Old 08-06-2013, 11:23 PM   #26
asis80

Send a message via AIM to asis80

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
What's bad about the area? It seems that's a pretty popular bridge to shoot. Does a photographer have to watch his back every time he goes on that bridge for a shot?

Jim, absolutely not. Protected sidewalk via metal barrier, nice and wide, and like I said police station is less than 100 yards from this location. The entrance/exit is right at the bridge and more often than not the police staff and sometimes police cars are parked under the bridge.

Kevin, let's leave the bickering between you and Ian off the internet, at least here on the forums.

Ben
Old 08-06-2013, 11:27 PM   #27
jdirelan87

Ben is right. Mckeesport is run down, but no more dangerous than other place in Steel Valley. The bridge is the main route through town so there is always traffic on it. As has already been said, you can literally see all the cruisers parked in the lot some of the shots posted on RP.

Side note to Elitewolf; if there was ever a way for a very new poster such as yourself to lose all credibility and support in the forums, it would be to publicly discuss personal issues with other more established members.
jdirelan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 11:32 PM   #28
Elitewolf135

Quote:
Originally Posted by asis80 View Post
Jim, absolutely not. Protected sidewalk via metal barrier, nice and wide, and like I said police station is less than 100 yards from this location.
The place I was at had a concrete barrier, needless to say it was nice to have something to lean my back against as I waited for amtrak.
People even walked past me, I just grabbed onto my tripod just in case and most just passed with a confused look as to what I was doing. Heck, even a few families asked what I was doing.

As commonly said, don't let a few rotten pears ruin the bunch. That's how I feel about the 'fans in general around here. Some people dislike me, and I dislike them. At the same time I don't dislike everyone because of it.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:38 PM   #29
jdirelan87

Quote:
So...how is it a bad area?
Actually, McKeesport does kinda look like a rough neighbor. According to the stats below, you are nearly four times as likely to be assaulted and twice as likely to get burglarized in McKeesport as in Pittsburgh (which I would call a fairly low crime city for its size)

Rest easy though, your chances of getting murdered or rape are about equal.

http://www.city-data.com/crime/crime...nsylvania.html

Last edited by jdirelan87; 08-06-2013 at 11:43 PM.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:52 PM   #30
Elitewolf135

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdirelan87 View Post
Actually, McKeesport does kinda look like a rough neighbor. According to the stats below, you are nearly four times as likely to be assaulted and twice as likely to get burglarized in McKeesport as in Pittsburgh (which I would call a fairly low crime city for its size)

Rest easy though, your chances of getting murdered or rape are about equal.

Hard to say if I ever want to leave the house after seeing that.
Though, I understand the reasoning behind it. Usually, most things that happens in Glassport is kept away from the media for whatever reason I cannot figure out.
I'm aware of the constant drug busts though, and some of the registered child offenders that live around here.

Last edited by Elitewolf135; 08-06-2013 at 11:57 PM.
Elitewolf135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 01:11 AM   #31
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by asis80 View Post
McKeesport gets a bad rap. Although, every few days or so, the headlines read "So and so shot dead at McKeesport" or "Drug bust in McKeesport". Brad and I never had an issue through the hours of the night getting this photo.

Image © Ben Sutton
PhotoID: 397691
Photograph © Ben Sutton

It helps that the police station for McKeesport is less than 100 yards from the bridge. Not the friendliest or the deadliest place on the planet.

Ben
I think that Chicago is about the deadliest place in the U.S. currently. Something like 5 people are murdered each day.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 02:36 AM   #32
Elitewolf135

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
I think that Chicago is about the deadliest place in the U.S. currently. Something like 5 people are murdered each day.
Yeah, McKeesport is like one every one-two weeks. The risk is the same everywhere really, unless you get into places like Chicago.
That's why I did not worry too much.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:47 AM   #33
JimThias

Quote:
That stat is such a fallacy. If you've ever been to Chicago, you know it's a pretty safe city. It just happens to be that a part of the ghetto where a lot of these killings take place falls within the city limit...which is nowhere near downtown or the vast majority of the rest of the city where killings aren't a daily occurance.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 02:53 AM   #34
Freericks
Met Fan

Quote:
That stat is such a fallacy. If you've ever been to Chicago, you know it's a pretty safe city. It just happens to be that a part of the ghetto where a lot of these killings take place falls within the city limit...which is nowhere near downtown or the vast majority of the rest of the city where killings aren't a daily occurance.
What Jim said, but with occurrence spelled correctly.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 03:00 AM   #35
JimThias

