Old 10-13-2006, 01:56 AM   #26
becker
Louis Becker

Quote:
Originally Posted by a231pacific
If everyone's wedge shots were as good as yours, there would be no more "Wedgie" bashing! You've got snow, you've got grain elevators, you've got a station sign, you've got nice clouds, you've got interesting foreground (tracks in the snow and shadows) and it's well composed! It's a good picture!
Hi Michael,

Thanks for the comments! As you have probably noticed, the wedge shot does seem to work quite well for me. Lately, though, I've tried to work a bit differently with them, for one thing converting to B&W:

Image © Louis Becker
PhotoID: 159384
Photograph © Louis Becker

or standing at a more far away point from the tracks to get more foreground:

Image © Louis Becker
PhotoID: 160082

But if I'm going to take just a standard 3/4 wedge, I like to try to get more of an "environment" in the image rather than just a rural crossing with a train, blue sky, and tracks, like you said, if it's possible:

Image © Louis Becker
PhotoID: 160893

It's just that so much of the time, when WX conditions are favorable for a photo to be good enough quality for RP, I look for the sun to be at the point where it is shining on my side, on the nose, and is not too high. Because of this, so many times, a lot of pictures seem to be taking in identical conditions even though they can be on opposite coasts.

Here's a typical one, where I was just about to leave and hardly had any time, so I had to just use a typical crossing:

Image © Louis Becker
PhotoID: 154206

It basically comes down to the fact that when taking 3/4 wedges, I have to work with what I have. If the sun is high, I have to counteract it by taking a face on approach:

Image © Louis Becker
PhotoID: 153730

Image © Louis Becker
PhotoID: 154285

Overall though, it's fun to see what I can get with shots like these.

--Louis

Last edited by becker; 10-13-2006 at 01:59 AM. Reason: Typo; d'oh!
becker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 03:59 AM   #27
bnsf sammy

Here is my most popular "wedgie".
Image © BNSF SAMMY
PhotoID: 133998
Photograph © BNSF SAMMY
Old 10-13-2006, 06:31 AM   #28
jaanfo

Hmmm...

Image © Jaanfo
PhotoID: 159894
Photograph © Jaanfo

Image © Jaanfo
PhotoID: 134511
Photograph © Jaanfo

Image © Jaanfo
PhotoID: 152527
Photograph © Jaanfo

ok, with that out of my system......

Image © Jaanfo
PhotoID: 151911
Photograph © Jaanfo

Image © Jaanfo
PhotoID: 153460
Photograph © Jaanfo

Image © Jaanfo
PhotoID: 147936
Photograph © Jaanfo

The first three are my best wedgies, the last three are the ones I wonder how I got in (actually, the BNSF was ok, but it's just a wedgie lol)
jaanfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 03:26 PM   #29
ottergoose
American Gunzel

Send a message via AIM to ottergoose Send a message via Yahoo to ottergoose

I'm not 100% sure of what the criteria are for being a wedgie. I know the first one here is, I'm not sure about the last two...

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©
Old 10-13-2006, 06:12 PM   #30
a231pacific

Nick,

Your first one may be a classic wedge shot, but it has people in it and a flag flying from the Amtrak unit, which makes it out of the ordinary. Nothing wrong with that. If it had just been a standard unit with passenger cars trailing back, it wouldn't be a bad shot, just nothing special. That's what the complaint about wedgies is, that so many of them are just ho hum.

The other two shots may be from the same trackside perspective, but you would hardly call them wedgies. They are very creative. Nice shots! Certainly no ho hum there!

Michael Allen
a231pacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 06:34 PM   #31
ccaranna

OK, there have been lots of interpretations of what a wedgie is. I suppose that it's difficult to not create a wedge shape when it comes to shooting trains.....So, instead of posting my most popular wedge, I am posting my most BORING wedge shots. I have about a dozen+ that apply, but here are my 3 worst...(it was a tough call, since I have so many)

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©
ccaranna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 11:03 PM   #32
Northern Limits

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccaranna
OK, there have been lots of interpretations of what a wedgie is. I suppose that it's difficult to not create a wedge shape when it comes to shooting trains.....So, instead of posting my most popular wedge, I am posting my most BORING wedge shots. I have about a dozen+ that apply, but here are my 3 worst...(it was a tough call, since I have so many)
Thanks for your honesty Chuck. Someone actually posted a wedgie that I would understand all the fuss is about.

