Old 08-27-2013, 09:44 AM   #1
seank97

Default Lost and in need of guidance

I don't normally seek advice here on a pic (or two) that get rejected but, I have submitted/resubmitted numerous versions of the below pics and still have nothing but "Bad Cropping" as the excuse. So I humbly submit the following to see what "the crew" has to offer here.

I took these in what I have generally seen accepted here as full sunlight, low from late afternoon, sharp focus yadda yadda. I have submitted close-up's, cropped high and tight, wider, wider etc.

I have seen as recent as yesterday numerous similar style shots admitted here with similar angles/cropping/lighting. So what have I missed?
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...03&key=6055331
Old 08-27-2013, 09:48 AM   #2
seank97

Default Same story here

Been in/out and all over creation, same response though, "Bad Cropping". Been in tight, slightly differing versions of the same thing with the locomotive and coal hopper almost parallel, further apart distance wise, wide with more landscape around the pic, tighter, you get the picture.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...05&key=6404934
Old 08-27-2013, 10:51 AM   #3
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by seank97 View Post
I don't normally seek advice here on a pic (or two) that get rejected but, I have submitted/resubmitted numerous versions of the below pics and still have nothing but "Bad Cropping" as the excuse. So I humbly submit the following to see what "the crew" has to offer here.
It's a valid rejection, not an excuse. See, RP generally (and genuinely) wants to accept as many shots as they can. Sure, they look for reasons to reject them, but that's what you do with a screening process. Some pictures are canned with no possible hope of getting in. But a Bad Ccropping reject is not one of those cases.
Quote:
I took these in what I have generally seen accepted here as full sunlight, low from late afternoon, sharp focus yadda yadda. I have submitted close-up's, cropped high and tight, wider, wider etc.

I have seen as recent as yesterday numerous similar style shots admitted here with similar angles/cropping/lighting. So what have I missed?
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...03&key=6055331
What you have missed is that in this shot the nose of the train is in the dead center of the photograph. Truth is you probably have not seen "numerous similiar style shots admitted." If you have, they probably have should have been rejected, too. Crop so the nose of the INT unit is closer to the left side of the frame. If you have the shot as it came out of the camera, please post it here (to the forum, not the web site) and let us see what you are working with.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:55 AM   #4
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
If you have the shot as it came out of the camera, please post it here (to the forum, not the web site) and let us see what you are working with.
This. Show us what you have to work with. However, the real issue might be with how you composed the shot to begin with, so it's possible no crop can make it look appealing.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 03:33 PM   #5
seank97

I will post the originals when I get home tonight, I appreciate the input. In both cases the original submissions were in fact as you suggested, nose to the left. I was figuring from the initial rejection of "Bad Cropping" it was due to being to tight in but still to the left. You'll see. My originals are actually quite pulled back so I could in fact crop them accordingly. Thanks for the guidance, really!

fyi, my Avatar photo is the original cropped image...
Old 08-27-2013, 04:50 PM   #6
CSX1702

Is that train on the CSX B&O?

Flickr

Out Of Place Album
CSX1702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:03 PM   #7
Insert_Name_Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSX1702 View Post

Yes. The interstate has ran on CSX rails under the K040/K041 ID's in the recent past.

Image © WMHeilman
PhotoID: 443350
Photograph © WMHeilman
Old 08-27-2013, 08:25 PM   #8
CSX1702

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insert_Name_Here View Post
Yes. The interstate has ran on CSX rails under the K040/K041 ID's in the recent past.

Image © WMHeilman
PhotoID: 443350
Photograph © WMHeilman
Hmm. Didn't know that. Just thought it was weird with the NS line so close. Lol

Flickr

Out Of Place Album
CSX1702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:31 PM   #9
Cjbdiesel

Very crisp and clear photos with great sun. My big issues with them are:

Centered object
Horrible tilt
Bad Color
And yes, The cropping.

To give you an idea of what I'd think MAYBE possible to work with, here's your CSX shot. Ignore the pink, grainy clouds.

Old 08-27-2013, 11:36 PM   #10
seank97

Here are the originals:

And fwiw, I actually DID submit the original as you have suggested above.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:39 PM   #11
seank97

As a matter of fact, I have submitted 3 versions of each from the original series, all were originally submitted cropped with loco off-center as suggested, again slightly tighter and still left of center and as suggested above, all knocked for same said reason. Interesting that drastically different versions of the same picture(s) gets same results.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:42 PM   #12
seank97

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSX1702 View Post
Actually I am not entirely sure of the history of the CSX East/West line through Fostoria Ohio, seems plausible though.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:50 PM   #13
seank97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
It's a valid rejection, not an excuse. See, RP generally (and genuinely) wants to accept as many shots as they can. Sure, they look for reasons to reject them, but that's what you do with a screening process. Some pictures are canned with no possible hope of getting in. But a Bad Ccropping reject is not one of those cases.

What you have missed is that in this shot the nose of the train is in the dead center of the photograph. Truth is you probably have not seen "numerous similiar style shots admitted." If you have, they probably have should have been rejected, too. Crop so the nose of the INT unit is closer to the left side of the frame. If you have the shot as it came out of the camera, please post it here (to the forum, not the web site) and let us see what you are working with.
Thanks Joe for the courteous explanation. I rarely submit pics anymore, career and lack of photo-opportunities makes it really rough to go out and enjoy the hobby lately. My submissions have been changed dramatically from submission to re-submission(s), including using different pics from the same shoot literally seconds apart all to no avail. I recently purchased my new rig (the old Canon was passing quickly) and I intentionally did not use the camera to zoom/crop as I used to just so I could in fact crop and alter as I saw fit. I liked the originals so much for their quality that I didn't alter them at all except for the actual crop, no other filters/sharpening etc. was employed, quite unusual for me up until now.

