Old 07-29-2013, 09:07 AM   #101
jdirelan87
Senior Member
 
jdirelan87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Metro DC
Posts: 725
Default

Some constructive criticism for MagnumForce;

I wouldn't call any of those photos sharp, in particular the first and third ones. I can pretty easily tell they were taken with a cheap lens at a wide open F stop. By the standards I set for my own photography, I wouldn't call any of those keepers. But again, I'm a real stickler for image quality. To each there own.

Also, I don't know the particulars of your camera, but I would "sacrifice" ISO to maintain f/8 with a kit lens, no questions asked. Even my first DSLR in 2006 was respectable up to ISO 800 and anything built in the last four years is light years beyond that.

Last edited by jdirelan87; 07-29-2013 at 09:18 AM.
jdirelan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:52 AM   #102
troy12n
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 5,333
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdirelan87 View Post
Some constructive criticism for MagnumForce;

I wouldn't call any of those photos sharp, in particular the first and third ones. I can pretty easily tell they were taken with a cheap lens at a wide open F stop. By the standards I set for my own photography, I wouldn't call any of those keepers. But again, I'm a real stickler for image quality. To each there own.

Exactly right, if that's the best that camera can do, you can keep your olympus junk there buddy...

Quote:
Also, I don't know the particulars of your camera, but I would "sacrifice" ISO to maintain f/8 with a kit lens, no questions asked. Even my first DSLR in 2006 was respectable up to ISO 800 and anything built in the last four years is light years beyond that.
Yep, I know nothing about his gear too, but when he mentioned 4/3, I knew it had to be some pseudo P&S. That format seems to pack a hi megapixel sensor into a small package just to be small

Last edited by troy12n; 07-29-2013 at 10:55 AM.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 01:29 PM   #103
MagnumForce
Senior Member
 
MagnumForce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 602
Default

4/3 is not pseudo p&s, micro4/3 maybe. Look up the Olympus E3. There is no crop factor and my camera is larger than a nikon d90. What snobbish attitudes. I think it's totally fine from a five year old camera with kit glass. If I had the money I would get some good glass. But my point is it is stupid to simply not do the shot. If it is between not taking the shot or opening up my lens I will open it up every time. I sell plenty of shots and that is good enough for me.
__________________
-Brent Kneebush
Defiance, Ohio

Last edited by MagnumForce; 07-29-2013 at 01:55 PM.
MagnumForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:31 PM   #104
JMC
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Youngstown, Ohio
Posts: 168
Default

Snobbish people on here? Never!
JMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:49 PM   #105
troy12n
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 5,333
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumForce View Post
4/3 is not pseudo p&s, micro4/3 maybe. Look up the Olympus E3. There is no crop factor and my camera is larger than a nikon d90. What snobbish attitudes. I think it's totally fine from a five year old camera with kit glass. If I had the money I would get some good glass. But my point is it is stupid to simply not do the shot. If it is between not taking the shot or opening up my lens I will open it up every time. I sell plenty of shots and that is good enough for me.
Come on now, if it's not a Canon or Nikon, it might as well be a point and shoot, right? (excluding MFF/LFF and Leica )
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 03:46 PM   #106
bigbassloyd
Senior Member
 
bigbassloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Hilldale, West Virginia
Posts: 3,859
Default

I have cheap equipment, but I know how to use it

Loyd L.
__________________
Those who seek glory, must also seek infamy.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 04:11 PM   #107
MagnumForce
Senior Member
 
MagnumForce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 602
Default

Leica is also a 4/3 sensor.
__________________
-Brent Kneebush
Defiance, Ohio
MagnumForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 05:27 PM   #108
Joe the Photog
Senior Member
 
Joe the Photog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 7,909
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
Come on now, if it's not a Canon or Nikon, it might as well be a point and shoot, right?
I might take out the "or Nikon" in that post.

__________________
Joe the Photog Dot Com
Joe the Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:01 PM   #109
Elitewolf135
Member
 
Elitewolf135's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 87
Default

Nikon isn't bad. To be honest, Nikon and Canon are too head-to-head to say one is worse than the other.
But that's just my two cents.
__________________
Skype - HyenaCreations | Email - huskynet@yahoo.com | RailPictures Profile
Elitewolf135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:01 PM   #110
Hatchetman
Part-Time Railfan
 
Hatchetman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,381
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumForce View Post
Leica is also a 4/3 sensor.
Their "flagship" M9 is not.
__________________
Now with Flickr!
Hatchetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:22 PM   #111
Joe the Photog
Senior Member
 
Joe the Photog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 7,909
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elitewolf135 View Post
Nikon isn't bad. To be honest, Nikon and Canon are too head-to-head to say one is worse than the other.
But that's just my two cents.
I actually agree, but also couldn't resist the urge to get a dig in.

__________________
Joe the Photog Dot Com
Joe the Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:11 PM   #112
troy12n
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 5,333
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumForce View Post
Leica is also a 4/3 sensor.
Everyone has one today, including Canon and Nikon. It's the current fashionable fad. Wouldnt be surprised if it went the way of the Kodak DISC cameras. Leica's premier product is not a 4/3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
I might take out the "or Nikon" in that post.

I put Nikon in there to give the poor souls on here who are forced to use their inferior product the benefit of the doubt

We all know if they were thinking straight the day they bought their gear they would have sided with the white lens crew!

Last edited by troy12n; 07-29-2013 at 08:15 PM.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:25 PM   #113
JRMDC
Senior Member
 
JRMDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 11,202
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumForce View Post
Leica is also a 4/3 sensor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
Everyone has one today, including Canon and Nikon.
To my knowledge Canon does not have a 4/3 sensor product that meets the 4/3 spec which allows for interchange of bodies and lenses. The EOS M has an APS-C sized sensor and takes lenses with an EF-M mount; an adapter allows for the use of EF and EF-S lenses. The G1 X does have a sensor slightly larger than 4/3, but its lens is not interchangeable.
__________________
My RP pix are here.
My Flickr pix are here.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 02:15 AM   #114
MagnumForce
Senior Member
 
MagnumForce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 602
Default

Neither Nikon nor Canon has ever used a 4:3 sensor.
__________________
-Brent Kneebush
Defiance, Ohio
MagnumForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.