Old 10-29-2006, 11:55 AM   #1
Bill

Default Too dark - what do you think?

It was taken in the fog & mist...so the low visibility is intentional. Are other aspects too dark in your opinion?

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=302144

Thanks,
Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 11:56 AM   #2
Bill

Another one voted too dark. Think it has a chance?

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=302161

Thanks,
Bill
Old 10-29-2006, 01:42 PM   #3
busyEMT

Did you appeal either one? I think the first one would the best chance. Since the locomotives are black, detail doesn't come as easy. It is obvious that it is foggy.

Don't do anything you wouldn't want to explain to the paramedics!
busyEMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 02:58 PM   #4
Joe the Photog

I think the framing on the second one has the train too far away from the camera. The first one stands a good shot either on appeal or by lightning it up a hair.

Joe
some guy with a computer
Old 10-29-2006, 04:23 PM   #5
dodi4200

Send a message via Yahoo to dodi4200

For me i like the 2 shots as they are really very cool.The second one need alittle lightening at the face of the steam unit but i noticed that the bridge in it is distracting and if you cropped it that will cut alittle part from the smoke of the unit.I think that the first one ok.The colors of the trees are really very nice specially in the second shot.I think that you should appeal the first one and save the second one for personal collection.
(if you like an idea,thought alot in it and worked hard for it.you will get it)
click here 2 c my pix @ rp.net

Last edited by dodi4200; 10-29-2006 at 04:27 PM.
dodi4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 05:11 PM   #6
a231pacific

Bill,

Lord knows, I've got enough of my own rainy and or foggy WMSR shots, but I decided to take a shot at yours.

On the diesel shot, it looks like you tried to lighten it in your editing program, but counter intuitively, you need to darken the dark areas to restore the full dynamic range. I used curves and used the black dropper under the diesel fuel tank to get the blacks back, then I used 10% shadow recovery and 25% highlight recovery and it looks pretty good.

On the steam shot, I used curves to nudge the center of the curve from 129 to 114 which brightened it up, then I added 10% saturation to make sure the fall colors stayed strong after they were lightened. After posting it, I decided to give it a bit of shadow recovery as well, just to make it a bit brighter. Of the two shots, the diesel one is the more likely to be accepted.

Do you live in or near Cumberland? You've been posting a lot of neat shots from this fall's season. Are you going to take Pete Lero's December charter? If so, I hope you post some shots. It's too close to Christmas for me to make the long drive down, but I'd sure love to be there.

Michael Allen

Last edited by a231pacific; 10-29-2006 at 05:16 PM.
a231pacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 07:32 PM   #7
WisconsinCentral

Bill, as I was searching through the queues I saw your shots, and I never would have thought your GP30 shot wouldnt have been accepted! I'd have to say Michael's improvements would be the way to go.

Alec
WisconsinCentral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 07:43 PM   #8
dodi4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisconsinCentral
Bill, as I was searching through the queues I saw your shots
Alec,How can you see the queues of other people?I can just see my queues and not others's queues.
Old 10-29-2006, 07:46 PM   #9
WisconsinCentral

I guess im kinda sneaky....

Say you have queue # 52, and there are 66 in the database. Just take the last digit and move it up one number, and whala.

example: 302044 and then just add 1, 302045.

Alec
WisconsinCentral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 08:05 PM   #10
dodi4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisconsinCentral
I guess im kinda sneaky....

Say you have queue # 52, and there are 66 in the database. Just take the last digit and move it up one number, and whala.

example: 302044 and then just add 1, 302045.

Alec
WOW!!! Thats really very nice idea to see the shots that are in queue.But i hope that it wonot be wrong for the personality of the website.I will mail Chris for that to know if i could do that or not.
Thanks Alec for the explaining.
Old 10-30-2006, 03:21 AM   #11
a231pacific

Bill,

Here's another look at your Parkersburg Rd. steam shot. I just learned a new Photo Shop technique which really helps. It's called Local Contrast Enhancement and it's used when the tonal range, from light to dark, is greater than can actually be shown on the monitor or printed on paper. It involves using Unsharp mask and setting the amount at 20%, with a radius of 50 and a threshold of 0. Yes, that's a radius of 50!

I took your shot, used curves to lighten the mid tones, then 10% shadow recovery, then I bumped up saturation by 10%, then I applied Local Contrast Enhancement. After that I did a little normal sharpening. Compare this shot with my earlier post and you will see the difference!

Michael Allen

Last edited by a231pacific; 10-30-2006 at 03:26 AM.
Old 10-30-2006, 04:26 AM   #12
Mgoldman

Excellent results, Michael.
Is Christeen Sweetnam there with you?

I'll have to play around with that.

What method are you applying to get the 10% shadow recovery?

BTW - if you get yourself a copy of CSII, there are two new features.
Shadows and highlights and Exposure - amazing control in efforts to
fight the "dark side".

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 11:38 AM   #13
Bill

Michael, thanks a bunch. On the GP30 shot, I did dodge the front of the train to lighten it a bit as I figured it would be too dark for the judges. I like your enhancement...I'll play around a bit. I never used the Local Contrast Enhancement...thanks for the tip, I gotta try that one.

Yes, I'm a local & I'll be participating in the 12/18 shoot. Should be a good time...let's hope for snow, #734 is so beautiful in the snow.

Thanks to all others for your comments...much appreciated.

Thanks,
Bill
Old 10-30-2006, 11:27 PM   #14
a231pacific

Mitch,

The 10% shadow recovery is setting shadows/highlights at 10% for shadows in CS2. I had been using 10%, but leaving the other setting at default, but Alan Crotty receommended reducing both the tonal range and the radius from 50 to 25. He also recommends using 27% highlight at a tonal range of 25 and a radius of 25 as well. It really makes for improved sunny day shots. On Bill's foggy shot, I only used shadow recovery, not highlights.

The Local Contrast Enhancmemnt technique is explained at http://www.luminous-landscape.com/
This site is aimed at landscape photographers, but that's what a lot of us are doing, shooting landscapes with trains in them! The theory is, you notice small differences of contrast in the mid tones more than you do at the ends. This technique enhances mid tone contrast, but doesn't blow out the highlights as often happens in normal contrast enhancement.

Between Alan Crotty, Christine and the Luminous Landsacpe, I've learned a whole lot about photo shop in the last five months.

Michael Allen
Old 10-31-2006, 08:15 AM   #15
alan-crotty

Default Learned a lot

Thanks for the compliment Michael.

I'm very fortunate that the Kent County Digital Photographers Group meet each month a mile from my house. It's a sort of Internet forum, only we actually meet in person! We have around 50 members.

We have alternating months a speaker and a mutual improvement class, where everyone shares techniques.

It's very successful, been running 5 years now.
I guess the problem in the US is distance, can you imagine having to fly 500 miles to your monthly meet?

That aside, forums like RailPictures are developing well, the "Here's another reject" threads are changing from whinging to "Can any one help?", the help seems more forthcoming now.

Alan
alan-crotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 12:55 PM   #16
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan-crotty

That aside, forums like RailPictures are developing well, the "Here's another reject" threads are changing from whinging to "Can any one help?", the help seems more forthcoming now.

Alan
I've noticed that, too. It's very cool not to come here and see posts bitching and moaning that their perfect shot didn't get accepted by the screeners whom obviously have a personal ax to grind with this photographer they've never met in person before.

Joe