Old 10-13-2010, 06:39 PM   #1
AntD.

Exclamation Something Different, PEQed

Yesterday, the "Freak Show on Earth" as some of us call it traveled down to Augusta and I took this shot that was somewhat different and RP PEQed it.
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=864594&key=0

I was attempting for something similar to the following:

Image © EL ROCO Photography
PhotoID: 328388
Photograph © EL ROCO Photography

PhotoID: 326121

I thought it would be a more interesting factor that these weren't conductors, hobos (although they look like it), or your everyday passengers. These are Modern Day 'Carnies'.

Just wanted to get some opinions maybe?
AntD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 06:55 PM   #2
Freericks
Met Fan

100% personal taste, but had they been wearing shirts, it would have been a more pleasing shot.

Aside from that though, they are carnies, not RR employees, which I think makes the image less appropriate for the site. That's not to say a shot of a passenger won't work, just that it has to be more clearly reliant on railroad equipment in the shot than this one is, where the railroad equipment is just there.

Keep in mind, that all of this is my pure personal opinion, and is the same opinion that would have kept some massively viewed images out of the database had it been followed, so you may not want to follow it either.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 07:14 PM   #3
AntD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freericks View Post
100% personal taste, but had they been wearing shirts, it would have been a more pleasing shot..
I can understand where your coming from, but it's the equivalent of saying that a photo would have been more pleasing if a hobo had been wearing a suit and tie.

Quote:
Aside from that though, they are carnies, not RR employees, which I think makes the image less appropriate for the site. That's not to say a shot of a passenger won't work, just that it has to be more clearly reliant on railroad equipment in the shot than this one is, where the railroad equipment is just there.
This guy wasn't a railroad employee:

PhotoID: 331744

And I had left the Reporting Marks of the Coach they were on to indicate that it was on railroad equipment.

But, I understand this is coming from personal opinion! Thanks!
Old 10-13-2010, 07:37 PM   #4
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Send a message via AIM to Chase55671 Send a message via MSN to Chase55671

Perhaps RP gave it the PEQ because of the scene? Maybe they don't want that type of material published. It'd be sure to get a ton of views, but perhaps it attracts negative attention to the site or shines a bad light on James E. Strates? Just my opinion.

Quote:
100% personal taste, but had they been wearing shirts, it would have been a more pleasing shot.
It's just accurately representing modern day society, Charles.

Chase
Click here to view my photos at Railpictures.Net
SLR Night Photography Tutorial | Railpictures.Net Beginners Guide
Chase55671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 08:40 PM   #5
sd9

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntD. View Post

Just wanted to get some opinions maybe?
Can you try a wider crop so you can see more of the train? it's kinda hard to tell what they are hanging out of, especially with that pink amusement ride thing, which I'm wondering if that's on a flat car or something
sd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 10:14 PM   #6
AntD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase55671 View Post
Perhaps RP gave it the PEQ because of the scene? Maybe they don't want that type of material published. It'd be sure to get a ton of views, but perhaps it attracts negative attention to the site or shines a bad light on James E. Strates? Just my opinion.Chase
Chase,

How can one beer be negative attention to the site? It's not like they're smoking weed or crack, or shooting up heorin. I know of a certain photo on parent site, JetPhotos.Net where there's a topless female in the shot. Is that not negative attention? Also on the Strates Website, under the Employment Section, it does state that they are a drug free environment, but nothing about alcohol being prohibited. Actually all that is stated is, "Employees are required to report to work in appropriate mental and physical condition to perform their jobs in a satisfactory manner." And with that said, they are not operating and were more than 24 hours away from operating anything. Therefore they were not breaking any sort of rules or laws that would shine anymore bad light on JES than JES has attracted to themselves.

Last edited by AntD.; 10-13-2010 at 10:16 PM. Reason: I think that one negative beer made me spell "is" instead of "it"!
Old 10-14-2010, 12:41 AM   #7
barnstormer

Send a message via Skype™ to barnstormer

Quote:
Chase,

How can one beer be negative attention to the site? It's not like they're smoking weed or crack, or shooting up heorin. I know of a certain photo on parent site, JetPhotos.Net where there's a topless female in the shot. Is that not negative attention? Also on the Strates Website, under the Employment Section, it does state that they are a drug free environment, but nothing about alcohol being prohibited. Actually all that is stated is, "Employees are required to report to work in appropriate mental and physical condition to perform their jobs in a satisfactory manner." And with that said, they are not operating and were more than 24 hours away from operating anything. Therefore they were not breaking any sort of rules or laws that would shine anymore bad light on JES than JES has attracted to themselves.
Is this Troy junior or am I dreaming....

See my shots on Railpictures
See my shots on RRpicturearchives
barnstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 12:41 AM   #8
ME 488

I think it's a great human interest shot. To me, it's much more interesting than a lot of the conductor/random people at station shots on RP.
Old 10-14-2010, 12:53 AM   #9
nikos1

No its just Ant responding to a largely nonsensical comment.....
If RP was concerned about the image of other companies there wouldnt be any derailment shots on here now would there? Oh yeah and we shouldnt be shooting pictures of engines in faded paint, or bad track, yeah that could be some real bad PR there.
Only think I wish was that there was some of the trucks showing, but eh its a unique shot as is.
Have a beer.

Wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=7861

More wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://nikos1.rrpicturearchives.net/

Video wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's
http://youtube.com/profile?user=nikosjk1
nikos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 01:08 AM   #10
troy12n
Banned

It's hard to tell if these are carnies or hobo's catching a ride
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 01:11 AM   #11
EMTRailfan

Location: I can be found railfanning the abandoned B&O Northern Sub.

Even though the Strates web site says what you stated, I think it is the "use" of the Bud by "employees" in your photo vs. a retired Rail chilling on his balcony railfanning.
Image © Barney Rebel
PhotoID: 321096
Photograph © Barney Rebel

Wouldn't be any different than a pic of you off-duty in you CSX uniform throwing a cold one back on RP. You're not working, but...

As far as the topless girl at JP, there are more than just that one, lol.
Old 10-14-2010, 01:21 AM   #12
asis80

Send a message via AIM to asis80

Anthony,

Sorry bud (No pun intended), it's just not really appealing. Not really pleasant either. The PEQ is justified.

Ben
Old 10-14-2010, 01:27 AM   #13
Joe the Photog

It's a shot of two old white guys shirtless, one is smoking and the other is holding a beer. One is wearing flip flops. Can't tell if the train is moving, but I guess it is. I think it's just not what they're willing to publish. I had thougt about uploading this shot when the RB*BB train came through, but decided not to.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/joethep...n/photostream/

Last edited by Joe the Photog; 10-14-2010 at 01:31 AM.
Joe the Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 04:48 AM   #14
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikos1 View Post
No its just Ant responding to a largely nonsensical comment.....
If RP was concerned about the image of other companies there wouldnt be any derailment shots on here now would there? Oh yeah and we shouldnt be shooting pictures of engines in faded paint, or bad track, yeah that could be some real bad PR there.
Only think I wish was that there was some of the trucks showing, but eh its a unique shot as is.
Have a beer.
Derailments, bad track, and faded paint are all "railroad oriented" and that is obviously part of the primary subjects on RP.

I feel that Anthony's shot doesn't offer a railroad subject, but instead, a subject that reflects negative on the company of JES and the people involved. Still a form of railroad photojournalism, I guess..

Sort of like the RRPA "ass shots" posted on here a few months ago that oddly enough, received awards.

And unique, eh, I think more along the lines of "last second grab shot".

Chase
Old 10-14-2010, 05:22 AM   #15
nikos1

Image © Christopher Blaszczyk
PhotoID: 307440
Photograph © Christopher Blaszczyk

This one wasnt really appealing either.................

Wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=7861

Old 10-14-2010, 05:25 AM   #16
nikos1

PhotoID: 324321

This dude isnt too appealing either, and could cast Metrolink in a bad light, plus he is not a railroad employee.

Old 10-14-2010, 05:27 AM   #17
AntD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase55671 View Post
Derailments, bad track, and faded paint are all "railroad oriented" and that is obviously part of the primary subjects on RP.

I feel that Anthony's shot doesn't offer a railroad subject, but instead, a subject that reflects negative on the company of JES and the people involved. Still a form of railroad photojournalism, I guess..

Sort of like the RRPA "ass shots" posted on here a few months ago that oddly enough, received awards.

And unique, eh, I think more along the lines of "last second grab shot".

Chase
Chase, My Friend, Why does it seem to me that everybody's shot to you is a "last second grab shot" and if you noticed my original post stated that I was going for something like the examples given then you would've known that it was a pre-planned, thought out shot. It just so happened that they wanted their photo taken anyways.

And if JES was so concerned about being looked at in a negative way then they wouldn't hire 99.9% of the clowns that are on the train.

AND YES, I'm positive that if this shot had gotten on it would've gotten a good amount of views...so obviously it would be appealing somewhere, somehow...

And the Ringworm shot....remember that? How was that appealing?

I'm not going to sit here and bitch & moan about this shot anymore because obiviously this shot isn't going to get on.

But, I'm just stating the facts to back the shot up....
Old 10-14-2010, 05:29 AM   #18
AntD.

Or Maybe I should have asked where the Bearded Lady was so I could have included her in the shot as well...I'm sure that would be even more appealing!
Old 10-14-2010, 05:35 AM   #19
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Quote:
Chase, My Friend, Why does it seem to me that everybody's shot to you is a "last second grab shot" and if you noticed my original post stated that I was going for something like the examples given then you would've known that it was a pre-planned, thought out shot. It just so happened that they wanted their photo taken anyways.

And if JES was so concerned about being looked at in a negative way then they wouldn't hire 99.9% of the clowns that are on the train.

AND YES, I'm positive that if this shot had gotten on it would've gotten a good amount of views...so obviously it would be appealing somewhere, somehow...

And the Ringworm shot....remember that? How was that appealing?

I'm not going to sit here and bitch & moan about this shot anymore because obiviously this shot isn't going to get on.

But, I'm just stating the facts to back the shot up....
Anthony,

I understand it was planned, but to others, and possibly the RP team, it may appear as a "grab" shot. I'm not saying I'm right, I'm just throwing out possible ideas to better understand the PEQ.

I don't think the photo would necessarily appeal to viewers, but instead, make them curious as to what the heck is going on. Shirtless men enjoying a Budweiser wouldn't stand out as an appealing photo as much as a "what the heck" kind the photo.

I definitely think you did a good job (in terms of capturing the scene, composition, crop, etc. are all good), I just don't think it's an RP winner. Of course, I'm just expressing my opinion, which is quite possibly 100% wrong.

Chase
Old 10-14-2010, 06:17 AM   #20
Holloran Grade
Banned

Wink The "Freak Show on Earth[.]"

Quote:
Or Maybe I should have asked where the Bearded Lady was so I could have included her in the shot as well...I'm sure that would be even more appealing!
I think your statement: "Freak Show on Earth" is what scared them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd9 View Post
Can you try a wider crop so you can see more of the train? it's kinda hard to tell what they are hanging out of, especially with that pink amusement ride thing, which I'm wondering if that's on a flat car or something
I would agree with this. In your image it is hard to tell if that is a RR car or what.

I like the shirtless, toothless look, but you need to make it real obvious that they are on the train.

Also for this Site the train needs to be the main subject - generally.

Just for some background, here are some other shots that I like from Fullerton that I did not submit to RP.Net.

No train, no track, no life.
El Borrachon

Too little train - see the car number over Rob's right shoulder?
"Rob" - View I

Cloudy day and common power. I really wish this one were better cause I think I could get it in.
Fullerton Foamers - A Group Photo

And here are a few PEQ rejects.

This one should get in cause it is set up just like the others - but they just don't like that lady I guess, or perhaps the way she is holding the telephone receiver is "too suggestive.".
Callin in the Stop

Last edited by Holloran Grade; 10-14-2010 at 06:43 AM.
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 06:18 AM   #21
Holloran Grade
Banned

Lightbulb Continued

This was booted I assume because it shows subject engaging in potentially hazardous behavior - sitting on railroad tracks.
Railfan'in in Style

Cloudy day, common power and common subject - too much Bruce.
Train Master Bruce at Fullerton

Image too racy for the Site - shows at risk youth standing too close to train tracks, possibly contemplating suicide, vandalism of signaling equipment or terrorist acts.
Rail Photogs

This one was booted I suppose because chicks in athletic shoes and prairie dresses are not sexy enough for RP.Net - apparently you need more skin showing and/or a canoe.
Why You should Always Chose your Shoes Carefully

So see, not everything gets in, but this did!

PhotoID: 328390
LOL!

Last edited by Holloran Grade; 10-14-2010 at 06:41 AM.
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 12:09 PM   #22
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holloran Grade View Post
This one was booted I suppose because chicks in athletic shoes and prairie dresses are not sexy enough for RP.Net - apparently you need more skin showing and/or a canoe.
awesome...
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 01:58 PM   #23
EMTRailfan

Location: I can be found railfanning the abandoned B&O Northern Sub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holloran Grade
Removed your text
-The Metrolink girl: is there more of her?
-The Amtrak/railfan kids: other than the fact of going away, lighting, and "subject cut off/cropping", I would like it.
-The Amish/Mennonite photo is a nice photo. Railroady enough, I don't know. Maybe a sign with the station name on it or more train in the B/G would help on that end.
Old 10-14-2010, 02:15 PM   #24
travsirocz

Send a message via AIM to travsirocz

My take. It isn't how the guys look or lack of shirts or even the Bud, it is a combination of things. It looks like they are on a ship. The comment field is nice but the photo should speak for itself a little better. The composition blows. The other issue is that they are kinda taunting the camera and putting on a show that just isn't very appealing.

Amtrak equipment is well known so tight crops work much better.

Photographing people in less then appealing ways on RP can make it into the database if a train is somewhat captured well and goes with the scene.

A wider crop or better angle and composition with guys not putting on a show for you would work much better.

It does look like a grab shot because the angle and composition are very weak.
travsirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 04:53 PM   #25
bigbassloyd

Let's just let every shot onto RP, because everyone derserves it!

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
peq fair train