Old 03-21-2014, 06:58 AM   #1
MacTown

Default Another Bad Cropping Reject

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...42&key=7488100

I've submitted this picture several times adjusting the crop each time. I cropped more from the bottom and left more room to the left but no luck. Is the right side too tight? That is the way the original picture is so I can't add any room over there.
MacTown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 01:14 PM   #2
JimThias

Can you post a pre-cropped version? Not enough to work with on that rejection to give any advice.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 06:38 PM   #3
MacTown

Here is a version that is not cropped.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:14 PM   #4
JimThias

Really not a whole lot you can do, even with the full image. You'll probably want to focus on a 3:2 crop here, as your rejection was a bit too "short." It's too bad you couldn't open this scene up more with more cars in view (and maybe even some of that brush to "cut" the train off before it leaves the frame).

Here's a 3:2 crop with a little taken off each side, with the focus on trying to leave enough space in front of the nose of the loco and keeping the train as low in the frame as possible.

Attachment 8494
Old 03-21-2014, 08:57 PM   #5
MacTown

I have another picture with the train a little farther back. It includes a lot more of the tree's and shrub on the right side but with less of the train visible. Jim I'm just getting back into all of this after a several year hiatus could you explain the 3:2 crop to me?

Last edited by MacTown; 03-21-2014 at 09:04 PM.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:09 PM   #6
MassArt Images

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTown View Post
I have another picture with the train a little farther back. It includes a lot more of the tree's and shrub on the right side but with less of the train visible. Jim I'm just getting back into all of this after a several year hiatus could you explain the 3:2 crop to me?
I think he means the ratio of length to width i.e. 3" wide by 2" high. Keeping the same the ratio would make an image 900 pixels wide by 600 pixels high. Hope this helps.

My RP pics are HERE

My website is HERE
MassArt Images is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:30 PM   #7
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTown View Post
I have another picture with the train a little farther back. It includes a lot more of the tree's and shrub on the right side but with less of the train visible.
Too bad you don't have a shot in between this one and your rejection, or your rejection doesn't include the trees on the right like this shot. That would make for a nice framing element on the right side.

Quote:
Jim I'm just getting back into all of this after a several year hiatus could you explain the 3:2 crop to me?
3:2 is the standard ratio for DSLR cameras. Think about how standard the 4x6 (or 6x4, however you want to look at it) photo is. That is the 3:2 ratio. 3 inches wide by 2 inches tall, for example. The standard pixel dimension for a long time on RP in the 3:2 ratio was 1024 x 683. That standard has been raised to 1200 x 800 with their somewhat recent file size acceptance increase.

One of my biggest complaints with digital photography since I picked up my first DSLR a few moons ago is the lack of frame options that fit the 3:2 ratio. 8 x 12, not 8 x 10, should be a standard. It is extremely hard to find that size in frame stores (much easier online though).

Last edited by JimThias; 03-21-2014 at 10:34 PM.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:51 PM   #8
MacTown

I figured that's what 3:2 meant, thanks for clarifying that for me. Looks like I just missed the sweet spot with those pictures. It's the first time I've shot at that location, so if these pictures don't work out I'll at least know how to frame the shot next time, hopefully with a nice and clean engine on the point lol. I'll try to submit one similar to the one you cropped