Old 11-17-2005, 12:44 AM   #1
jplahti

Question Cloudy and foggy confused

- Poor lighting (Cloudy): Common angle cloudy day shots of common/standard power are generally not accepted.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=185993

One question: in where do you see clouds?

There is no clouds anywhere. It's fog (you know, air is full of small water droplets). Have americans seen fog before?

Second question (not related to this): where is the motive of not accepting pictures taken in cloudy weather?

This site is really going to have only mainstream style pictures and not much else. Perfectionism has taken control here and it will always rule. Maybe I have to stop here and create a new site for something completely different: Train pictures from the evil cloudy darkness where lightpower costs as much as a new car (no, I'm not talking about the 50mm f/0.7, and forget about that artificial sun), where light fades for winter time and the "white stuff" damages cheap lenses.

Now I don't have much else to say. I'm not going to blame this site for not accepting cloudy, dark or whatever pictures, but just marvel about it. I'm against unnatural lighting requirements because too much people will get an incorrect illusion about normal weather conditions in different countries when they browse this site. I don't know if the sun shines in the United States of America forever, but I want to show normal conditions in my photographs and that is what I will do. Think about Great Britain where weather is foggy and/or rainy in most times of year ("Nah, it's cloudy. Maybe i'll get it in the next month/year."). But maybe this has been taken in account because some cloudy pictures have made it.

It's not yet possible to move the sun where you want and we have to life with it (I hope it is never possible). Photographer shows how he has seen the world and then you say something that doesn't always fit in the photographers limited brain throughput. Screening is useful to prevent harassment and other bad things in pictures, but this is horrible. Only looking at the huge amount of pictures added daily I understand this very unnatural and strict policy. Its here to slow down the growing flow of well lit pictures taken in "perfect conditions" (how absurd).

Where this world is going with clouds? Small rain doesn't hurt anyone.
jplahti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 01:02 AM   #2
bnsf sammy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jplahti
- One question: in where do you see clouds?
Well, I can see them in the sky, it is one big cloud.
Quote:
- Have americans seen fog before?
Yes, I do every morning.

Quote:
- Maybe I have to stop here and create a new site for something completely different: Train pictures from the evil cloudy darkness
I think you should do that, you would get a lot of pictures.

I would however suggest to appeal for the comman power part only because be all means it doesn't look like comman power. I've never seen trains from Finland before. I think the photo might also suffer from bad cropping, but thats just me. And some pictures with cloudy shots are accepted, but they have to be kinda "out of the box" type things, compared to a standard wedgie shot. Good luck.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:11 AM   #3
VirginiaSouthern
Banned

Send a message via AIM to VirginiaSouthern Send a message via Yahoo to VirginiaSouthern

Plus the shot does look a tad bit blurry.
VirginiaSouthern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 01:36 AM   #4
SD70MAC
HOBO

The shot looks like pure crap...I dont know why its so hard to comprehend.
SD70MAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 01:37 AM   #5
jplahti

It is actually very sharp noting it is exposed at f1.8 and the fog will cause additional effect of "blur". And that very badly visible jpeg-noise was not in the picture when I uploaded that.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:45 AM   #6
bnsf sammy

Default Not your best.

Let me put it this way. Compared to your other shots in the database, this photo is definately not your greatest when it comes to photo image quality. Your other photos however are excellent. I would let this one go, file it into your "personal collection" and try again.
Old 11-17-2005, 02:17 AM   #7
Ween

Here we go. Again. Allow me...

Quote:
This site is really going to have only mainstream style pictures and not much else.
So what? It's not your site. They accept what they want to accept. Period.

Quote:
Maybe I have to stop here and create a new site for something completely different: Train pictures from the evil cloudy darkness
Please do this. And only accept cloudy shots. That way, when people submit sunny, well-lit shots and you reject them, you'll have to listen to endless whining in your forums and across the web about how you discriminate against sunny, well-lit shots and that you need to sart accepting them.

Quote:
Now I don't have much else to say. I'm not going to blame this site for not accepting cloudy, dark or whatever pictures, but just marvel about it.
But you did have more to say and didn't just marvel. You wrote three more paragraphs after this sentence.

Quote:
I want to show normal conditions in my photographs and that is what I will do.
That's what I do too...when it's sunny.

Quote:
Screening is useful to prevent harassment and other bad things in pictures, but this is horrible. Only looking at the huge amount of pictures added daily I understand this very unnatural and strict policy. Its here to slow down the growing flow of well lit pictures taken in "perfect conditions" (how absurd).
So you would rather have a database full of photographs taken in poorly-lit conditions over ones that were taken in well-lit conditions?!? Good luck with that. Either way, there're plenty of photos that get accepted that were taken in all kinds of weather...you are just chosing to ignore that.

Bottom line: this isn't your site. You either follow their standards or you go somewhere else, sunshine or not...
Old 11-17-2005, 02:42 AM   #8
ssw9662

I've said it before, and I'll say it again:

www.rrpicturearchives.net *cough*

This is where you post your not RP worthy shots.
Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
Canon 50mm f/1.8
My Railpictures.net Photos
flickr
ssw9662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 03:01 AM   #9
quiksmith10

Send a message via AIM to quiksmith10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD70MAC
The shot looks like pure crap...I dont know why its so hard to comprehend.
I'll second this. You come in here with a rude attitude, you will get one right back.

Let's nit-pick this photo even further:

-Forground clutter
-Bad Cropping
-Blurry & Grainy
-etc. etc. etc.

Click here to view my photos at Railpictures.net!

Photography Portfolio: http://www.flickr.com/photos/53118039@N05/
quiksmith10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 03:29 AM   #10
jplahti

Come here and take better in same conditions. It will not be better than that.

Where is your sense of some kind of humour included in there?

And welcome to Finland.

Last edited by jplahti; 11-17-2005 at 03:51 AM.
Old 11-17-2005, 03:51 AM   #11
quiksmith10

Your points are not valid at all. There are plenty of shots from Europe and the like that have been accepted.

Also, I am sick and tired of what seems to be people in foreign lands dogging Americans. They seem to have an arrogance about them which makes them feel the need to prove themselves better. This doesn't go for all but a select few. I don't understand it and it's childish. This isn't the first time this has happened recently.

As far as the jpeg compression, that is not an issue at this site. There is very little (hardly even noticeable) compression that occures. Just take a look around at the database. It seems to me the problem is on your end.

Old 11-17-2005, 04:03 AM   #12
bnsf sammy

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiksmith10
Let's nit-pick this photo even further:
Look man, how is that going to solve anything? Part of the forums is to teach other people how they can make their photos better, not necesarly to make them feel worse...
Old 11-17-2005, 04:07 AM   #13
quiksmith10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnsf sammy
Look man, how is that going to solve anything? Part of the forums is to teach other people how they can make their photos better, not necesarly to make them feel worse...
Reason:

You come in here with a rude attitude, you will get one right back.

Just take a second and re-read his first post if you haven't already.

Old 11-17-2005, 04:41 AM   #14
RJSorensen

Yep we should give it too him . . . who does he think he is?

Please click here should you wish to view a portion of my railroad photography . . .
RJSorensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 04:54 AM   #15
ssw9662

Quote:
Where this world is going with clouds? Small rain doesn't hurt anyone.
I agree here. I've been able to use clouds to make for a more moody image. Of course, if you have a big white sky without any interesting cloud formations, you are out of luck.
Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
Canon 50mm f/1.8
My Railpictures.net Photos
flickr
ssw9662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 05:28 AM   #16
cmherndon
Banned

Send a message via AIM to cmherndon Send a message via Yahoo to cmherndon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJSorensen
Yep we should give it too him
We should give it also him? What?

Quote:
I usually see clouds in the sky. In this case, you have a sky with no details. It's washed out. A few other issues have been mentioned about this photo, and I'll have to agree. You might just want to save this one for the personal collection.

Quote:
It's fog (you know, air is full of small water droplets). Have americans seen fog before?
So THAT'S what that stuff is that comes off the Kentucky River every morning and makes driving difficult around here for a few hours. I can finally sleep at night now that I know what it is.

Quote:
Second question (not related to this): where is the motive of not accepting pictures taken in cloudy weather?
Cloudy wedgie = bad...Creative cloudy shot = good.

Quote:
This site is really going to have only mainstream style pictures and not much else. Perfectionism has taken control here and it will always rule.
Problem? Then don't upload your photos here. It's as simple as that. I mean, you can always ask for a refund...oh wait...

Quote:
I'm not going to blame this site for not accepting cloudy, dark or whatever pictures, but just marvel about it.
Sounds to me like you're blaming them. See previous comment about this site's policies.

Quote:
I don't know if the sun shines in the United States of America forever
It does on days when I go out and shoot trains.

Quote:
but I want to show normal conditions in my photographs and that is what I will do.
So do I. It's normal for the sun to be shining.

Quote:
Screening is useful to prevent harassment and other bad things in pictures, but this is horrible. Only looking at the huge amount of pictures added daily I understand this very unnatural and strict policy. Its here to slow down the growing flow of well lit pictures taken in "perfect conditions" (how absurd).
You know, it's also useful for this little thing I like to call Quality Control. You think it's unnatural? You don't like it? Here's what you can do. First of all it'll help to stop whining about it. Secondly, you can accept/reject the fact that it's not your site and you're not the one choosing what gets published. Also take into consideration that just because it's foreign doesn't mean it'll automatically be accepted. Your photo still must meet the requirements of this site. If you can't do any of the previous, I suggest you post elsewhere.

Quote:
Small rain doesn't hurt anyone.
Only the Wicked Witch of the West.
cmherndon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 08:23 AM   #17
Ru1056

Send a message via Yahoo to Ru1056

Quote:
Where is your sense of some kind of humour included in there?
I am sure several of us are laughing pretty good at your expense right now.

Quote:
Now I don't have much else to say. I'm not going to blame this site for not accepting cloudy, dark or whatever pictures, but just marvel about it.
Then get out of the house more. Must not be too much to do in Finland.

Quote:
Screening is useful to prevent harassment and other bad things in pictures, but this is horrible
I will agree, your picture is horrible.

Quote:
Only looking at the huge amount of pictures added daily I understand this very unnatural and strict policy. Its here to slow down the growing flow of well lit pictures taken in "perfect conditions" (how absurd)
Hey, I know a website you can go to. You can bash RP all you want, and upload all the pictures you want, and everyone thinks your shots are great and your ego will be healed from the big ole mean screeners at RP. Just ask RJ, he will lead the way.

JREB.ORG. Moderated discussion forums about NS & CSX

Remember the ugly photo god.
Ru1056 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 10:35 AM   #18
VirginiaSouthern
Banned

Send a message via AIM to VirginiaSouthern Send a message via Yahoo to VirginiaSouthern

Fog? What's that? We only get that almost every morning down here in the low country of SC. I guess now I too know what it is. I thought it was magic fairy dust floating around.

I'm not gonna cover what everyone else already has, other than to reinforce to our Finnish fiend...er...friend, that if he doesn't like the standards of the site, there are plenty of other places to post his pics.

I love when people come to any privately owned website (I see it all the time) and make demands of the owners. That's just plain funny.
Old 11-17-2005, 11:41 AM   #19
hoydie17
We Own The Night...

Send a message via AIM to hoydie17 Send a message via Yahoo to hoydie17
Default Stepped on land mine, eh?

