Old 04-30-2005, 12:15 AM   #1
Chris Wilson

Send a message via MSN to Chris Wilson
Default Thanks to the crew and the members of RP's

Hello all,

My photography has come a long way over the year 2005. I have learned several new techniques to edit and make the pictures look better. The screeners have been excellent at acepting several of my pictures and giving me a hand in editing them or fixing them up to get into the gallery. Most of all alot of members have said if the picture could use some editing or just say the hell with it and use it for something else.

My old camera was just a simple Fuji A200, look at my pictures up until Feburary 2nd, 2005. That camera was just point and shoot and the size of the palm of my hand. haha It did do a good job from Christmas 2002 until then. My new camera is a Fuji S5100 and I just love it dearly. Look at some of the pictures I have. Some of my new camera images can even be compared to my older camera and you can see the differnce.

Some of the pictures I do not get on RailPictures.net I will post to my website (www.trainweb.org/cprnosa) and then onto www.railroadforums.com

Anywase, I just wanted to thank all of you for your help and comments!

P.S. If any of you wonder why a great number of my shots are from MP 63, that is because my house is right there and I get lazy. Sometimes when I have to go to work I will just shoot at MP 63 or around there. I really like to take sideshots to model in train-sim and personal rolling stock images. Most of the time now I try to stick away from there and go to a rock cut. If any of you wonder where my area is, visit http://www.trainweb.org/cprnosa/location.htm

Another big thanks!
Old 04-30-2005, 05:28 AM   #2
ssw9662

My thanks go to Railpictures and their screeners for helping to improve my photography as well.

I've learned several things from my rejections, and I see a big difference in my photography.

Thanks guys!
Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
Canon 50mm f/1.8
My Railpictures.net Photos
flickr
ssw9662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 07:41 AM   #3
RJSorensen

Yep . . . makes you look at your stuff in a new light for sure.

Please click here should you wish to view a portion of my railroad photography . . .
RJSorensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 02:55 PM   #4
Joe the Photog

You either look at your photography in a different light..... or you start an "anti-railpictures" YahooGroup and put anyone who doesn't agree with your rants on moderated status..

Uhm..... not naming names here..

LOL

Joe H.
Old 04-30-2005, 04:32 PM   #5
Donna

Thumbs up

I have found it makes you stop and plan out where you are going to stand and how you want to approach your next picture. Someone else criticing your photos only helps you learn more about the art of photography, if you have an open mind and a sense of humor.
Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 09:59 PM   #6
SD70MAC
HOBO

I agree...I have seen big improvements on my photography from the help of this site. Made me try new things and experiment a little. Thanks!
SD70MAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 03:07 AM   #7
railfanzone

It's very refreshing seeing that the screening process is making folks look at their own work critically. I've been doing it for many years - I'm my own worst critic, and I'm never happy with my work. This is usually the hardest thing to get across to new photographers - to look at your own work through the eyes of others, not your own. If you look at your photos through your own eyes, emotion will get in the way, and the minute someone speaks critically of your work, in this case the screeners, your ego gets hurt. I never take a rejection from RP.net personally, but I can't say that I've changed my style based on the rejections any more than I've changed from rejections from Trains or CTC Board. Where I have reaped some learnings from is open forums with a diverse membership such as Railroadforums.com - there seems to be less whining about "why didn't my shot get accepted" (or worse, the chorus of "great shot") over there, and some actual feedback, criticism & conversation.

I post my photos to the web for 2 main reasons - 1. I enjoy sharing my view of railroads with people, but secondly, and most importantly for me, I want to see my work through as many other sets of eyes as possible. I want to hear from those people what they like and don't like about my photos. I'm not going to change my overall style to get accepted to this, or any other site or publication, or change based on their criticisms, but I can grow from them. There is a difference.

But that's just me. Your mileage may vary.