Jim
Northern Limits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 11:13 PM   #33
busyEMT

It makes sense to me, I thought it up, but I began to equate rail photos to the automobile. You have three standard vehicles: sedan, pick-up, and van. Likewise, there are the three standard photos: wedgie, artsy, and roster.

Take for instance this conversation of wedgies. There is the indisputable basic building block: a train, 3/4th angle, and perspective into the horizon. From the Focus to the Porsche, simplified, there is a chasis, 4 wheels and engine.

Now you can take Charles' last entry with "boring" wedgies as a Focus or Geo Metro or Dodge Colt. Basic, cheap and easy to produce. There are few (if any) bells-and-whistles. His photos get the job done of being photos. While they are suitable for publication or illustration, they would likely not command a king's ransom. His other wedge photos, have panache. They generate views, comments and are more likely to be sought out for inclusion in publication. Artistic wedgies take time, preparation or at least set-up and thought - but getting down to brass tacks, they are photos expanded upon from the basic wedgie. They are high performance, like a Porsche.

Everyone has tastes and preferences. But if RailPictures was a used car lot, they would have little supply and very few shoppers if all they had were Porsches.

Don't do anything you wouldn't want to explain to the paramedics!
busyEMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 11:21 PM   #34
MichaelJ
The Photo Journalist

Did I hear someone say Shinkansen? OOOOOH YEAH!

Image © Michael James
PhotoID: 133747
Photograph © Michael James

Image © Michael James
PhotoID: 133826

... and JR Hokkaido EMU?

Image © Michael James
PhotoID: 133839

Here are some other Australian 'popular' wedge photos in my portfolio online

Image © Michael James
PhotoID: 121819

Image © Michael James
PhotoID: 75032

Image © Michael James
PhotoID: 127917

Image © Michael James
PhotoID: 115109

Image © Michael James
PhotoID: 145349

The views expressed in this reply are personal and do not represent the views or policy of my employer.
MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 12:31 AM   #35
htgguy

At the risk of sounding like an idiot, what is the difference between a "wedgie" and a "telemash"? And where do you draw the line between the two?
htgguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 12:44 AM   #36
MichaelJ
The Photo Journalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by htgguy
At the risk of sounding like an idiot, what is the difference between a "wedgie" and a "telemash"? And where do you draw the line between the two?
Nah mate, you're not an idiot, infact it is quite a valid question.

I think that 'telemash' is created by using too much zoom. The cars/wagons look compressed and you cannot see much detail on the side of the train. The result is basically a front-on shot, much like your avatar. Anything more than about 135mm???

A three-quarter wedge shot is much more side on. You can see some front, but also side detail. These shots are created by taking a photo facing 10/11 O'Clock or 1/2 O'Clock.

The views expressed in this reply are personal and do not represent the views or policy of my employer.
Old 10-14-2006, 01:04 AM   #37
Ween

Jim,

Look at most of my stuff...it's telemashed (200mm). It's just the style I like. Of course, the 24-70mm f/2.8L has popped up on my want list recently...
Old 10-14-2006, 01:29 AM   #38
Joe the Photog

I would think this counts as a telemash. I like this shot because of the exhaust coming out and the building in the background.

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©
Old 10-14-2006, 02:57 PM   #39
a231pacific

One of the interesting things to come out of this thread is that there really are some nice wedgies out there. Chuck's 3 boring shot post has three nice, well framed and well lit shots. I'd stick them into a slide show, I just wouldn't stick 120 of them into a slide show! And that's the whole point of the fuss over Wedgies. They are prefectly fine, it's just that when more than 50% of the shots on RP were "wedgies" it was getting boring. The mix seems to be changing now, so maybe we can all be happy, including the guys who really love their wedgies!

