Old 12-18-2008, 03:18 PM   #1
mattyrob87

Default Night Photography Help, Tips, Advice!

Hi All,

I went to do some night photography last week for the first time just to try it out and overall I liked what I was getting although I didn't really know how to shoot in the night, so I shot on auto for most of the night... Anyhoo, the shots came out very grainy, so I was wondering if anybody could give me some pointers for taking night shots.

Any suggestions or help would be much appreciated!
mattyrob87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 03:54 PM   #2
shanedeemer

With night shots, you should set the ISO setting as low as possible to reduce the amount of grain in the image. In some cases, you will have to put the camera in manual mode.

Also, you will want to play with the exposure setting. The longer the exposure, the more light is let into the picture, and the brighter the image becomes. If the exposure is too short, the image is too dark. If the exposure is too long, it can drown out the subject to the point you won't recognize what you were shooting.

If you are trying for action night shots (streaking), they work best if there is a fixed object or two in the frame to balance out the steaking effect.
shanedeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 05:04 PM   #3
ottergoose
American Gunzel

Send a message via AIM to ottergoose Send a message via Yahoo to ottergoose

Set the ISO as low as it will go, use a tripod, and experiment like crazy. Try longer exposures with a wider apertures and shorter exposures with smaller apertures. If you're shooting JPEG, make sure you've properly set your white balance for the ambient lighting conditions. Take notice of where your light's coming from. Notice what an impact cloud cover makes... sometimes clouds are good, sometimes bad.
Old 12-18-2008, 05:15 PM   #4
Joe the Photog

Never EVER shoot on auto. Don't do it. Especially at night. You're smarter than that [piece of plastic you've got in your hands. Shooting on autro with a DSLR is like driving a sprts car but never first or second gear. You're simply not getting the most out of itthat you should. So stop it.

Right now!

Use the lowest ISO you can get away with. I almost rarely go above 200 with my XTi, but depending on the model camera you're using and the post processing software, you should try as many different settings as you can. Find an engine sitting alone somewhere or a depot and just shoot like crazy. If it ain'tmoving, it ain;t going anywhere andyou might as well practice as much as you can.

If you don't have a remote control or cable for your camera, put the camera on a timer so you don't move the camera at all when releasing the shutter. (Or rather you move the camera before you release the shutter.)

Joe
Old 12-18-2008, 07:46 PM   #5
J Douglas Moore

I have a couple nite shots on the DB and I can tell you that I took at least 10 or 12 of each shot with different time l;aspe. AND Joe is right NEVER NEVER use auto at nite. I use Manual set on bulb, tripod, release cable, live view for focus, and lotsa practice. I can now get the exposure real close after 2 or 3 shots. Whan I got my camera in July, I went out in my area at nite and prcticed so I wouldnt flub a good shot later...........

"Thanks for looking"

It is a proven fact that birthdays are good for you. The people with the most always live longer!
J Douglas Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 08:55 PM   #6
TAMR159

Get a remote shutter release (one that you can hold the shutter open with via the bulb setting on the camera). I'd also look into an E-TTL II flash with manual controls (one that you could mount on your camera via the hot-shoe so it can do double-duty). With manual controls, you can fire off numerous flashes from various angles (completely separate from your camera, I should add) like you'd do with a Lumedyne system - except it's a hell of a lot cheaper and more useful at the end of the day (plus it'll fit right in your camera bag...your typical Lumedyne system isn't what you'd call "small"). This can also help your cause with those pesky Sodium Vapor lights that cast a nasty orange hue, since these flashes are a nice, natural white.
TAMR159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 12:32 AM   #7
TheRoadForeman
Banned

Wink

Boy Nick, that sounds familiar!! LOL!! SB-800's firing full tilt eh?!
-- Kevin
TheRoadForeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 12:47 AM   #8
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAMR159
Get a remote shutter release (one that you can hold the shutter open with via the bulb setting on the camera). I'd also look into an E-TTL II flash with manual controls (one that you could mount on your camera via the hot-shoe so it can do double-duty). With manual controls, you can fire off numerous flashes from various angles (completely separate from your camera,
Are you saying that one can take a basic flash like a Canon 430EX, open you shutter, and walk around flashing the subject manually and it works? I've participated in a bulbs shoot but not a flash shoot. Is a 430 sufficient or does one at least need the additional power of the 580EX?

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 01:13 AM   #9
TheRoadForeman
Banned

Wink

Speaking for Nick, thats exactly what he is saying! He and I did that exact same thing on Sunday evening, except, with Nikon flash units. With Canon, same principal.

