Old 07-08-2012, 05:07 PM   #1
loomus78

Default From PEQ, to unlevel and comp issue

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...29&key=6863978

Originally rejected for PEQ, and by trying a different time I got this. The signal itself is a little off kilter and I shot it at 18 and leaves some wide angle distortion. The composition, I dunno, using the signal itself I think should have taken care of that. The lit up fog/mist pretty much takes up the lower left third. Attached is the only thing that may balance it a bit more bit takes away from the signal.

I was trying for something different and document the signals other than the usual photos taken from Shen. What do you all think? Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Jon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8843-4.jpg (620.1 KB, 88 views)
Milepost 105.00

Last edited by loomus78; 07-08-2012 at 05:14 PM.
loomus78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 05:45 PM   #2
Coloradorailfan

Send a message via AIM to Coloradorailfan Send a message via Yahoo to Coloradorailfan Send a message via Skype™ to Coloradorailfan

Needs to be cropped tighter to bring out your subject (signal), and also needs some CCW rotation.

My RailPictures Photos

My Flickr

"The camera doesn't make the photographer, it's the person behind the viewfinder."

- John Crisanti
Coloradorailfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:58 PM   #3
loomus78

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...71&key=4808586

leveled and tried it the alternative way and same thing.
Milepost 105.00
Old 07-08-2012, 08:41 PM   #4
JRMDC

I think this is one to set aside. For one, here the railhead position is a detriment, for example, the distant light having no rails to reflect off. The blob of ballast is accentuated, and partially obscures the distant signal. There is no feel of a train about to emerge out of a tunnel or from around a curve, instead it is just a blob of light, apparently about to emerge from behind a more distant blob of ballast.

The middle of the shot is rather empty and the signal seems too close to the right edge, the eye heads off the frame, out of the image.

Maybe next time go down the track to the right, over the right shoulder of the photographer, and reduce the angle between the nearby and distant signals some.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:16 PM   #5
loomus78

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
I think this is one to set aside. For one, here the railhead position is a detriment, for example, the distant light having no rails to reflect off. The blob of ballast is accentuated, and partially obscures the distant signal. There is no feel of a train about to emerge out of a tunnel or from around a curve, instead it is just a blob of light, apparently about to emerge from behind a more distant blob of ballast.

The middle of the shot is rather empty and the signal seems too close to the right edge, the eye heads off the frame, out of the image.

Maybe next time go down the track to the right, over the right shoulder of the photographer, and reduce the angle between the nearby and distant signals some.
I appreciate the comment Januz. It wasn't meant to give the feeling of something "emerging" out of anywhere. Rather of a train waiting on another and giving the sense of how the railroad is run in this stretch. The rails themselves I admit are a bit lower in the frame as one might expect but if all you wish to see is plain ballast and nothing more, well ok then. To me it didn't and still doesn't look right.

I thought about moving but using the spotlight would have given me head on glare from the Shen Jct sign and involve almost standing in the gauge. I've submitted once more just to try something. To me it is far different than the normal stuff you see from this location.
Milepost 105.00
Old 07-09-2012, 02:09 AM   #6
Dennis A. Livesey

The "lit" look removes all mystery and thus the image is just a disconnected jumble of elements. There is no reason to look at this image, nothing to tie all the elements together.

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 02:41 AM   #7
loomus78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis A. Livesey View Post
The "lit" look removes all mystery and thus the image is just a disconnected jumble of elements. There is no reason to look at this image, nothing to tie all the elements together.
Thanks Dennis, I think I did an alright job and happy with it but with these comments in mind, perhaps try something different to make it perhaps more intensive. I went out to document the signal and with this I did so. I won't take your criticism and run with it to mommy and cry about it like some persons do.
Thanks again
Milepost 105.00
Old 07-09-2012, 04:10 AM   #8
Dennis A. Livesey

Jon

You should see some of the comments my personal favorite stuff has gotten here. We all have to man up one time or another.

The basic question we all have to answer is "What am I trying to say with this picture? Why should anyone look at this this?" You have to give them a reason.

With the image you posted if the bright front light was not there and it was all black, there might be some mystery, some wonder of what is going on. (See the stuff Lloyd Lowery has done for example.) As it is, we see everything and it is not interesting.

If a cool train was blasting through in your bright light or someone or something besides trees was there then you would have a shot that we want to look at.

Maybe some curmudgeon Troy is rubbing off on me...Apologies Jon.

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote