Old 12-13-2012, 07:39 AM   #1
Watain
-_-
 
Watain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hiltons, Virginia, USA
Posts: 953
Send a message via MSN to Watain
Default The Dark Side.

Pulled this one out of the old archives, and started playing with it, I really liked the way it looked in black and white, however I never could get a black and white image to work here, and this was no exception... Rejected for too dark twice..

1st attempt.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...81&key=5992145

2nd attempt.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...84&key=1249586

Thoughts?
Watain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:19 AM   #2
e-unit
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 31
Default

In my opinion, the second one looks fine. I have had similar problems with black and white shots. The Black around the cars reporting marks seem just a tad too dark.
e-unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:58 PM   #3
KevinM
Senior Member
 
KevinM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 2,010
Default

I have to side with the screener on this one. This image is a bunch too dark. Putting a histogram on it, there appears to be a fair amount of clipping on the left. It also doesn't have much for mid-tones.

There are probably a couple of ways to fix it. I would start by adjusting the black point and adding a bit of fill in ACR to eliminate the massive clipping on the left. I would then use curves or even brightness to boost the mid-tones so that the whites on the locomotive start looking white, and the concrete beams in that bridge look more like mid-day, not half an hour after sunset.

If it's raw, it's fixable.
__________________
/Kevin

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:19 AM   #4
Watain
-_-
 
Watain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hiltons, Virginia, USA
Posts: 953
Send a message via MSN to Watain
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
I have to side with the screener on this one. This image is a bunch too dark. Putting a histogram on it, there appears to be a fair amount of clipping on the left. It also doesn't have much for mid-tones.

There are probably a couple of ways to fix it. I would start by adjusting the black point and adding a bit of fill in ACR to eliminate the massive clipping on the left. I would then use curves or even brightness to boost the mid-tones so that the whites on the locomotive start looking white, and the concrete beams in that bridge look more like mid-day, not half an hour after sunset.

If it's raw, it's fixable.
Thanks I tried all of that.

They hit for underexposed first..

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...22&key=1437149

Fixed the exposure then they hit for cloudy. I guess that's what I get for playing with moldy oldies..

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...23&key=1946691
Watain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:19 PM   #5
Cjbdiesel
Senior Member
 
Cjbdiesel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 143
Default

This photo doesn't seem like your cup of tea at this point.
Cjbdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:12 PM   #6
JRMDC
Senior Member
 
JRMDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 11,202
Default

It's not a compelling candidate for BW treatment, in my view. Just doesn't have an interesting mix and arrangement of lights and darks.
__________________
My RP pix are here.
My Flickr pix are here.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:33 PM   #7
nikos1
Senior Member
 
nikos1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,775
Default

Agreed, its a very muddy black and white, it might look better in color really.
__________________


Wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=7861

More wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://nikos1.rrpicturearchives.net/

Video wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's
http://youtube.com/profile?user=nikosjk1
nikos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 04:53 AM   #8
Watain
-_-
 
Watain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hiltons, Virginia, USA
Posts: 953
Send a message via MSN to Watain
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
It's not a compelling candidate for BW treatment, in my view. Just doesn't have an interesting mix and arrangement of lights and darks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikos1 View Post
Agreed, its a very muddy black and white, it might look better in color really.
Thanks for the feedback as always. It didn't look much better in color honestly, but. I just figured it had some interest the over/under shot at that location is a hard one to pull off, its been done before.... Although much better.

Image © Chris Starnes
PhotoID: 231054
Photograph © Chris Starnes
Watain is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.