-- Kevin
Old 12-19-2008, 01:17 AM   #10
TheRoadForeman
Banned

Let me take this further, set a portable hot-shoe flash on full power and manually pop away at the subject until you get the desired results. You can even use an off-brand (Quantaray, Sunpak, Sigma, Metz, etc...) and get the EXACT same results. Give it a try!

-- Kevin
Old 12-19-2008, 01:22 AM   #11
JRMDC

OK, what sorts of subjects are good for this? An engine or car, no, one gets the reflective tape problem. A tower, I guess. Anyone have any examples?

Also, from my one experience with bulbs, the result was a fairly dull picture, I suspect because it lacked in contrast because the lighting was essentially flat and the repeated bulb flashes filled in any potential shadows. Any tips on doing a good one?

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 03:05 AM   #12
woody_k
still learnin'

I love shooting long exposures at night time. I always use ISO 100 and my exposures are from 10 to 30 seconds. I will say I have never shot a train at night nor have I been sucessful at a decent streak.

I took many long exposures while in Hawaii and recently on Haloween. The nice thing about digital, as you do know I am sure is that you can see your mistake and adjust exposure.

I sometimes take a mag light with me to assist in lighting or create shawdows.

I know this post may not help but I have a lot of fun with long exposures.

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!

Another site where I only upload what I think is the better images Flickr
woody_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 05:35 AM   #13
Bicot

I'll try not to repeat what the other guys said

My settings for action shots of a local switcher that stops only for 10-15 seconds at a time:

Setup #1: a fast lens (f 1: 8 ), a half mounted tripod, camera set in manual mode for exposure, aperture, white balance, iso and focus. I usually set the speed @ 1-2 seconds and adjust aperture accordingly. ISO 400 (remember, this is half-action photography). Removal of possible noise is done on computer.

Setup #2: 4 sychronised flashes held by helpers or tripods and a handheld camera. 1/100, f 2.8-4.5 iso 400

For long slow shots, same as everybody: remote, good tripod, low iso and experimenting.

Here are my two best in the DB:
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=237695
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=208521

Concerning the reflecting tape issues, as long as the lighting doesn't come directly from your camera, you should be ok...

Bicot (Marc Caya)

Last edited by Bicot; 12-19-2008 at 05:40 AM.
Bicot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 07:52 AM   #14
TAMR159

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC
Are you saying that one can take a basic flash like a Canon 430EX, open you shutter, and walk around flashing the subject manually and it works? I've participated in a bulbs shoot but not a flash shoot. Is a 430 sufficient or does one at least need the additional power of the 580EX?
I'm not sure if this unit features manual controls or not...I believe I read on FredMiranda.com that it doesn't. You should be able to get a Sunpak flash for a lot cheaper anyway with manual controls, or so Kevin tells me...
Old 12-19-2008, 07:54 AM   #15
TAMR159

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRoadForeman
Boy Nick, that sounds familiar!! LOL!! SB-800's firing full tilt eh?!
-- Kevin
Like I said, when it comes to be tax return time, a decent flash with manual controls is on the list...funny how we can live without something for years, then suddenly feel as though we *need* it...cell phones anyone?
Old 12-19-2008, 09:34 AM   #16
Christopher Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAMR159
Get a remote shutter release (one that you can hold the shutter open with via the bulb setting on the camera).

I bought one a few years ago, I don't know how I did night shots without before. One of the best tools you can have it you do night shots!
Christopher Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 01:51 AM   #17
TheRoadForeman
Banned

Cable release, mirror lock-up, tripod and portable flash. Those are my bread winners for the night shots. This setup is not for everyone tho, some folk like the ambient light only. I however, like to carry the Sun with me at all times. I keep (2) Nikon SB-800's and (2) SB-600's with me.

-- Kevin

Last edited by TheRoadForeman; 12-20-2008 at 01:56 AM.
Old 12-24-2008, 08:19 AM   #18
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Send a message via AIM to Chase55671 Send a message via MSN to Chase55671

First off, a tri-pod is a priority. I usually set the camera on ISO 100, F8.0 and adjust the exposure according to the light I have around me, as others have stated. As for my new SLR, I haven't had the time to really work with it enough to tell what I like best with night photography.

Chase
Click here to view my photos at Railpictures.Net
SLR Night Photography Tutorial | Railpictures.Net Beginners Guide
Chase55671 is offline   Reply With Quote