Old 07-24-2014, 08:14 PM   #1
BNSF ES44DC
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 47
Default Photos that were in queue

I put 24 photos in queue this morning and they all got rejected. None of them had a reason why rejected. So the question is what should I do with them?
BNSF ES44DC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 08:48 PM   #2
John West
Senior Curmudgeon
 
John West's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Mill Valley, CA
Posts: 1,074
Default

It may have had nothing to do with the individual images and everything to do with the fact that you uploaded 24 images in one day.
__________________
John West
See my pix here and
here and here
John West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 08:50 PM   #3
BNSF ES44DC
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 47
Default

I do that all the time and have no problems.
BNSF ES44DC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:01 PM   #4
troy12n
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 5,333
Default

If you are a paying customer, I supposed you have a right to complain. PM one of the admins and demand an explanation.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:35 PM   #5
Mberry
Senior Member
 
Mberry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Montreal, Qc
Posts: 626
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
If you are a paying customer, I supposed you have a right to complain. PM one of the admins and demand an explanation.
Yep, as en elite member you are well within your rights uploading 24/day or more.

"Benefits of Membership: *

- Unlimited photo uploads per day (normal members are limited to 2 uploads per day)"
Mberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:44 PM   #6
troy12n
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 5,333
Default

Somebody uploaded some ridiculous number of shots one day, 100 or so IIRC
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:45 PM   #7
JRMDC
Senior Member
 
JRMDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 11,201
Default

Sounds like an RP technical glitch, if all 24 had no reason for rejection. Were they consecutive in the queue?
__________________
My RP pix are here.
My Flickr pix are here.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:46 PM   #8
JRMDC
Senior Member
 
JRMDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 11,201
Default

Troy, that was Travis, he uploaded something like 107 and numbered them in the remarks section (IIRC). I beleive he arranged in advance for those so they would all be done at the same time.
__________________
My RP pix are here.
My Flickr pix are here.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 11:15 PM   #9
BNSF ES44DC
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 47
Default

Most of them were in consecutive order. Should I appeal them?
BNSF ES44DC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 11:22 PM   #10
jnohallman
Senior Member
 
jnohallman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,527
Default

I'd send a message asking what happened first. Appealing without knowing why they were rejected is a good way to get in the bad graces of the screeners/admins. If any of the rejects were "legitimate" rejections, they'll be particularly perturbed about appeals.

Jon
__________________
"Everybody talks about the weather, but nobody does anything about it." - Mark Twain

Click here to see my photos on RP.net!

Do not, under any circumstances whatsoever, click here. Don't even think about it. I'm warning you!
jnohallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 11:55 PM   #11
troy12n
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 5,333
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNSF ES44DC View Post
Most of them were in consecutive order. Should I appeal them?
Appeal all 25 of them, lol
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 12:10 AM   #12
troy12n
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 5,333
Default

Also, post some of the rejections, let's see how bad they were
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 04:12 AM   #13
Mgoldman
Senior Member
 
Mgoldman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 3,630
Default

Ah ha - so there is something more frustrating then spending an afternoon getting cloud f'd while shooting trains - that being spending an afternoon uploading, detailing and captioning 25 images to RP without a single one being accepted. Can't even go back and pull up the "last page" info, except for perhaps #25.

I sure hope it was a glitch in the system. We may never know.

As for when is enough enough? Well, it's a database. What difference does it make if every shot you post shows up spread over a day or spread over a year? The more, the merrier - assuming they better the typical quality of RRarchives.

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 11:47 AM   #15
bigbassloyd
Senior Member
 
bigbassloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Hilldale, West Virginia
Posts: 3,539
Default

They all look to be a bit soft.

Loyd L.
__________________
Social Media elevates the absurd and mediocre to a point where they aren't anymore, and that is a tragedy.
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 02:46 PM   #16
Ron Flanary
Senior Member
 
Ron Flanary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Big Stone Gap, VA
Posts: 1,327
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNSF ES44DC View Post
I put 24 photos in queue this morning and they all got rejected. None of them had a reason why rejected. So the question is what should I do with them?
Twenty four shots at once? That's ridiculous. Take more time to self-edit and limit yourself to four or five really good shots vs. 24 mediocre ones. Quality is always most important in this field, not quantity. You have this confused with pornography.
Ron Flanary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 04:55 PM   #17
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew
 
Chase55671's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Nitro, WV
Posts: 2,191
Send a message via AIM to Chase55671 Send a message via MSN to Chase55671
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNSF ES44DC View Post
Most of them were in consecutive order. Should I appeal them?
No, I would not appeal all 24 of your uploads. I responded to your inquiry through my personal email. Thx.
__________________
Chase Gunnoe
Railpictures.Net Crew
Rail-Videos.Net Crew
Click here to view my photos at Railpictures.Net
SLR Night Photography Tutorial | Railpictures.Net Beginners Guide
Chase55671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 05:30 PM   #18
troy12n
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 5,333
Default

A couple I looked at were unlevel
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 06:42 PM   #19
John West
Senior Curmudgeon
 
John West's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Mill Valley, CA
Posts: 1,074
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Flanary View Post
Twenty four shots at once? That's ridiculous. Take more time to self-edit and limit yourself to four or five really good shots vs. 24 mediocre ones. Quality is always most important in this field, not quantity. You have this confused with pornography.
I sure agree with that. But unfortunately RP seems to encourage quantity rather than quality. I like the old cliche the difference between a poor photographer and a good photographer is the good photographer hides his bad stuff.
__________________
John West
See my pix here and
here and here
John West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 08:31 PM   #20
Mgoldman
Senior Member
 
Mgoldman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 3,630
Default

I think for a site like RP to be successful and to continue to draw and maintain it's patrons, they need to keep personal bias and preferences out of the formula.

RP has for the most part been judged like a math test would be - it meets criteria or it does not. There is little room for bias that way.

If RP were to shift to a model where "Best" is judged like a literary piece where there is no real subjective way to measure, the site would surely come apart or consolidate to a very small group of photographers that share similar tastes.

In that vein - the more (screened) images, the better. Again, a good percentage of images on RP fall far from what could be considered "the best" railroad photos on the net. So, enjoy that aspect of the database and if you don't like an image - scroll past it. And should you find yourself in the position to better a shot, you'll have something to start with - something much better thanks to technical screening, then you'd find on Google, RRArchives or Flickr - if you can find anything relevant on those sites which lack the database search features of RP.

A photo is photo - what difference does it make if 24 unique images are uploaded in one day or 24 days. Or from 24 photographers vs one photographer with 24 different images?

You want to limit images - sign up for someone's contest.

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 09:34 PM   #21
conrail1990
Senior Member
 
conrail1990's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Delaware
Posts: 203
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNSF ES44DC View Post
Needs to be in TBH. But I might be a little Biased as my username would suggest.
__________________
Evan Schilling
My Photos on RP.
My Photos for sale
conrail1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 09:39 PM   #22
John West
Senior Curmudgeon
 
John West's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Mill Valley, CA
Posts: 1,074
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman View Post
I think for a site like RP to be successful and to continue to draw and maintain it's patrons, they need to keep personal bias and preferences out of the formula.

RP has for the most part been judged like a math test would be - it meets criteria or it does not. There is little room for bias that way.

If RP were to shift to a model where "Best" is judged like a literary piece where there is no real subjective way to measure, the site would surely come apart or consolidate to a very small group of photographers that share similar tastes.

In that vein - the more (screened) images, the better. Again, a good percentage of images on RP fall far from what could be considered "the best" railroad photos on the net. So, enjoy that aspect of the database and if you don't like an image - scroll past it. And should you find yourself in the position to better a shot, you'll have something to start with - something much better thanks to technical screening, then you'd find on Google, RRArchives or Flickr - if you can find anything relevant on those sites which lack the database search features of RP.

A photo is photo - what difference does it make if 24 unique images are uploaded in one day or 24 days. Or from 24 photographers vs one photographer with 24 different images?

You want to limit images - sign up for someone's contest.

/Mitch
But this place purports to host the "best". That implies some level of judgement. Nothing wrong with a place that accepts anything that meets some technical threshold, but that should be advertised differently. And I doubt that I would bother to go there very often. As it is I come here mostly to play in the forum sandbox.
__________________
John West
See my pix here and
here and here

Last edited by John West; 07-25-2014 at 09:42 PM.
John West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 09:58 PM   #23
BNSF ES44DC
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 47
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Flanary View Post
Twenty four shots at once? That's ridiculous. Take more time to self-edit and limit yourself to four or five really good shots vs. 24 mediocre ones. Quality is always most important in this field, not quantity. You have this confused with pornography.
I took my time on all the photos. I just have a bunch waiting to be uploaded.
BNSF ES44DC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 11:17 PM   #24
JRMDC
Senior Member
 
JRMDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 11,201
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman View Post
In that vein - the more (screened) images, the better. Again, a good percentage of images on RP fall far from what could be considered "the best" railroad photos on the net. So, enjoy that aspect of the database and if you don't like an image - scroll past it.
Mitch, sometimes I am drifting towards your point of view, sometimes away, as here. I personally don't want more screened images under the current standrds, because in my view to "scroll past it" is a HUGE problem. That is because I have no desire at all to view 90%+ of what is here now. I suspect that would get worse under your current preference.

But I think your preferences have changed, or more likely, you are giving a simple response in an internet forum to a complex problem. Specifically, you say

Quote:
If RP were to shift to a model where "Best" is judged like a literary piece where there is no real subjective way to measure, the site would surely come apart or consolidate to a very small group of photographers that share similar tastes.
I think the Mitch I know would say that RP is currently coming apart or at least consolidating to a smaller group of photographers that share similar tastes, albeit not because of subjectivity but because of inconsistency (and a bit of overly precise technical scrutiny). And those tastes do not belong to other photographers who are being chased away by current screening practice. This is what I thought your view of RP was, until now. Actually, I suspect it still it. It is just that it is a complex problem!

Put differently, I don't think it is personal bias that is driving away the photographers that you, Mitch, want to have around. I think it is a focus on technical precision that those protographers choose not to pursue because they don't find it relevant. Now, this goes, I suppsoe, to whether those photographers are being driven away by, say, overly-picky color and level assessments (technical) or whether they are being driven away by overly-picky compositional assessments (subjective). But its a complex problem and I am going too deep into the weeds, as the expression goes in my line of work.
__________________
My RP pix are here.
My Flickr pix are here.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 01:30 AM   #25
Mgoldman
Senior Member
 
Mgoldman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 3,630
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
Mitch, sometimes I am drifting towards your point of view, sometimes away, as here. I personally don't want more screened images under the current standrds, because in my view to "scroll past it" is a HUGE problem. That is because I have no desire at all to view 90%+ of what is here now. I suspect that would get worse under your current preference.
I find it hard to believe you would even think to use the word "HUGE" all capitals to describe the "hassle" of scrolling through thumbs - most of which can be seen all at once by many who view the page often. For those who do not, simply choose "90 images" and scroll a full day in under 6 seconds.


Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
I think the Mitch I know would say that RP is currently coming apart or at least consolidating to a smaller group of photographers that share similar tastes, albeit not because of subjectivity but because of inconsistency (and a bit of overly precise technical scrutiny).
Both subjectivity and inconsistency.


Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
And those photographers... are being chased away by current screening practice. This is what I thought your view of RP was, until now. Actually, I suspect it still it. It is just that it is a complex problem!
That IS my view and it is not complex what so ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
Put differently, I don't think it is personal bias that is driving away the photographers that you, Mitch, want to have around. I think it is a focus on technical precision that those protographers choose not to pursue because they don't find it relevant. Now, this goes, I suppsoe, to whether those photographers are being driven away by, say, overly-picky color and level assessments (technical) or whether they are being driven away by overly-picky compositional assessments (subjective). But its a complex problem and I am going too deep into the weeds, as the expression goes in my line of work.
Again - both, it's not one or the other, it's both.

Lighten up all the way around - perhaps even more so for patrons well established on RP or for long term patrons of the site. At least on the appeals side. For Christ's sake - it's a database - scroll past the photos you don't like. I would say only 20% of the images on RP would qualify as among the best on the net, but I do not advocate deleting the other 80%.

I'll admit, and I assume others will join in saying that the prime appeal for adding to the page count on RP is far more then to catch a glimpse of the best photos on the net. "We" use it to to fill in the 30 days between issues of Railfan or Trains and RI, Railpace, ect. We use it as a news source. To scout locations. And it's a lot less time consuming to learn from the experience of others - when to add a flash, when to shoot from a slightly different perspective or even different season. And for education and research. Albeit - all screened to meet certain - hopefully - technical standards. And we do this because we understand that RP is more then the "best" photos on the 'net. It has been accepting wedges, Darwins, wrecks, displays, news, yard shots, overcast shots, and the like for well over a decade. All which is very fortunate for those into the hobby we call railfaning which includes photography, preservation and education.

Go to the Center for Railroad Photography & Art if you want to see what a select few term the best of the best without having to scroll so much.

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.