I like tele-mashes too, but once again, I wouldn't do an entire slide show of them. Mix 'em up. Think of railroad photography like pitching, there are one pitch pitchers and there are three pitch pitchers. In the long run, the guys with more types of pitches do better! Same with photos, learn how to shoot more than one style and your friends will stop yawning during your slide shows!

Michael
Old 10-14-2006, 06:00 PM   #40
ccaranna

Quote:
Chuck's 3 boring shot post has three nice, well framed and well lit shots.
Thanks for the compliments Michael, though I wonder if the last two would be accepted these days, as I think the second suffers from "High Sun" (the trucks are shadowed, even the first shot is borderline) and the third may be rejected for "Cloudy Common Power", even though there is a very slight amount of light. These images may be proof that the site has tightened up their standards in the last couple of years. I guess the question is, should they tighten them up even more on wedges?

Last edited by ccaranna; 10-14-2006 at 06:03 PM.
Old 10-14-2006, 06:17 PM   #41
socalrailfan
Master Railfan

Quote:
They are prefectly fine, it's just that when more than 50% of the shots on RP were "wedgies" it was getting boring. The mix seems to be changing now, so maybe we can all be happy, including the guys who really love their wedgies!
Boring to the person who shoots a lot of them or sees lot of them, but to the average person it's still a good trian shot nonetheless.

It's kind of like a situation I'm dealing with with Webshots.com. I've recently become one of their Pro Photographers and a major portion of my shots they accept are not always what I would consider my absolute best work, but not my best work because I see thousands of RR photos a week. I brought this up with them. They said when you look the proshots as a whole and there not being 100's of trains photos, mine would stand out quite well to the average person or even the average railfan because it's not oversaturated.

Meaning I guess here we see so much we're basically oversaturating ourselves. I still have a hard time at times thinking my photos are anything great, but every week the comments on my photos all over the web give me a slight boost.

Food for thought since I think it relates to wedgies the same way. I love a nice wedgie shot, to me that's the way a train was meant to be shot, from the front looking down it.
See more of my train photos at:
http://community.webshots.com/user/firehouse16
See my train videos at:
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=SoCalRailFan
socalrailfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 08:28 PM   #42
a231pacific

To folow up with Chuck and Dave, I'm certainly not in favor of banning wedgies, I'd rather see people become more discriminating themselves and start submitting only their best work instead of regurgitating everything they take onto the web. Edit your own work before posting it would be my advice.

If the current trend of quality submissions continues, this whole "wedgie" thing may become irrelevant anyway. If too many start showing up again, the screeners can always invoke the "similar shot" rejection. It's their site and they can put their thumb on the scales if need be!

Michael Allen
Old 10-15-2006, 12:24 AM   #43
Ween

Quote:
Think of railroad photography like pitching, there are one pitch pitchers and there are three pitch pitchers. In the long run, the guys with more types of pitches do better!
Tell that to Mariano Rivera. Split-finger fastball and that's it. You know it's coming, but yet the guy still sits 'em down. Same w/ Tim Wakefield. Knuckleball at 60MPH. Just because someone shoots one type of shot doesn't mean they're a bad photographer (or lazy or uncreative or lacking ambition...just in case those get brought up again)...
Old 10-15-2006, 01:05 AM   #44
ccaranna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween
Tell that to Mariano Rivera. Split-finger fastball and that's it. You know it's coming, but yet the guy still sits 'em down. Same w/ Tim Wakefield. Knuckleball at 60MPH.
Those guys are good (Wakefield is OK- Most knuckleballers are inconsistent) but neither are hall of famers. I'm thinking more of the Greg Maddux type pitchers. Plus, what if Rivera actually learned another pitch? He'd be devastating.

