Old 07-16-2013, 11:54 AM   #1
Sean Mathews

Default Scratching my head.....

So this apparently is not the type of photo they are interested in, or is not aesthetically pleasing. I beg to differ, as it brings a personal level to the world of driving hot dirty trains in the summer.

Of course, had this been a photo of a guy welding a barely visable boiler, I would have been good to go. I guess there wasn't enough sparkly stuff in the photo, and if it is going to be of a human, there can't be evidence of a train in the photo as in photo 443429. Best regards to David, as his photo was very good and totally deserving of being accepted. I am just not understanding the difference in what makes one publishable material and one not.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...72&key=4357013

Last edited by Sean Mathews; 07-16-2013 at 12:11 PM.
Sean Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 03:08 PM   #2
JRMDC

Photography is subjective. Drinking water is of interest to some, not others. How about if he were eating a granola bar? Relieving himself? Different people will draw the line at different places, for that matter different screeners will also. It's just a website, with its own set of preferences.

As a general suggestion, I personally would like to see the shadows lightened a bit, see a bit of detail inside the cab.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 03:47 PM   #3
Sean Mathews

That can be done....

Agreed on the subjective part. And I would further agree if it were an ordinary plastic bottle. However, the guy played the part, and went allout in 1930s style, including thw water which I thought was cool.
Old 07-18-2013, 03:05 AM   #4
Mgoldman

First impression - didn't love it but didn't dislike it either.

The image reminds me of images taken by another RP submitter who had taken a series of similar images and put them into a collection where they really came to life. And, in that context, I can then appreciate each on it's own much more.

I'd like to see this accepted - it's "real" and it's not the same old same old.

I'd suggest you crop wider so as not to cut of the "9" in "90" and take J's advice and show some more detail in the shadows. If possible, maybe more "texture" in the image overall through some subdued HDR techniques but not so much it's obvious nor introduces too much noise.

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 01:27 PM   #5
Sean Mathews

I will work on that. I can definately bring out the shadows in LR5, and make it "pop" a little more. I like this photo too much to give up. I mean, if a photo of a bundle of steel ties can make it in, surely there is a place for this.