Old 01-20-2009, 03:37 PM   #1
Dennis A. Livesey
Senior Member
 
Dennis A. Livesey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,985
Unhappy Oh No! Back Light!

I knew this was back lit. Still I thought it was pretty dramatic, a little different with a good compo, color, contrast and human interest.
(link removed, photo now in DB)
Image © Dennis A. Livesey
PhotoID: 268018
Photograph © Dennis A. Livesey


This also was rejected for back light. Dramatic lighting, strong lines, different view. And it is a homage to the endpapers of "Steam's Finest Hour" by David M. Morgan.
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=632767&key=0

Can these get on RP or are they for PC?

Thanks!
__________________
Dennis

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777

Last edited by Dennis A. Livesey; 01-21-2009 at 03:49 AM.
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 03:53 PM   #2
milwman
I shoot what I like
 
milwman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Cedar Fall's, Iowa
Posts: 2,474
Send a message via Yahoo to milwman
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis A. Livesey
I knew this was back lit. Still I thought it was pretty dramatic
Thanks!
Well the first one is on and back lit steam and or snow looks great, the other one doesn't look all that good.
__________________
Richard Scott Marsh I go by Scott long story

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 04:00 PM   #3
John Ryan
Senior Member
 
John Ryan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan
Posts: 497
Send a message via AIM to John Ryan
Default

The first photo looks overprocessed, as if an attempt was made to recover some overexposed areas. The concept is good, but the execution needs work.
John Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 04:56 PM   #4
Freericks
Met Fan
 
Freericks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,040
Default

I think the first one looks great, actually. I would just say I disagree with it being rejected.

The second one, the backlighting, while interesting and dramatic, is problematic for this site.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 05:11 PM   #5
Walter S
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 1,023
Send a message via AIM to Walter S
Default

It looks to me like the first one was accepted? I dont like the angle of the second nor the lighting.
Walter S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 06:36 PM   #6
Dennis A. Livesey
Senior Member
 
Dennis A. Livesey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,985
Smile

Yes, by jove it DID get in! Well! I am surprised and pleased. How does this happen? Does another screener look over the rejects and has veto power?
In any event, this is good news.

John, I was going to give it another whack at it before it got in, but I must admit I wouldn't have much idea what to do to improve it.

This kind of dynamic range requirement presses the limit of digital or reversal film. With negative film, in the hands of a master, I'm sure it would be seamless.

So I basically went with what I could do in Aperture. I tried in PS but honestly have no clue of extending the range of this shot.

I appreciate the comments on the overhead shot. I still think it's a great idea; I just need to make it work.

Thank you Richard, John, Freericks, Walter for taking to the time to give me the constructive criticism. I appreciate it very much.
__________________
Dennis

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 07:31 PM   #7
KevinM
Senior Member
 
KevinM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 2,010
Default

Hi Dennis,

Sorry to weigh in on this late....

For the most part, I think back-lit shots are intended to be artistic. The minute you inject artistry into it, things get very subjective. One man's trash is another man's treasure. For me, back-lit shots have to:

1. Dramatize some action
2. Contain objects of great interest
3. Contain a scene that most would call beautiful (like a sunset)

The back-lits I like have one or more of those characteristics. I'm a big fan of back-lit shots, if only because my own failures have taught me just how difficult it is to get good ones!

I'm with the Screener on this one. I really like your shot of the 3254 at Steamtown. That would be in Category 1. Steam engines create a spectacle just by being themselves. I don't agree with the assessment that the shot looks overprocessed. I think you did a nice job balancing very difficult lighting. I think the shot of the static collection wants to be a Category 2, but perhaps doesn't grab enough people's interest to get there. Remember, we steam guys seem to be a minority here.

I only have a couple of back-lit shots in RP. I too thought they would be rejected:

A Category 1, though with lighting not nearly as challenging as in your shot:
Image © Kevin Madore
PhotoID: 264339
Photograph © Kevin Madore


And a Category 2, which probably got in because it offered a scene not experienced by more than a handful of people here:
Image © Kevin Madore
PhotoID: 255553
Photograph © Kevin Madore


My little soap-box on back-lit shots wouldn't be complete without showing what I consider to be the holy grail. This Mitch Goldman spectacle breaks through in all three categories IMHO
Image © Mitch Goldman
PhotoID: 221040
Photograph © Mitch Goldman

Very sweet shot indeed.
__________________
/Kevin

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 02:12 AM   #8
Dennis A. Livesey
Senior Member
 
Dennis A. Livesey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,985
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM
Hi Dennis,
Sorry to weigh in on this late....
Kevin
Since I'm a big fan of your work, you may weigh in at any time!

The railfan hobby has many facets and I agree that with the huge number of diesel documentarians on this site, art loving steam fans are definitely in the minority.

Still RP does accept truly outstanding, cutting edge stuff that any photographer would be proud to do.

I really like how you defined what makes a good back lit shot. I believe it covers the requirements quite well. I'm flattered that my modest image made your cut.

One way to get better at one's endeavor's is to emulate one's betters.
(OK, I copy) With great apologies to Mitch, who a has had the misfortune of having me standing nearby, I submit my versions of 98 on Red Creek Trestle.

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©


and

Image © Dennis A. Livesey
PhotoID: 268107
Photograph © Dennis A. Livesey
__________________
Dennis

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777

Last edited by Dennis A. Livesey; 01-21-2009 at 03:15 AM. Reason: trying to get the Photo Id thing right
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 02:20 AM   #9
CG_F45
Senior Member
 
CG_F45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 413
Default

Dennis,

Just wanted to let you know that I really like this shot:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=632767&key=0

The way the light and shadow play is eye catching, and I like the "lines" this image has...

...If I could make a suggestion, is there a spot in that museum where you could re-create that shot with three steamers lined up (as opposed to the passeger car)? Also, perhaps crop closer to the top to get rid of the cicular structure..?

Just thoughts, but I had to comment on that shot; it gives me ideas!

EDIT: I just browsed your RP page, you do nice work!
__________________
Chris G

My photos at RailPictures.Net
CG_F45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 03:04 AM   #10
jnohallman
Senior Member
 
jnohallman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,527
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis A. Livesey
Kevin
Since I'm a big fan of your work, you may weigh in at any time!

The railfan hobby has many facets and I agree that with the huge number of diesel documentarians on this site, art loving steam fans are definitely in the minority.

Still RP does accept truly outstanding, cutting edge stuff that any photographer would be proud to do.

I really like how you defined what makes a good back lit shot. I believe it covers the requirements quite well. I'm flattered that my modest image made your cut.

One way to get better at one's endeavor's is to emulate one's betters.
(OK, I copy) With great apologies to Mitch, who a has had the misfortune of having me standing nearby, I submit my versions of 98 on Red Creek Trestle.

[PhotoID=268106]

and

[PhotoID=268107]

OK. I give up.

How do I link RP photos again?
Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©


Image © Dennis A. Livesey
PhotoID: 268107
Photograph © Dennis A. Livesey


No capital letters . . .
Great pictures, BTW!

Jon
__________________
"Everybody talks about the weather, but nobody does anything about it." - Mark Twain

Click here to see my photos on RP.net!

Do not, under any circumstances whatsoever, click here. Don't even think about it. I'm warning you!
jnohallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 03:18 AM   #11
Dennis A. Livesey
Senior Member
 
Dennis A. Livesey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,985
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnohallman

No capital letters . . .
Great pictures, BTW!

Jon
Thanks. (The brain refuses to remember and I fixed it.)

And thanks for the compliment!
__________________
Dennis

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 03:32 AM   #12
Freericks
Met Fan
 
Freericks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,040
Default

Dennis,

Did you change the first link? If not, I think that picture was in from the beginning. That's not a link to a rejection. That's a link to a picture in the DB.

Charles
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 03:51 AM   #13
Dennis A. Livesey
Senior Member
 
Dennis A. Livesey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,985
Default

Charles

It was definitely on the reject list but the screeners changed their minds.

Works for me!

I corrected the link.
__________________
Dennis

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 04:59 AM   #14
Walter S
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 1,023
Send a message via AIM to Walter S
Default

Image © Dennis A. Livesey
PhotoID: 268148
Photograph © Dennis A. Livesey


Much, Much better! Congrats!
Walter S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 05:14 AM   #15
Dennis A. Livesey
Senior Member
 
Dennis A. Livesey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,985
Default

Yes, both got in!

Yippee!

I want to thank all of you for the suggestions. It made the difference.

Chris, particularly I thank you because you made me rethink the overhead shot. I got rid of the circular tank and went monochrome.

A record day, I got in six shots.

I'm going to bed now.
__________________
Dennis

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 01:19 PM   #16
CG_F45
Senior Member
 
CG_F45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 413
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis A. Livesey

Chris, particularly I thank you because you made me rethink the overhead shot. I got rid of the circular tank and went monochrome.
Glad to see that great shot get in... congrats!!
__________________
Chris G

My photos at RailPictures.Net
CG_F45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.