Old 05-16-2018, 02:28 AM   #1
ShortlinesUSA

Default The right way to do backlit?

Stunning photo, in my opinion. And got POTW. I think this one is a great example of how backlit photos can, and do work at times. Now, of course, I have no clue how much processing went into this as a slide shooter, but if nothing else, this shot shows you shouldn't care about backlighting, and if your shot gets rejected, who cares-- keep it in your collection if you like it. But this is the type of backlighting I look for and will shoot. You just probably won't see it here. Tip o' the hat to Nick for a great shot.

Image © Nick DAmato (Diamond D)
PhotoID: 657547
Photograph © Nick DAmato (Diamond D)

Shortline and Regional RR forum moderator
ShortlinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 03:59 AM   #2
SAR Connecta

Perhaps a silly question (so apologies in advance for it), but I honestly don't know how it is determined. Who decides the Photo Of The Week? The Screeners, or is it taken from the top of the People's Choice pile?

My Railpictures.Net photos can be found here http://www.railpictures.net/sarconnecta/.

Last edited by SAR Connecta; 05-16-2018 at 04:08 AM.
SAR Connecta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 11:32 AM   #3
RobJor

Many of the POTW and Screener's Choice are backlit, dramatic light. Just how dramatic you need to get accepted is the question? I fear some contributors shy away form submitting or even setting up to take backlit fearing rejection.

This one was rescued from obscurity.

Bob
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 11:53 AM   #4
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJor View Post
Many of the POTW and Screener's Choice are backlit, dramatic light. Just how dramatic you need to get accepted is the question? I fear some contributors shy away form submitting or even setting up to take backlit fearing rejection.

This one was rescued from obscurity.

Bob
I'd say you're probably right. Personally, I take a lot of backlit photos, but since I don't share much of anything, it's not because I fear rejection

Loyd L.
Old 05-16-2018, 11:50 AM   #5
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAR Connecta View Post
Perhaps a silly question (so apologies in advance for it), but I honestly don't know how it is determined. Who decides the Photo Of The Week? The Screeners, or is it taken from the top of the People's Choice pile?
POTW is usually selected by Chris K, unless something has changed.

Loyd L.
Old 05-16-2018, 12:03 PM   #6
SAR Connecta

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
POTW is usually selected by Chris K, unless something has changed.

Loyd L.
Thanks Loyd.

My Railpictures.Net photos can be found here http://www.railpictures.net/sarconnecta/.
SAR Connecta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 01:02 PM   #7
Grewup on the CW

I seldom try any backlit, not from fear either but simply because I feel when any backlit gets on RP it's just simply appealing to screener. So far the few times I've tried, the luck of the draw has not been in my favor.

My last failed attempt on backlit;
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WM501RP.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	701.3 KB
ID:	9621  
Grewup on the CW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 01:12 PM   #8
RobJor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grewup on the CW View Post
I seldom try any backlit, not from fear either but simply because I feel when any backlit gets on RP it's just simply appealing to screener. So far the few times I've tried, the luck of the draw has not been in my favor.

My last failed attempt on backlit;
I'd crop out most of the railings(very unappealing)? Maybe up to the lamp post, it all about the WM on the curve, get it tight?

Also, maybe fear was the wrong term.

Bob

Last edited by RobJor; 05-16-2018 at 01:15 PM.
Old 05-16-2018, 01:56 PM   #9
Grewup on the CW

Quote:
I'd crop out most of the railings(very unappealing)? Maybe up to the lamp post, it all about the WM on the curve, get it tight?

Also, maybe fear was the wrong term.

Bob
Thanks Bob I usually just put the pic back in the vault when it gets backlit. Maybe try it re-cropped but I believe more elevation would do this shot/location more justice. The railing at this elevation hides a lot of the remaining passenger cars. The bridge above has no sidewalks nor shoulder so drone shot would be the only answer to elevation.
Old 05-16-2018, 02:46 PM   #10
RobJor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grewup on the CW View Post
Thanks Bob I usually just put the pic back in the vault when it gets backlit. Maybe try it re-cropped but I believe more elevation would do this shot/location more justice. The railing at this elevation hides a lot of the remaining passenger cars. The bridge above has no sidewalks nor shoulder so drone shot would be the only answer to elevation.
I know what you mean. But, I had a snow plow shot that was rejected back lit, several people mentioned a guard rail and a few other distraction. Way later I sent it in improved, not sure if that made the difference but got in. Can be frustrating but just the exercise of trying to improve a little is good. Some will argue shoot it right the first time but myself I find it hard to visualize a curve shot, so shooting wide and cropping gives me an out.

Bob
Old 05-16-2018, 08:36 PM   #11
Grewup on the CW

Quote:
I know what you mean. But, I had a snow plow shot that was rejected back lit, several people mentioned a guard rail and a few other distraction. Way later I sent it in improved, not sure if that made the difference but got in. Can be frustrating but just the exercise of trying to improve a little is good. Some will argue shoot it right the first time but myself I find it hard to visualize a curve shot, so shooting wide and cropping gives me an out.

Bob
I just to shoot tight but soon learned that I had a lot pics that had unfix-able issues simply because the subject was already near the edge of the shot. Now I shoot wide and crop down and if time still allows (rolling train) I zoom in and get some close ups.
Old 05-18-2018, 01:39 PM   #12
Mberry

Ironically one of the few backlit shots I've gotten on rp was of the same engine.

Image © Michael Berry
PhotoID: 640125
Photograph © Michael Berry
Mberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 02:19 PM   #13
VTHokiesRailfan

I did a backlit shot once.... had to scrape my jaw off the ground after the train passed ....yea i know i never post on here, I've been lurking for a hot minute. lol

http://www.railpictures.net/photo/650212/

Last edited by VTHokiesRailfan; 05-18-2018 at 02:25 PM.
VTHokiesRailfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 01:12 AM   #14
Joseph Cermak

Yeah I've found often times the dramatic lighting doesn't occur until the train is there so I shoot everything and sometimes get lucky. After all, with digital storage is cheap so there's not much reason not to shoot everything, you never know what you'll never be able to shoot again too. The only backlit shots I have are from chasing a coke train on the B&P back in January where the light and snow came together with some luck right as the train arrived on location.

Image © mtnclimberjoe
PhotoID: 646660
Photograph © mtnclimberjoe

Image © mtnclimberjoe
PhotoID: 646975
Photograph © mtnclimberjoe
Joseph Cermak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 03:56 AM   #15
Mgoldman

I think RP has more an issue with backlit shots that were "saved" in Photoshop vs backlit shots where the effect was exactly what the photographer was after.

There are plenty of great backlit shots on RP - and a good quantity, for better or worse, of "saved" backlit shots though one would hope those would be restricted to shots that had other things going for them, or were of value for the subject matter (news, rarity, ect.).

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote