Old 07-10-2009, 04:15 AM   #1
amtrakboy

Default Poor Esthetic Quality--Why?

Guys,

I have here a night shot of the Amtrak Texas Eagle speeding across the Meramec River bridge in Kimmswick, MO. It was rejected for "Poor Esthetic Qualities," and I have not a clue why---especially considering that I have seen similar shots posted by others that made it in. Can anyone please explain, give suggestions, advice, etc? Thanks in advance!!

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=706699&key=0
amtrakboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 04:36 AM   #2
cassfan3

I don't think it got rejected for being a streak shot, but rather it just looks off. The cropping is unusually long and narrow; there are large areas of the bottom half lost in black patches, and the streaks are cut off in the top left. The coloration of the whole image looks a little strange. I don't know what the original looked like, but go back and re-process...the image could have potential.

-Nick McLean
Greenville, NC
cassfan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 05:04 AM   #3
amtrakboy

Thanks, Nick!! I'll give it a go and see what happens, or if it is rejected again, consider it part of my learning curve!!
Old 07-10-2009, 05:45 AM   #4
wab1189

I saw it also got hit for being underexposed. I would have to agree with that.

I'm wondering if you had the hole bridge in the shot (if it's possible) what it would have looked like. It's to hard to tell with image being so dark. It also looks like it wasn't quit all the way dark yet judging from the sky. You might want to try to lighten it up some but your going to have to watch the sky and not make it to bright. I'm thinking it's going to be pretty tuff with the sky being lit up as it is. You may just have to put this in the personal collection?

Anyway thats just my 2cents
wab1189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 05:56 AM   #5
John West
Senior Curmudgeon

I'm not a big streak fan, but if you want to do streaks I would find a more photogenic location, or focus in on the truss section of the bridge which is about the only part of the image that is interesting or attractive.
John West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 06:24 AM   #6
amtrakboy

Thanks guys!! I'll keep trying my hand at night shots until I get them right!!
Old 07-11-2009, 03:20 AM   #7
amtrakboy

I have here another evening shot that I wanted you guys to look at to see what you think. How may it be lacking, and where, and if it can be improved upon. It is the Amtrak Texas Eagle going through a wooded area with bluffs in the background on the left side. All suggestions, opinions, etc. appreciated!!! Thanks in advance!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Eagle21.jpg.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	187.0 KB
ID:	4393  
Old 07-11-2009, 11:53 AM   #8
wongm

Perhaps a smidge more contrast being the colours, it seems a bit 'muddy' at the moment.
wongm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 04:30 PM   #9
amtrakboy

I submitted another streak shot, but again, the "poor esthetic quality" rejection--to me the absolute toughest rejection of all the rejections to understand and overcome!! Can anyone explain to me where this photo is lacking? I am trying different locations, "twists" to the photos, etc. and am eagerly receptive to all advice, suggestions, criticisms. Thanks in advance!!

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...7&key=74421729
Old 07-11-2009, 06:43 PM   #10
jnohallman

A couple things occur to me. One is that the headlights are perhaps too prominent in the shot. If you had started your exposure when the engine was still around the curve so that you had only the streak of the headlight, rather than the strong glare, that might have improved the composition. But I also have the suspicion that the screeners may not favor "daylight" streak shots.

Jon

Click here to see my photos on RP.net!

Do not, under any circumstances whatsoever, click here. Don't even think about it. I'm warning you!
jnohallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 06:53 PM   #11
EMTRailfan

Location: I can be found railfanning the abandoned B&O Northern Sub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnohallman View Post
But I also have the suspicion that the screeners may not favor "daylight" streak shots.

Jon

Yep. It looks like you're just at that point where it is too dark for a well lit shot, and too light for a good night time shot. Can you get another train later in the night when it is actually dark? Especially at the bridge. Even night time streaks tend not to fare well here unless there is something RR related stationary in the photo.
Old 07-11-2009, 08:00 PM   #12
amtrakboy

Thanks guys!!!

BTW, if I try a streak shot later at night with more darkness, but at a location where there are lighted track signal(s) in the shot, will that be an improvement? I know of several such locations nearby where I can attempt such shots and be on public property. How about a shot where a train streaks through with crossing gates going down? Thanks in advance for all suggestions/criticisms/advice.