Quote:
- Poor lighting (Cloudy): Common angle cloudy day shots of common/standard power are generally not accepted.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=185993

Simple answer, I don't see them or the fog in your picture. I can't tell if it's cloud cover, or if you've overexposed the sky. I'll take your word for it that it's overcast, however, I'm not a screener.

Quote:
There is no clouds anywhere. It's fog (you know, air is full of small water droplets). Have americans seen fog before?
Yep, we get the stuff to, and if it's from Finland and keeps coming around we're going to make it pay taxes and get a visa. In the interest of Homeland Security of course, we don't profile here. LOL

Seriously, I'm not going to echo anyone elses comments, but the narrow-sighted comment about American's seeing fog is just plain inappropriate.

Cloudy shots can get in too (with common power) but you've got to have superior lighting on the subject and detail in the sky.

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

If you use it correctly, fog is just fine:

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Quote:
Second question (not related to this): where is the motive of not accepting pictures taken in cloudy weather? . . . .

. . . . . . unnatural lighting requirements because too much people will get an incorrect illusion about normal weather conditions in . . . . . some cloudy pictures have made it.
Yes, but the ones that have made it have either an interesting angle, or are somehow interesting. Your shot is pretty much just another 3/4 wedgie under terrible cloudiness. The only thing it has going for it is being in Finland.

And I have been to Finland before, and I know you guys get some nice days, albeit cold and windy ones. I suggest taking this photo on one of those days.

Until you've established yourself on the site and start "earning" leeway with the screeners don't try to submit the foggy, cloudy, rainy shots; 9 times out of 10 it'll end up in disappointment and a subsequent lashing in the forums if you come in complaining about it.

Good luck.
Sean

Or if you want to see my work here at RP.net? Click here.

"It's just a damn train son!"

Last edited by hoydie17; 11-17-2005 at 11:46 AM.
hoydie17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 12:21 PM   #20
4kV

Location: Homeless, alcoholic drifter with no permanent address

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween
Here we go. Again. Allow me...
Dangit, you beat me to it.

Click on n691lf.rrpicturearchives.net for a good laugh and waste of your time.
4kV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 12:34 PM   #21
4kV

Quote:
In the sky is where I see clouds. In particular for this picture, it sure looks like there is an overcast above this broken fog, otherwise, there would be light in the picture, although I was not there, so you may tell otherwise. This is not a dense fog.

Quote:
Yeah, I seem to have heard about fog somewhere. Anyway, the rejection is a somewhat generic rejection, and for good reason. The screeners don't write out a dissertation for every rejection, but rather have a list of them on a dropdown menu. Sorry, but you are not going to get a rejection that says "reason: fog has reduced visibility to 2 miles with a broken cloud ceiling of 1500 feet." Cloudy is the most relevant rejection here, even if it is not perfect.

Last edited by 4kV; 11-17-2005 at 12:42 PM.
Old 11-17-2005, 12:48 PM   #22
4kV

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssw9662
I've said it before, and I'll say it again:

www.rrpicturearchives.net *cough*

This is where you post your not RP worthy shots.

This is where I post my non RP worthy shots, or some that are worthy but I don't want to upload them to RP so that I don't have 85,000 common wedgies from the same location on the site. Basically, it's where I post all my keepers, RP is where I post my better or best keepers. RRpicturearchives.net is really a good site. It's just that some of the shots uploaded to the site aren't worth the expense of electrons it took to get them there.

Old 11-17-2005, 01:46 PM   #23
busyEMT

I tried 2 different versions of uploading this photo yesterday
and it was rejected both times. For the cloudy, common power rejection. On appeal, rejected.

I was excited for the first snow. Thought this had a chance. I was wrong - now I move on.

Don't do anything you wouldn't want to explain to the paramedics!
busyEMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 01:49 PM   #24
bnsf sammy

thats an awesome shot nontheless
Old 11-17-2005, 01:54 PM   #25
VirginiaSouthern
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnsf sammy
thats an awesome shot nontheless
Agreed. Even if its not RP worthy, its still a helluva shot!