Thanks for allowing me to vent a bit, I think I have a pretty good eye overall but, there is always room for opinions when one is needed, thanks everybody for the helpful guidance and critiques.
Old 08-28-2013, 12:13 AM   #14
JimThias

Quote:
Here are the originals:
Ok, first of all the CSX shot since you had more to work with. It needed about 1.4 CW rotation, as well as a much tighter crop in 3:2 format. However, even with those fixes, you may be facing a high sun rejection. Just keep that in mind if you resubmit. Here is what I came up with:

Name:  IMG_0313_zpsbdab4bfa.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  305.6 KB

With the Interstate shot, I think you're out of luck. There is way too much nothingness on the left side and not enough interest remaining to work with on the right (as opposed to the CSX shot with the codeline poles). I had a feeling it might be a composition issue, so if you aren't aware of something called the "rule of thirds," google it and do a little reading. Once you get the feeling of creating an interesting composition as you're taking the shot, you'll find yourself dealing a lot less with cropping issues.

Last edited by JimThias; 08-28-2013 at 12:16 AM.
Old 08-28-2013, 12:51 AM   #15
Cjbdiesel

Jim,

He should be able to work with that. As for the high sun, that's the screener's opinion. I can't see any highly distracting shadows but at the same time, it's very bright...
Old 08-28-2013, 01:19 AM   #16
Greg P

Send a message via AIM to Greg P

RP.net does not like the engine to be in the center of the photo.
Greg P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:27 AM   #17
troy12n
Banned

It's unlevel, what part of that do you not see?

The bad cropping is the bunch of nothing on the left
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:49 PM   #18
seank97

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
It's unlevel, what part of that do you not see?

The bad cropping is the bunch of nothing on the left
I absolutely understood that on the original submission (nothingness to the left) hence why I resubmitted more centered the second time around. As to the un-level, there is a hint of super-elevation on the tracks, the judgement of level is based upon the signal masts to the right, behind in the distance and the 30+ power poles that I zoomed in on to make a judgement call that it didn't need to be adjusted.

I will not dispute these points that are made here except possibly the level issue. Looking at the full size uncropped photo on my 32" monitor, it isn't far enough off level to adjust. I don't use PS, I use PICASA and an adjustment to one way or the other made too much of an obvious change, hence why it was not changed. As to the high-sun, that isn;t normally an issue at 6:15pm during mid July, maybe at 3:00pm though.

Regardless, I shall persevere

Oh and as I said above, "thanks truly" for the critique(s).

fyi, my original submission from 7-15-13 not sure why it appears to be a bit out of focus, perhaps due to being a link from photobucket?

Last edited by seank97; 08-28-2013 at 10:58 PM.
seank97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:15 PM   #19
seank97

Adjusted the Interstate shot based upon this (similar but different angle http://www.railpictures.net/viewphot...449087&nseq=14) recent addition to the library (based upon close/tight crop)

Old 08-28-2013, 11:21 PM   #20
nikos1

Quote:
As to the high-sun, that isn;t normally an issue at 6:15pm during mid July, maybe at 3:00pm though.
There is no way these were taken at 6:15 PM.

Wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=7861

More wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://nikos1.rrpicturearchives.net/

Video wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's
http://youtube.com/profile?user=nikosjk1
nikos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:18 AM   #21
seank97

"These" you are correct, one was prior, no doubt. It was a hazy-ish muggy day.
Old 08-29-2013, 12:48 AM   #22
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
As to the un-level, there is a hint of super-elevation on the tracks, the judgement of level is based upon the signal masts to the right, behind in the distance and the 30+ power poles that I zoomed in on to make a judgement call that it didn't need to be adjusted.

Superevlevation does not make everything else in the frame unlevel... needs CW rotation

Quote:
I will not dispute these points that are made here except possibly the level issue.
That is certainly your prerogative.

Quote:
Looking at the full size uncropped photo on my 32" monitor, it isn't far enough off level to adjust. I don't use PS, I use PICASA and an adjustment to one way or the other made too much of an obvious change, hence why it was not changed. As to the high-sun, that isn;t normally an issue at 6:15pm during mid July, maybe at 3:00pm though.
Again, certainly your prerogative.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 01:35 AM   #23
Ron Flanary

I'm not sure there's enough usable image there to make it work at all. Need more on the right side of the frame.
Ron Flanary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 01:53 AM   #24
MagnumForce

Asks for help, disagrees with every bit of advice given.

To be Blunt, these are not good shots and I doubt there is any way to get them accepted.
Old 08-29-2013, 02:24 AM   #25
JimThias

Quote:
I will not dispute these points that are made here except possibly the level issue. Looking at the full size uncropped photo on my 32" monitor, it isn't far enough off level to adjust.
1.4 degrees unlevel isn't far enough off level to adjust? Sorry, but that is way beyond "acceptable" unlevel.

Quote:
I don't use PS, I use PICASA and an adjustment to one way or the other made too much of an obvious change, hence why it was not changed. As to the high-sun, that isn;t normally an issue at 6:15pm during mid July, maybe at 3:00pm though.
The grab rail shadows on the nose are awfully long for it not to be high sun, not to mention the long shadow on the pilot.