Old 07-19-2009, 09:23 PM   #1
wab1189

Default Did I Get It?

My wife, son, and I were out doing some fanning this morning and I tried to get a shot with my son in the photo. I was wondering what all you thought about the photo? Did I make the train to blurry? I was trying for a RP worthy shot. The train being that blurry worries me.

I really like the photo. I like that you can see my sons reflection in the window with the train.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP6872.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	4438  
wab1189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 02:00 AM   #2
Joe the Photog

It's a good idea and you're right about the reflection. I think the cloudy skies in this case kill the shot for RP. I'd say do this one again somedday soon!
Old 07-20-2009, 02:09 AM   #3
J. E. Landrum
RailPictures.Net Crew

That's a neat shot.
J. E. Landrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 02:39 AM   #4
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab1189 View Post
Did I make the train to blurry? I was trying for a RP worthy shot. The train being that blurry worries me.
Yes, I think so. The scene makes one want to connect the boy and the train but the differential in focus is too strong, too harsh, too jarring. That is my taste, don't know about RP's.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 02:45 AM   #5
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Quote:
My wife, son, and I were out doing some fanning this morning and I tried to get a shot with my son in the photo. I was wondering what all you thought about the photo? Did I make the train to blurry? I was trying for a RP worthy shot. The train being that blurry worries me.

I really like the photo. I like that you can see my sons reflection in the window with the train.
I think the out-of-focus train is part of the whole story. IF the engineer had been waving then you'd obviously want both in focus as they are then connected. Having the train out of focus makes your son the subject while the train plays a secondary role that is connected yet distant. The train goes by without paying attention to those who watch it yet we wave and acknowledge the beast anyway.

Image © Andrew Blaszczyk (2)
PhotoID: 206157
Photograph © Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Obviously, no one on the train could see my cousin waving but he went right ahead and waved anyway. It wasn't forced just as I assume your son's wave isn't.

People get sick of these types of shots when they are overdone and look "posed" or "forced". Natural human interest shots of fans and employees are timeless and should be taken anyway without RP in mind for many reasons.

I like it!

"My camera is an artistic medium, not a tool of terrorism."

www.ab2photography.com Coming soon!
My photos on RailPictures:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=960
Andrew Blaszczyk (2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 05:31 AM   #6
wab1189

Thank you everyone for the input!!

This is a shot I can easily do again. We only live about 15 to 20 minutes away from this line. (BNSF Trasncon) The train was actually in the sun. It's kinda hard to tell. It was one of those days when you have sucker holes in the clouds.

LOL There was no putting my son up to waving when the train went by.
He goes nuts everytime he sees a train and has to wave!

I should have made my self more clear when I said RP worthy. I wanted a shot of my son doing this to show him when he is older but I wanted it to be a good photo. I have tons of photos of him in the car while out fanning but none that I think are a great photo showing him and a train.

After saying all that. This was something new for me. Making the person the main focuse and the train second. I have other photo's in the DB where there are train crews in the photo. Like throwing a switch or riding on the steps of the engine. I feel like the shots I've done and the one I did here are two differnt typs of shots. I could be wrong on thinking that. Maybe I have it mixed up?

I guess what I'm trying to say is I wanted to show my son and everyone else a good photo. Ugh I have a hard time putting thoughts in to words. I hope everyone knows what I was getting at.
wab1189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 10:35 AM   #7
JRMDC

Quote:
I guess what I'm trying to say is I wanted to show my son and everyone else a good photo. Ugh I have a hard time putting thoughts in to words. I hope everyone knows what I was getting at.
That you have certainly done, all else is technical quibbles. The fundamentals are sound.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote