Old 09-13-2009, 03:43 AM   #1
Paolo Roffo

Default Live steam photos in database?

Some time ago there was a thread here concerning photos of live steam locomotives being submitted. Was a conclusion ever reached about whether or not that would fly? I'm tempted to upload the attached, but I'm afraid they'd just drop the PEQ hammer so I thought I'd inquire here first.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2606.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	379.5 KB
ID:	4644
Old 09-13-2009, 03:56 PM   #2
cblaz

Nice shot, Paolo. However, I think the bar is set at amusement park steam engines, like Six Flags or Disneyland, as the smallest accepted here. Once you start accepting live steam, then you move closer to model railroad shots being submitted.

- Chris
Old 09-13-2009, 04:01 PM   #3
Freericks
Met Fan

And Chris, correct me if I'm wrong, but those amusement park engines like you describe need to either be former real working railroad stock, or be manufactured in the same manner (like #1 and #2 at Disneyland).

The Portland Zoo railroad isn't repped here, and if it was just amusement park and size, that one would actually fit the bill (it's not your normal park train, but a pretty heavyweight operation). Still, it's all a manufactured ride... (I think... now I'm wondering if they do have any real equipment... hmmm....).

Anyway, Paolo, from my viewing of the data base, and to echo Chris, that's the line.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 04:27 PM   #4
coborn35

I do like the shot however.
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
coborn35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 05:55 PM   #5
Paolo Roffo

Thank you gents. While it would have been nice to get a definite answer from one of the Chrisses, at least I have an answer one way or the other.

Of course, I can still use the pic (and the rest of the bunch) to have some fun messing with people on Trainorders. The engine does, after all, bear the number 1361.
Old 09-13-2009, 07:11 PM   #6
Slopes09

Send a message via AIM to Slopes09

Image © Mike Walsh
PhotoID: 202744
Photograph © Mike Walsh

I also remember seeing at least one more in the database somewhere but I can't find it at the moment.

Pretty much the only Pentax Shooter.

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!
Slopes09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 07:18 PM   #7
Walter S

Send a message via AIM to Walter S

I think that the live steam that you linked to Mike would be more acceptable that what Paul has. Pauls looks like a G-scale live steamer, whereas you can actually ride on the one you posted.
Old 09-13-2009, 11:35 PM   #8
DelmonteX

uhh, Paolo, why not just submit the photo and see what happens?

My Railpictures.net photos

My other photos
DelmonteX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 11:41 PM   #9
Darryl Rule

Either way, cool shot Paolo! I like it alot!
Old 09-14-2009, 01:12 AM   #10
Paolo Roffo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter S View Post
I think that the live steam that you linked to Mike would be more acceptable that what Paul has. Pauls looks like a G-scale live steamer, whereas you can actually ride on the one you posted.
Aha Walter, but they're the same scale! The above photo is from Finger Lakes Live Steamers in New York, which has the same 1.5" scale, 7.25" gauge track as Waushakum Live Steamers, where I took the K4 photo. Key difference being the above photo shows an engine on a steaming bay prior to (or maybe after) a run, whereas I got down low enough to shoot the K4 on the ground during a water stop. The shot I attached here should give a better size comparison.

But what the hell, maybe I'll submit it after work tomorrow anyway and see what happens.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2741.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	380.4 KB
ID:	4647  
Old 09-14-2009, 01:53 AM   #11
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paolo Roffo View Post
But what the hell, maybe I'll submit it after work tomorrow anyway and see what happens.
Not a fan of whatever those brown blobs are that surround the plume. And in general it seems waaay too tight all around.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 01:53 AM   #12
Walter S

Send a message via AIM to Walter S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paolo Roffo View Post
Aha Walter, but they're the same scale! The above photo is from Finger Lakes Live Steamers in New York, which has the same 1.5" scale, 7.25" gauge track as Waushakum Live Steamers, where I took the K4 photo. Key difference being the above photo shows an engine on a steaming bay prior to (or maybe after) a run, whereas I got down low enough to shoot the K4 on the ground during a water stop. The shot I attached here should give a better size comparison.

Dang, I would have never guessed. It looks so small in the photo you posted, the surroundings got me.
Old 09-14-2009, 03:08 AM   #13
Dennis A. Livesey

It's all about how good it is as a photo. If it shows Grandma in a creative way with a hickory stripe hat it will get in.
Not a fan of the brown blobs either. They look weird and take away from the picture.
Nice try at night though. I think live steam well done certainly a place here. Try again!

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 06:03 PM   #14
matt

I have submitted a 7 1/4 gauge photo before and it was rejected for not being a photo we want to publish (or similar, can't remember the exact phrase)

To see my other photos take a look here
http://mattspencer.fotopic.net
matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 08:04 PM   #15
Freericks
Met Fan

I always agree with Dennis' advice, except this time. I believe the two images in the data base of scale models (or live steamers) are anomoles.

I think if this were not true, there would be quite a few more.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 11:21 PM   #16
Dennis A. Livesey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freericks View Post
I always agree with Dennis' advice, except this time. I believe the two images in the data base of scale models (or live steamers) are anomalies.

I think if this were not true, there would be quite a few more.
Charles

Thanks for the kind words!

I must admit I was in an unusual mood last night and probably was not very articulate.

I have noticed the lack of miniature steam here and figured the admins wanted it that way. Since I don't have any good shots of miniature steam to submit, it has not been an issue for me personally.

However, I stand by what I said before. Just let me try to say it a little better.

If you make a shot that is so irresistible, has such eye candy and has a railroad theme, I don't think the two Chris's could possibly pass it up.

For miniature steam, it will be harder but I think doable.

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote