Old 09-20-2011, 03:03 PM   #1
JRMDC

Default PSE 10 is here

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1109/11...elements10.asp

I don't see much new here. But then, I upgraded from PSE 3 to PSE 9 not that long ago and so small incremental improvements don't really move me. When PSE 15 comes out, let me know!

There is a shallow depth of field tool of some sort.

I get the sense that the most important improvement fall in the general category of image creation - combining stuff, adding text, formatting, etc. - rather than image processing. Not too much more they could do for the latter, I suppose, other than add curves, or other things that now separate PS Elements from the expensive PS. Oh, and there are more social media connections; those don't interest me much.

J

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:01 PM   #2
sd9

Hey J, Since I use ArcSoft PhotoStudio I'm not up on the Adobe stuff, but I got this e-mail on Adobe Photoshop lightroom, what's the difference between that and Photoshop Elements 10?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/AD...t/AD125794/N/0

Bill
sd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:39 PM   #3
JRMDC

Lightroom is different. PSE is a junior PS, same concept, fewer features. Lightroom is photo processing with significant image management capabilities, or vice versa. I don't have much of a sense of the differences in capabilities between Lightroom and PS. I suspect that, for one, the former does not have the graphical abilities of the latter. I think one thing about PS is that you can do so much in terms of constructing images (adding text, collages, etc.) whereas I think Lightroom is more of a pure process the image software.

Except that, it occurs to me PSE does have image management, the "organizer" (which I don't use), whereas PS, I believe!, does not.

So I can't fully answer your question. I haven't used Lightroom. I was tempted at one time but even the discounted price was not worth it; it wasn't clear that I had a use for the additional things it could do.

Kevin Madore is familiar with Lightroom.

J

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 10-05-2011, 04:24 PM   #4
KevinM

J is correct. I have both Lightroom 3.5 and PSE 6. I process everything using Lightroom, but still use PSE 6 when it has a needed capability that Lightroom does not.

Lightroom is really tailored for mass processing of raw files. It allows rapid review of all images, selection of favorites and quick application of non-destructive adjustments to make the images presentable. Lightroom makes batch processing easy. I love Lightroom because I can easily back out adjustments and add others. It also allows me to easily apply the same adjustments to a range of images, or copy a set of adjustments from one image and apply them to others. I especially like the Toning Curve that allows adjustments to various ranges of tones (highlights, lights, darks, shadows, etc). It is probably a "training wheels" version of the Curves feature in PS.

Where Lightroom is not so strong is in the area of detailed image editing....meaning digital manipulation. The healing and cloning tools in Lightroom are not nearly as capable as they are in PSE and PS. If you are looking to branch out from pure photography into artful manipulation, Lightroom is probably not the space in which to do it.

If you shoot a lot of pictures and want to be able to rapidly postprocess them with standard adjustments (exposure, recovery, blacks, brightness, contrast, saturation, clarity, vibrance, sharpening, etc.) and output collections to slide shows, websites etc., then Lightroom is for you. If you do a lot of more detailed manipulation, or you're into arty effects on a smaller number of images, PSE is probably the better tool.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Albums from Steam Railroads all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 01:40 AM   #5
nssd70

I just upgraded from Elements 8 to Elements 10 and was wondering if anyone knows if 10 has the pop up box that lets you sharpen using a slide bar. All that I've found is hitting the apply button to sharpen.

Doug
nssd70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 03:01 AM   #6
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by nssd70 View Post
I just upgraded from Elements 8 to Elements 10 and was wondering if anyone knows if 10 has the pop up box that lets you sharpen using a slide bar. All that I've found is hitting the apply button to sharpen.

Doug
In PSE9 one can do Enhance > Adjust Sharpness or one can Enhance > Unsharp Mask. The former was new to me, having upgraded from PSE3. Maybe that was new to PSE9 and wasn't in PSE8?

Both of those options have at least two sliders so if you are thinking of a single slider I don't know about it.

As a matter of fact, I can no longer see the one-click stuff (Sharpen, Sharpen More, whatever the labels were) that I vaguely recall in PSE3. I always use an adjustable form of sharpening.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 10-08-2011, 06:18 AM   #7
sd9

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
J is correct. I have both Lightroom 3.5 and PSE 6. I process everything using Lightroom, but still use PSE 6 when it has a needed capability that Lightroom does not.

Lightroom is really tailored for mass processing of raw files. It allows rapid review of all images, selection of favorites and quick application of non-destructive adjustments to make the images presentable. Lightroom makes batch processing easy. I love Lightroom because I can easily back out adjustments and add others. It also allows me to easily apply the same adjustments to a range of images, or copy a set of adjustments from one image and apply them to others. I especially like the Toning Curve that allows adjustments to various ranges of tones (highlights, lights, darks, shadows, etc). It is probably a "training wheels" version of the Curves feature in PS.

Where Lightroom is not so strong is in the area of detailed image editing....meaning digital manipulation. The healing and cloning tools in Lightroom are not nearly as capable as they are in PSE and PS. If you are looking to branch out from pure photography into artful manipulation, Lightroom is probably not the space in which to do it.

If you shoot a lot of pictures and want to be able to rapidly postprocess them with standard adjustments (exposure, recovery, blacks, brightness, contrast, saturation, clarity, vibrance, sharpening, etc.) and output collections to slide shows, websites etc., then Lightroom is for you. If you do a lot of more detailed manipulation, or you're into arty effects on a smaller number of images, PSE is probably the better tool.
Thanks Kevin, that clears it up a little, it seems like a lot of these image editing software programs overlap each other, you would think they would make it a little simpler
sd9 is offline   Reply With Quote