Old 05-02-2013, 11:39 AM   #1
Elitewolf135

Default Unlevel issue

I'm back again, this time trying to use what I've been seeing going on here (sun behind back, open space, etc.) to take my next photos of EMDX 1203.
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...27&key=1839118
However, it appears to be unlevel after I have edited it to be a bit level. Not sure how to correct it because I can't tell what point they're looking at.
When I first uploaded the image, the contrast was extremely bad (in the high way) so I also have corrected that.
Elitewolf135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:39 PM   #2
magicman_841

It's leaning to the right.

Why didn't you shoot it just getting out of that bridge in the background?
Old 05-02-2013, 02:37 PM   #3
Elitewolf135

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicman_841 View Post
It's leaning to the right.

Why didn't you shoot it just getting out of that bridge in the background?
Another RP member was getting that shot, I felt it wouldn't be a good idea to have identical shots.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphot...=434476&nseq=0

I have "corrected" the level issue but now I have an issue with bad color which I am working on. Seems a bit too yellow for me so I tried to balance the color out.

http://www.railpictures.net/images/d...1367504933.jpg
Old 05-02-2013, 04:02 PM   #4
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elitewolf135 View Post
Another RP member was getting that shot, I felt it wouldn't be a good idea to have identical shots.
I would have shot the bridge over this composition. To heck with RP.

Your shot, while now 'level' per say is still suffering from a fair amount of lens generated distortion. It could also use a boost in saturation and contrast.

Loyd L.

My personal photography site

Last edited by bigbassloyd; 05-02-2013 at 04:06 PM.
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:54 PM   #5
Elitewolf135

I will admit that the composition was more of a "personal preference", seeing how I wanted to get a bit of the locomotive's side in it too. That, and my 70-300mm lens is a macro one - good only for 50-3.1ft in focus (as in, everything else seems to look distorted at a distance farther than 50). Trespassing to use it would not have been a good idea, and I'd never go that far to get a photo.
With that being said, it appears that the JPEG version is more vivid for some reason.
http://hostthenpost.org/uploads/705d...4d171af96a.png
Honestly, I'd love a better telephoto, but they're too expensive for me at the moment.
If anything, it'll be a nice photo to hang in my room, even if it's not "RailPictures Quality". That's not saying I'm not willing to correct it's flaws, since that ends up helping it when it gets printed.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:33 PM   #6
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
I would have shot the bridge over this composition. To heck with RP.
I could not agree more. You had a cahnce to get a really good shot of a train crossing a cool bridge. But instead you got a typical wedgie that could have been taken anywhere.

On the rare case where I shoot with other RP photogs, I do try to shoot a different angle than the rest of them. But sometimes the obvious shot is obvious for a reason and, as Loyd put it, "To heck with RP."
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
Your shot, while now 'level' per say is still suffering from a fair amount of lens generated distortion. It could also use a boost in saturation and contrast.
I'm also not a fan of the dimensions. One of them was roughly 1200X717 or so. I prefer the low number to be no less than 800, but that might just be a personal preference.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:06 PM   #7
Elitewolf135

Thanks Joe for the dimensions tip and everyone else for their input.
I'll be down in Munhall again. While the train it's self won't be as cool, I'll still get a chance to experiment around with the bridge as you guys suggested.
I'm new to this, so now I know not to get classic "wedgies" unless it's a last resort.
I've written this down in a tiny notebook I have started labeled "Train Photography Quick Reference". If any of you wish to suggest anything else I should add in there (or link references), that would be much appreciated.
I found an affordable Nikkor lens too - 55-300mm and only $250. I'll be saving up for that.
I'm still getting it printed though, can't leave that out of the bedroom remodeling plans.