Old 02-26-2013, 04:33 AM   #1
Ryan Lewis

Send a message via AIM to Ryan Lewis Send a message via Yahoo to Ryan Lewis
Default CSX Santa Train - Ryan Lewis

The CSX Santa Train (By: Ryan Lewis, Edited By: Chase Gunnoe)

The year of 2012, I had the honor of chasing the CSX Santa Train on the former Clinchfield line. I started off early in the morning at about 5:00. It was a very eventful day of shooting, with clear skies, and a great temperature only added to the experience. This train runs to give food and gifts to parents and children who need it. It is a joined effort with; CSX, The Kingsport Chamber of Commerce, Food City, and more.

Departing CSX’s Shelby, Kentucky yard near Pikeville, KY at the early morning hour of 6am on November 17th, 2012, the 70th annual running of the Clinchfield Santa Train began its journey south under the power of SD40-2, No. 8140, F40PH No. 9993, and 10 of CSX’s business passenger cars. Serving as a Clinchfield tradition for seven consecutive decades, the 2012 running of the Santa Train distributed gifts to anxious children at 14 locations along the 110 mile journey from Pikeville to Kingsport, TN on CSX’s Kingsport Subdivision. The event is made possible each year thanks to the countless volunteers of the various sponsoring organizations such as CSX, Food City, Kingsport Chamber of Commerce, and more. Over 15 tons of toys, canned goods, and clothes were donated for distribution to children and residents of the small Appalachian communities of Clincho, Dante, St. Paul, and more. Thompson Square, a popular country duo also assisted Santa in the distributing of gifts, and performed for residents upon the arrival of the Santa Train in downtown Kingsport, Tennessee. Following the unloading of remaining gifts in Kingsport, the equipment deadheaded south, following the route of the former Clinchfield to Spartanburg, SC and eventually back to Jacksonville, FL at the Corporate Headquarters of CSX.

Seen below, The CSX Santa Train making his stop in Ft. Blackmore to throw the presents to the kids there.

High Resolution Links of all of the images above:
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=415308
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=415345
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=415405

Camera Used: Canon EOS 40D (Camera); JVC HD Everio GZ-HD300 (Video Camera)
Lenses Used: Promaster 11-18mm F/4.5-5.6; Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM; Canon EF 75-300mm F/4-5.6 III

My Facebook Profile
My Pictures on RailPictures
My Videos on Rail-Videos

Last edited by Ryan Lewis; 02-26-2013 at 04:39 AM.
Ryan Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:48 PM   #2
Mr. Pick

Good report, Ryan. I've never had the pleasure of chasing a Santa train and learned a little about what it does and its purpose from your report. Good pictures as well. Thanks!
Mr. Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:48 PM   #3
Ryan Lewis

Send a message via AIM to Ryan Lewis Send a message via Yahoo to Ryan Lewis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pick View Post
Good report, Ryan. I've never had the pleasure of chasing a Santa train and learned a little about what it does and its purpose from your report. Good pictures as well. Thanks!
Thanks! If you ever get the chance to chase it, you should defiantly do it! It is a lot of fun, and it is pretty easy to chase.

Camera Used: Canon EOS 40D (Camera); JVC HD Everio GZ-HD300 (Video Camera)
Lenses Used: Promaster 11-18mm F/4.5-5.6; Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM; Canon EF 75-300mm F/4-5.6 III

My Facebook Profile
My Pictures on RailPictures
My Videos on Rail-Videos
Ryan Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote