Old 10-06-2012, 02:07 AM   #1
Dennis A. Livesey
Senior Member
 
Dennis A. Livesey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,986
Default Sharing and caring...

This not to RP's taste but I thought it was interesting enough to share for it's 7 days of visibility on the rejection list.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...15&key=4106817
__________________
Dennis

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 02:30 AM   #2
asis80
Senior Member
 
asis80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: PA
Posts: 1,460
Send a message via AIM to asis80
Default

Nice! I think a lower angle and zoomed a bit would have made this killer! Good as-is though Dennis!

Ben
__________________
Trains.
asis80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 03:41 AM   #3
Dennis A. Livesey
Senior Member
 
Dennis A. Livesey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,986
Default

Thanks Ben.

The opportunity window for this shot is about 15 seconds once a year so it will be a while until the next try.

You say crop. Like this?

Amtak on Steamtown Track 9 - Version 2
__________________
Dennis

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:36 PM   #4
skyliner
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Virginia
Posts: 125
Default Sharing and caring

Dennis:
Nice shot; thanks for sharing!
George
skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 02:33 PM   #5
Hatchetman
Part-Time Railfan
 
Hatchetman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,381
Default

I like it, I would crop in between the two versions.
__________________
Now with Flickr!
Hatchetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 03:26 PM   #6
Dennis A. Livesey
Senior Member
 
Dennis A. Livesey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,986
Default

I often over do things. Here is an in between crop.

Resubmit?

Amtak on Steamtown Track 9 - Version 3
__________________
Dennis

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:11 PM   #7
magicman_841
Senior Member
 
magicman_841's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 1,024
Default

I would add a bit more contrast and resubmit.
__________________
Mathieu Tremblay
Choo photos
magicman_841 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:44 PM   #8
Dennis A. Livesey
Senior Member
 
Dennis A. Livesey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,986
Default

Mathieu

I lowered the contrast after the first rejection. Shall I raise it?
__________________
Dennis

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:58 PM   #9
Hatchetman
Part-Time Railfan
 
Hatchetman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,381
Default

Maybe move the black point to decrease the dynamic range. Just a thought.
__________________
Now with Flickr!
Hatchetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:16 PM   #10
magicman_841
Senior Member
 
magicman_841's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 1,024
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis A. Livesey View Post
Mathieu

I lowered the contrast after the first rejection. Shall I raise it?
The blacks look a bit too grey in that last edit. IMO. YMMV. FWIW.
__________________
Mathieu Tremblay
Choo photos
magicman_841 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:25 PM   #11
Dennis A. Livesey
Senior Member
 
Dennis A. Livesey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,986
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicman_841 View Post
The blacks look a bit too grey in that last edit. IMO. YMMV. FWIW.
OK. I now see what you guys mean.

I will resubmit and we will see.

I appreciate all IMO, YMMV and FWIW BTW.
__________________
Dennis

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:53 PM   #12
Mgoldman
Senior Member
 
Mgoldman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 3,661
Default

I'm sorry - what am I missing?

Seems you captured an audience with this shot - and, ironically, the shot likely got better reviews in the forum then had it been instead, accepted in the database.

The question is to those who like it is - what is it about the shot you like?

What is the theme? The story? New within old, perhaps, but I don't see enough of the new to really contrast the old. Curious.

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:21 PM   #13
Dennis A. Livesey
Senior Member
 
Dennis A. Livesey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,986
Default

A valid point. "What is this shot about?" "Why should anyone look at it?"

This is not a wedge or calendar art thus it falls outside of RP's normal. However, it does have a different angle, and a nice interplay of light and dark.

I would say it is worth looking at because:

1. News interest. It is a very different view of railroad train. Really, how often do you see an Amtraker going through a roundhouse?

2. It is visually interesting; the eye has a good time looking. You have here an outside lit door, then a dark inside, then a further door, and bright outside. The eye goes to bright things so it goes right the Amtrak outside, then the eye goes into the round house, then the eye see the people and it is all framed by the outer door.

In analyzing this image I do not wish to overplay it and imply it is the greatest of all time.

I just thought it was interesting and that others would find it so as well.
__________________
Dennis

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:04 AM   #14
JimThias
Senior Member
 
JimThias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 9,838
Default

It would get a ton of views because people would click on the thumbnail wondering what's going on in the photo.

By the way, Dennis, for some reason your thread title made me think of this.