-Tom

Flickr stuff - http://www.flickr.com/photos/nanosphoto/
My Railpictures.net Photos
My published photo portfolio
My one photo on JetPhotos.net
railfanzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 11:54 PM   #8
JButler

Joe the Photog wrote,
"You either look at your photography in a different light..... or you start an "anti-railpictures" YahooGroup"

Wow, a Yahoo group just for bitter people!? I disagree with the screeners a lot, and give RP only so so credit for improving rail photography, but creating a group just to complain about a site you actually have to opt in to.....someone has a lot of spare time. (I did check out the group after Joe's post, I'll pass)
I've posted my gripes here a time or two and haven't been kicked out yet, so I think I'll hang around. I guess I'm not bitter enough yet.

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!
JButler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 11:57 PM   #9
SD70MAC
HOBO

You know whats funny? Its someone who still continues to upload there photos here.
Old 05-03-2005, 03:20 AM   #10
Chris Starnes
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD70MAC
You know whats funny? Its someone who still continues to upload there photos here.
Yeah, I find that interesting as well

Seriously though, thanks for the comments. Its good to hear a few nice (or neutral in Jim's case ) words now and then. We may disagree sometimes but at the end of the day just remember this is a hobby for all of us and its not worth getting worked up over...
Old 05-03-2005, 08:24 PM   #11
oltmannd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog
You either look at your photography in a different light..... or you start an "anti-railpictures" YahooGroup and put anyone who doesn't agree with your rants on moderated status..

Uhm..... not naming names here..

LOL

Joe H.
There actually is one! I thought you were joking.....

Life is wierder than fiction.

-Don
oltmannd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 01:57 AM   #12
nsnscalerailfan

Send a message via AIM to nsnscalerailfan
Thumbs up

I've noticed improvements in my work as well. I now use some better angles and I only go out with decent lighting conditions (every now and then an exception). That was the key for me....... Proper exposure and lighting. It has inspired me to go to new locations, try new things, improve and best of all share. I now understand most of my rejections.
nsnscalerailfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 04:25 PM   #13
Chris Kilroy
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Chris Kilroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JButler
Joe the Photog wrote,
"You either look at your photography in a different light..... or you start an "anti-railpictures" YahooGroup"
I prefer to call it the "We know we're not good enough to get our pics on, so we'll bitch about it instead" Yahoo Group.

Seriously, though, thanks for the nice comments guys!
- View My Photos at JetPhotos.Net!
Chris Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 01:25 AM   #14
trainmonster

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Kilroy
I prefer to call it the "We know we're not good enough to get our pics on, so we'll bitch about it instead" Yahoo Group.

Seriously, though, thanks for the nice comments guys!
Geez... I ain't got the energy for that.

If there is *one thing* that RP has helped me improve, it's looking for more creative locations and taking time to set up, when before I might do it all slapdashed and hurried. However, I still go out in all conditions-if I didn't around here, I'd never get any shots. If you total out the absolute perfect days with no clouds, that's maybe 5-10 days out of the year here. (Central Pa.)

I finally figured it out: Trains are tough! Finding a creative location, getting the light you want, getting weather good enough to shoot in, taking a shot that's gonna stand out from the standard issue 3/4-it's not easy. So when one *is* good and gets on here, that's a good feeling.

I'm not happy with rejected photos either, so if I still want to share them, I put them on unmoderated site(s). That doesn't mean that they aren't good-I wouldn't share the losers (IMO) at all.

Rich

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!
trainmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 01:55 AM   #15
Ween

Any success I can claim in this hobby is directly linked to this site and the people who contribute to it and make it possible. Since I took that first shot back in Dec '03 with my Nikon CoolPix 2100, I have been able to advance in this hobby far faster via this website and people's inputs here than I would have if I had not had this type of help.

For all the negative energy toward RP.net, I'm sure there are far more people who, whether they openly admit it or not, are better at this hobby because of this site and the people who contribute...
Old 05-05-2005, 05:26 AM   #16
SD70MAC
HOBO

I agree Ween. I was looking at my pics from my first accepted photo till now I see a huge diffrence its unbelievable.
Old 05-06-2005, 05:25 AM   #17
RJSorensen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD70MAC

I did not get this at first . . . but I think I do now.

Please click here should you wish to view a portion of my railroad photography . . .
RJSorensen is offline   Reply With Quote