Old 10-28-2006, 11:36 AM   #1
bigiron

Default Horizon unlevel ,,,is it really?

Hello,

Well been away from submitting for some time with a career change but still see some shots baffle me as to what the screeners are looking for . The latest shot I sent in was rejected due to "horizon unlevel " and my question to all of you is what can I do to make it correct in the eyes of the screeners when the shot was taken from above and to the side (bridge overpass)? I have the trees, signal posts and poles are level as they would be seen from the overpass.

At the time the sun was perfect to light the nose and the side of the train and mix in the fall foliage and a few RR props too that you can see are level in their roles. I'd like to share some of my photos that viewers may want to see but am baffled on how to fix this photo.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=301335

Thanks for you input, Rich Clark
bigiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 12:01 PM   #2
Callufrax
?

Location: Nth. Strathfield, Main Northern, CityRail - Sydney, NSW, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigiron
Hello,

Well been away from submitting for some time with a career change but still see some shots baffle me as to what the screeners are looking for . The latest shot I sent in was rejected due to "horizon unlevel " and my question to all of you is what can I do to make it correct in the eyes of the screeners when the shot was taken from above and to the side (bridge overpass)? I have the trees, signal posts and poles are level as they would be seen from the overpass.

At the time the sun was perfect to light the nose and the side of the train and mix in the fall foliage and a few RR props too that you can see are level in their roles. I'd like to share some of my photos that viewers may want to see but am baffled on how to fix this photo.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=301335

Thanks for you input, Rich Clark
To me, it looks ok. The signal is as perpendicular as you can get it, which is a good indication that the horizon would also be level (it there were one). So, myself, I'm quite baffled - unless it were rejected in error (or incorrect rejection type).

I'd say appeal.
Old 10-28-2006, 12:19 PM   #3
dodi4200

Send a message via Yahoo to dodi4200

Nice shot Rich.I can see it leveled as the signal is leveled and the cars of the train too but the three engines arenot leveled and this is normal as the train over aswitch and there are alot of switchs that trains leaning to the right or left over them.I'd say try to appeal it explaining that the train over aswitch.
(if you like an idea,thought alot in it and worked hard for it.you will get it)
click here 2 c my pix @ rp.net
dodi4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 01:38 PM   #4
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

It was taken with a wide angle therefore objects closer to the edges of the photo cannot be used as a leveling device. I would use something more towards the middle of the photo such as the back of the lead unit. In the reject the train looks to be going down a serious grade, and even if it was this is not a good way to show it, as it just looks unlevel. I just went back and re-read the original post and noticed the part about the switch. Since it would be taking the switch to the left it should look like it was actually going "up grade" not down.That's my input, hope it helped a bit. Like Joe always says, "I'm just a guy at a computer" thats just my two cents. LOL I have attached a corrected version.

In PS I also decreased the hue -3 or 5 (It was like two seconds ago and I can't remember!), increased the saturation +10, and lowered the brightness -3. I think this makes it more of a "Fall" shot. The original version was a it too bright to show off the colors. Good luck!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HLCX8165.jpg (310.4 KB, 177 views)

"My camera is an artistic medium, not a tool of terrorism."

www.ab2photography.com Coming soon!
My photos on RailPictures:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=960
Andrew Blaszczyk (2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 03:03 PM   #5
CG_F45

Man, thats a nice shot! I think Andrew's edit would get accepted...sure hope it does!

My photos at RailPictures.Net
CG_F45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 04:04 PM   #6
alan-crotty

Default Not Level?

Hi Rich,

I see your problem, looking down has made the perspective a bit odd. As already stated the signal is pretty much upright, however that leaves the loco looking a bit odd.

I used the distort tool in PS to adjust the perspective. Use this and not the perspective tool as it allows "perspective" changes on one side of pic only.

Then I applied Andrews tweaks and it look quite good.

Alan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RichPic.jpg (352.7 KB, 184 views)
alan-crotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 09:05 PM   #7
Dave Brook

I would expect that either of the adjusted versions would go in. I was thinking of rotating about 2 degrees CCW.

Cheers
Dave Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 01:43 PM   #8
busyEMT

and there you go...
Image © Rich Clark
PhotoID: 163361
Photograph © Rich Clark

Don't do anything you wouldn't want to explain to the paramedics!
busyEMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 05:10 PM   #9
Warren

Send a message via MSN to Warren

I used to think that these "reject" threads were a waste of time and just a way to get back at the screeners.

Lately however these threads have been done with class, and the help that the different photographers have received from their fellow photographers to get these great photos approved has been fun to see. Thanks guys!
Warren is offline   Reply With Quote