8-15, but the issue at hand, at least at my hand, is not subject to review and opinion.)

Quote:
Look, it's obvious I'm not the world's greatest communicator since people are not getting what I'm talking about.

This lens does not produce a fisheye image that gets enlarged when you zoom in. It goes from a fisheye into a fairly straight line extreme wide angle. And I've got to tell you, I have never seen anything like this lens in a lifetime career of photography.
I will do two things. First, I will simply restate, or perhaps state differently or state a related concept. Rectilinear and fisheye are different. One cannot just take a rectangular and complete crop out of the middle of a circular fisheye image and have a rectilinear (standard) image. The two are different, not just at the circular edge of the fisheye, but in the middle also. They are different as a matter of optics/geometry.

Thus, your next to last sentence above is wrong, as I understand the technology, as a matter of fact, not one of opinion. Now, if you are saying that in practice you see little difference between, say, the 8-15 shot at 15 and the 10-22 (rectilinear zoom) shot at 15, well, that may be your opinion and it may be well founded, or maybe you are not sufficiently attuned to the differences between fisheye and rectilinear. We can debate that, that is a matter of debate. But the two lenses simply do not, as a matter of construction and optics, produce the same image at 15mm.

Second, I will try using an analogy. Are you familiar with map projections, say projections of the ball-shaped world onto a flat two-dimensional map? The Mercator projection, the Robinson, all the others? There is no one way to project a curved surface onto a flat surface, and map makers have come up with many, many alternatives. An analogous issue is here. There is more than one way of capturing what comes into the front of the lens and converting it into the image on the flat sensor. Rectilinear and fisheye are just different ways.

This is not a matter of opinion.

Quote:
It's not the Second Coming and it's not going to change the world as we know it. But just wait until you see for yourselves. And then look forward to the great railroad images it will produce.
Absolutely! But that has nothing to do with whether or not you correctly described the lens in terms of its technical details. I challenged only a technical statement within a broader post.

As for me, it would be cool to try the lens, but frankly I am still trying to get comfortable with getting interesting images from the 10 end of my rectilinear 10-22; I have no interest in trying a fisheye. I do look forward to seeing any fisheyes that do appear - to date RP has precious few such images.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots

Last edited by JRMDC; 11-01-2010 at 04:46 AM.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:55 AM   #13
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

Gimmicky Lens, Sounds fun but hard to get shots worth its price? Some will love but not I.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 04:28 PM   #14
troy12n
Banned

The fact that it's a circular fisheye sucks and it's overpriced. You can get the existing 15/2.8 fisheye for like 500$
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 11:48 PM   #15
Dennis A. Livesey

This lens goes from a fisheye and zooms into a regular wide angle.

Just saying.

Again.

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

Old 11-02-2010, 01:53 AM   #16
JRMDC

Quote:

Just saying.

Again.
Ok, I'll try a different tack. What is your evidence? Have you carefully compared test shots (say, with a bunch of lines) taken with this lens and with a rectilinear lens at 15mm? Can you point to a Canon technical document saying the lens is fisheye only at the wide end?

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 11-02-2010, 01:58 AM   #17
troy12n
Banned

Quote:

Just saying.

Again.
No, apparently it is a circular fisheye at the wide end and "zooms" into a full frame fish, like the current 15/2.8 fish

I think it's kind of stupid. And WAAAAY overpriced. Anyone notice Canon's recent new lenses are priced almost as absurdly as most of Nikons? Disturbing trend...
Old 11-02-2010, 03:37 AM   #18
Dennis A. Livesey

Cool

Janusz, I love you man.

But personally I never understood lens charts (outside of the DOF ones I needed at work) and in the end they are just a drag compared to what cool things you can actually DO with the lens.

Watch a Canon movie demo instead of charts of evidence. Much more fun!

Here is the link;

http://web.canon.jp/imaging/ef/sampl...-15_f4l_f_usm/

Watch close for the first seconds; that's where the fisheye is. They mostly shot it, I guess, with the "tight" end of 15mm.

Troy, I love you too man.

But in a different way.

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

Old 11-02-2010, 03:48 AM   #19
trainboysd40

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
No, apparently it is a circular fisheye at the wide end and "zooms" into a full frame fish, like the current 15/2.8 fish

I think it's kind of stupid. And WAAAAY overpriced. Anyone notice Canon's recent new lenses are priced almost as absurdly as most of Nikons? Disturbing trend...
I think you're...-gasp- right about the zoom range of the fisheye, I saw a video made using it. And yes, it was...fishy.
Also, anyone notice Canon's recent new lenses are almost as high quality as most of Nikon's?
Old 11-02-2010, 03:54 AM   #20
trainboysd40

Quote:
Janusz, I love you man.

But personally I never understood lens charts (outside of the DOF ones I needed at work) and in the end they are just a drag compared to what cool things you can actually DO with the lens.

Watch a Canon movie demo instead of charts of evidence. Much more fun!

Here is the link;

http://web.canon.jp/imaging/ef/sampl...-15_f4l_f_usm/

Watch close for the first seconds; that's where the fisheye is. They mostly shot it, I guess, with the "tight" end of 15mm.

Troy, I love you too man.

But in a different way.
Hey Dennis! Thanks for finding the video for me. And yes, it's DEFINITELY not a rectilinear lens zoomed in.
Old 11-03-2010, 01:44 AM   #21
Dennis A. Livesey

J? J?

Troy? Troy?

Wazzit something I said?

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

Old 11-03-2010, 01:50 AM   #22
troy12n
Banned

All I can say is I cant wait to see what staged butch women holding pipe wrenches in front of a fog machine and unlevel prop locomotive looks like in fisheye

Last edited by troy12n; 11-03-2010 at 10:19 AM.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:10 AM   #23
Dennis A. Livesey

Troy, did you post to the right thread?

Do you mean something about fisheye's? Not sure.

If it's about Kelly's shot, that that thread is over here.

http://forums.railpictures.net/showthread.php?t=13042

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

Old 11-03-2010, 04:46 AM   #24
Joe the Photog

I loved my 10 to 22 mm lens to (it's) death. I bet I would go crazy with the 8 to 15 mm.