__________________
.
Rhymes with slice, rice and mice, and probably should be spelled like "Tice."

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias

Last edited by JimThias; 10-07-2012 at 12:35 AM.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:43 AM   #15
Dennis A. Livesey
Senior Member
 
Dennis A. Livesey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,986
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
It would get a ton of views because people would click on the thumbnail wondering what's going on in the photo.

By the way, Dennis, for some reason your thread title made me think of this.

That video would make anyone a diabetic. Hehehehe.

Actually, I was thinking of a "Friends" episode when Joey is saying his blessing as a priest. Funny, funny line.

When I resubmitted a little while ago, my image was 30-ish in a field of 35-ish. Now it's 1 out of 5. I suspect it is getting passed around the screeners.

More hehehe on my part.
__________________
Dennis

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:14 AM   #16
JRMDC
Senior Member
 
JRMDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 11,202
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis A. Livesey View Post
I suspect it is getting passed around the screeners.
Here, you take this and break poor Dennis' heart! No, you take it, I had to deal with Dennis last time. No, you take it, I am sick of screening Dennis' shots. No, you ...
__________________
My RP pix are here.
My Flickr pix are here.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:22 AM   #17
Dennis A. Livesey
Senior Member
 
Dennis A. Livesey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,986
Default

Now 1 out of 19! Still number 1!
__________________
Dennis

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:46 AM   #18
Mgoldman
Senior Member
 
Mgoldman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 3,661
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
Here, you take this and break poor Dennis' heart! No, you take it, I had to deal with Dennis last time. No, you take it, I am sick of screening Dennis' shots. No, you ...
I often do wonder what thoughts prevail when that occurs...

I tend not to think of it as fear of breaking hearts, but rather -

"If I let this on and someone does not think it's either appealing
or technically perfect in every way possible, this site could go under!"
"I really would like to put it on but the risk is just to high for me
alone to take." - followed by: "Oh - a roster shot - that's a no
brainer - it's not pretty but there is not one rule being pushed."

Honestly - no disrespect meant - just wish admin (or a unique
screener) would just lighten up a bit.

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:01 AM   #19
Mgoldman
Senior Member
 
Mgoldman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 3,661
Default

In regards to your perspective, Dennis -

I'll give you that - my eyes are drawn into and back out of the old roundhouse but that's where my travels end - the tail end of an uncoupled Metroliner does not carry enough weight to keep me interested nor strike a contrast with me as the "new" in an "old" place-setting.

It would certainly work better (for myself) had it been the NS F unit head on or something much newer looking - maybe a new GE or EMD from NS or CP. Or, the Metroliner either closer and more distinguishable - or better balanced in regards to the lighting and contrast.

PS - Thanks for the heads up on my off colored yellow station lobby shot - much better thanks to your observation, though quite tricky to fix. : )

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:53 AM   #20
Dennis A. Livesey
Senior Member
 
Dennis A. Livesey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,986
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman View Post
In regards to your perspective, Dennis -

I'll give you that - my eyes are drawn into and back out of the old roundhouse but that's where my travels end - the tail end of an uncoupled Metroliner does not carry enough weight to keep me interested nor strike a contrast with me as the "new" in an "old" place-setting.

It would certainly work better (for myself) had it been the NS F unit head on or something much newer looking - maybe a new GE or EMD from NS or CP. Or, the Metroliner either closer and more distinguishable - or better balanced in regards to the lighting and contrast.

/Mitch
We could argue the merits of this shot...but no point really. The image is a trifle and not worth it.

Particularly since RP has rejected it a 3rd time.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...93&key=3812626
__________________
Dennis

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 04:57 AM   #21
Dennis A. Livesey
Senior Member
 
Dennis A. Livesey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,986
Default

BTW, Mitch I am acknowledging the change in your avatar. I take it you are...

"double dog daring" us now?
__________________
Dennis

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:15 AM   #22
Mgoldman
Senior Member
 
Mgoldman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 3,661
Default

No - actually never got around to replacing it with the original after a thread about duplicate remarks some time back... but, I like your thoughts and I think I'll go with it!

As for your shot - it's not a trifle, I was just pointing out my own personal point of view and I tend to take these discussions to closure. I was actually hoping to be swayed. At the very least - I was curious what the others had seen that I may have missed. It could simply be my penchant for perfection though I make allowances when supplemented in other ways. It's all about balance - and tenacity!

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.