Damn auto correct on my phone didn't catch it. That's what I get for not using my computer.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 03:27 AM   #36
jdirelan87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elitewolf135 View Post
Yeah, McKeesport is like one every one-two weeks. The risk is the same everywhere really, unless you get into places like Chicago.
That's why I did not worry too much.
Or once every four months.... all you had to do was click on the provided link
Old 08-07-2013, 04:41 AM   #37
Elitewolf135

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdirelan87 View Post
Or once every four months.... all you had to do was click on the provided link
I'm a bad boy for listening to the media instead of the truth.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:31 AM   #38
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
The reason I mentioned it is because chances are, some of those areas are near where railroads run.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:56 PM   #39
nikos1

Quote:
The reason I mentioned it is because chances are, some of those areas are near where railroads run.
Its like any other city, you have to be aware of your surroundings, if you are a dumbass and go foam it up at Englewood at 3 AM you probably deserve to be shot.....
There are plenty of places to go that are perfectly safe even if you are getting around by public transit.

Wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=7861

More wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://nikos1.rrpicturearchives.net/

Video wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's
http://youtube.com/profile?user=nikosjk1
nikos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 03:21 PM   #40
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikos1 View Post
Its like any other city, you have to be aware of your surroundings, if you are a dumbass and go foam it up at Englewood at 3 AM you probably deserve to be shot.....
There are plenty of places to go that are perfectly safe even if you are getting around by public transit.
Ralfanning in Watts isnt a good idea?
Old 08-07-2013, 03:53 PM   #41
Freericks
Met Fan

Quote:
Ralfanning in Watts isnt a good idea?
Actually, it's mostly fine - I'm there quite a bit. I would avoid right around when school lets out, but there are pretty much three trains you can count on and they are unlikely to be running at that time. If you are shooting the Blue Line on the other hand, that is all day.

I wouldn't hang out there at night.

The Torrance and the Elsie are easy catches in the morning. The Rock Train is probably going to go through in the afternoon. If you're getting the Watts shot on any of these, you're pretty much in and out quickly and the area around the station is busy.

Like I said, except just after school lets out and you have a bunch of rowdy kids looking to show off (which is frankly trouble in any neighborhood, anywhere if you're a dork standing alone with a camera waiting on trains) Watts and the rest of South Central isn't so bad.

Image © Charles J Freericks
PhotoID: 428212
Photograph © Charles J Freericks

PhotoID: 425411

PhotoID: 425362

PhotoID: 386362
Old 08-07-2013, 04:02 PM   #42
bigbassloyd

It's just so scenic. I love how the trash gives some color to the boring ballast..

Railfanning in South Central will not be on my bucket list.

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 04:28 PM   #43
Freericks
Met Fan

It is what is - and that is what interests me.
Old 08-07-2013, 05:10 PM   #44
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
It's just so scenic. I love how the trash gives some color to the boring ballast..

Railfanning in South Central will not be on my bucket list.

Loyd L.
Yea, if I wanted to go take pictures of graffitti'ed up alleys and trash strewn right of ways, I could do that here. We certainly have our version of Watts / Compton here, and the ex-ACL main goes right through it, in fact the twice daily Amtrak turns on a wye and backs into the station, so a visitor to Tampa's first introduction to the city is the train pulling off the main, which in itself is in a run down coridoor with graffitti'ed up warehouses and crumbling former pieces of industry, onto an industrial spur right next to a school building that is mostly fallen over and crumbling into itself in the middle of a ghetto neighborhood. The train comes to a stop while the conductor stands in an open door of the last car and waits on a signal and the switch to line so they can back 3 miles into the station.
Old 08-07-2013, 05:11 PM   #45
troy12n
Banned

It's amazing how much better this shot would be if the surroundings werent so unkempt
PhotoID: 425362

Do I smell a gallery brewing? Most ghetto railfanning locations?
Old 08-07-2013, 06:22 PM   #46
Freericks
Met Fan

Not your cup of tea, and that's cool. I hear you. I am not big on the gang tagging at all. Hate all of that.

What drives me to shoot down there however is that I didn't shoot this kind of stuff in New York and Hoboken/Jersey City when I was growing up and later on I felt bad about not recording it.

Moreover, I really enjoy recording what is - whether I like what is or not. My hobby, my intent is not always beauty (sure, I go for beauty sometimes, but let's be frank, I'm shooting a several thousand ton compelations of steel built purely on the methodology of form follows function - so beauty is an afterthought anyway).

In the end, I spend time at Cajon, and Gaviota, and Tehachappi, and frankly I probably enjoy that more.

But I dig this stuff too. I really do.

PhotoID: 444358

PhotoID: 316526

PhotoID: 324766
Old 08-07-2013, 08:11 PM   #47
JMC

That middle shot reminds me of "the desert"....excellent. If I railfanned any of the locations mentioned I would definitely be packing heat!
JMC is offline   Reply With Quote