Yes, to each their own. If you're great at wedges or other certain things, go for it! But it would be an awful boring place if we had nothing but fastball pitchers!! I'd rather watch a true pitching "Artiste" than a lawnmower. Power is good, but it's one dimensional! (-sorry, myop)

Before this devolves into a baseball thread, I guess what we're trying to say is, we don't want RP.net to become a fastball only site! (Which it isn't)

Last edited by ccaranna; 10-15-2006 at 05:29 AM.
Old 10-15-2006, 01:07 AM   #45
MichaelJ
The Photo Journalist

Quote:
Just because someone shoots one type of shot doesn't mean they're a bad photographer (or lazy or uncreative or lacking ambition...just in case those get brought up again)...
That's quite true ...

I have found that the angles a photographer/videographer can shoot from are limited in an electrified area. Those wires, staunchions, and resistors really get in the way.

Old 10-15-2006, 04:04 AM   #46
chauncey87

Send a message via AIM to chauncey87 Send a message via Yahoo to chauncey87

Image © Dante D-Train22 Angerville
PhotoID: 93632
Photograph © Dante D-Train22 Angerville

PhotoID: 87450

PhotoID: 92657

PhotoID: 89049

PhotoID: 92655

PhotoID: 92658
chauncey87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 09:24 PM   #47
a231pacific

Ween,

Mariano Rivera is great, but remember, he's a closer. He only pitches one inning!
Old 10-15-2006, 09:55 PM   #48
hoydie17
We Own The Night...

Send a message via AIM to hoydie17 Send a message via Yahoo to hoydie17

Quote:
Tell that to Mariano Rivera. Split-finger fastball and that's it. You know it's coming, but yet the guy still sits 'em down. Same w/ Tim Wakefield. Knuckleball at 60MPH. Just because someone shoots one type of shot doesn't mean they're a bad photographer (or lazy or uncreative or lacking ambition...just in case those get brought up again)...

Funny that the Yankees and the Red Sox are both playing golf already. Hmmm.

Sean <----- Tongue firmly planted in cheek.

Or if you want to see my work here at RP.net? Click here.

"It's just a damn train son!"
hoydie17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 10:40 PM   #49
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Quote:
Just because someone shoots one type of shot doesn't mean they're a bad photographer (or lazy or uncreative or lacking ambition...just in case those get brought up again)...
What it comes down to is who the photographer is. As was said before if thats what you are great at and are slowly perfecting than more than likely you will be seen as a good photographer. *wink*

Now, onto the part of my post that actually follows the original "question". My top 3 "wedgies" (as in views):
Image © Andrew Blaszczyk (2)
PhotoID: 39301
Photograph © Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

PhotoID: 50946

PhotoID: 91719

My three favorite "wedgies"(as in my three favorite wedgies):
PhotoID: 127989

PhotoID: 91714

PhotoID: 127607

"My camera is an artistic medium, not a tool of terrorism."

www.ab2photography.com Coming soon!
My photos on RailPictures:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=960
Andrew Blaszczyk (2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 12:18 AM   #50
WisconsinCentral

I personally like to mix it up, but unlike many people, im not picky at all. Sure, I would like good sun, blue skies, a good engine all the time, but what it boils down to is whats available. And some of these artistic shots arent ALWAYS available. And if you think its a nice crisp shot, and interesting (no matter what shot it is) why not post it. I post what I would like people to see on railpictures, and what may not be the best shot, or a trailing shot is put into my rrpicturearchives album. I myself always go for the "great shot" rather than just settling for what is easiest. And if the sun is in your way, i just get creative and/or put it in B&W. Heres a few examples of shots that I make the best out of.

Anyway, onto what this is about, most popular wedgies.The last one is not my most popular, and im pretty sure i have a caboose shot higher than my 2nd shot, but these are my favorites.

Image © Alec Holmes
PhotoID: 114627
Photograph © Alec Holmes

Image © Alec Holmes
PhotoID: 130399
Photograph © Alec Holmes

Image © Alec Holmes
PhotoID: 140825
Photograph © Alec Holmes

Alec

Last edited by WisconsinCentral; 10-16-2006 at 12:51 AM.
WisconsinCentral is offline   Reply With Quote