Old 07-24-2018, 11:36 PM   #1
spacetrain1983

Default Double upload apparently...?

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...31&key=7742184
Rejected for being a double upload despite me having never even submitted this shot to the database as far as I can remember. I DID, however, once submit another photo of the same train taken earlier (it was rejected).
Old 07-24-2018, 11:49 PM   #2
miningcamper1

Some rejections are head-scratchers.
I like it, although I certainly would have made the antenna that's growing out of the lead unit disappear!

On second look, could use a bit more sharpening IMO.

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/

Last edited by miningcamper1; 07-25-2018 at 12:14 AM. Reason: addition
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 12:38 AM   #3
Joseph Cermak

Yeah I think it's a decent shot overall. If you know it wasn't a double upload then either try and appeal or better yet, just fix that antenna and a little sharpening and resubmit with a note saying that you don't have an accepted shot of this train/location. Errors happen, whether it was thought to be a double upload or simply the wrong rejection selected.
Joseph Cermak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 08:59 PM   #4
OBrian Harmon

It seems like they probably meant to reject it for similar to previous based off what you said. Take advantage of the comments to screeners box like Joseph said. I did a quick edit for you with the antenna, perhaps give that a try? Either way, good luck, I think it's a pretty decent shot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	UP7002 .jpg
Views:	151
Size:	720.6 KB
ID:	9643  
OBrian Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 09:11 PM   #5
Chris Kilroy
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Chris Kilroy

Looks like a slip of the finger (happens occasionally as the boxes for each rejection reason are very close together).

That said, to me it looks soft, a little bit underexposed, and that PTC antenna growing out of the roof of the cab isn't doing the shot any favors, especially when it could have so easily been avoided.
- View My Photos at JetPhotos.Net!
Chris Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 09:55 PM   #6
OBrian Harmon

Now that Chris mentioned it, I'm curious, what kind of equipment do you use if you don't mind me asking? Because a lot of your shots seem to be suffer from that issue. On a nice sunny day like in your shot, you should be able to stick with ISO 100 and produce decent shots.
Old 07-26-2018, 12:25 AM   #7
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBrian Harmon View Post
Now that Chris mentioned it, I'm curious, what kind of equipment do you use if you don't mind me asking? Because a lot of your shots seem to be suffer from that issue. On a nice sunny day like in your shot, you should be able to stick with ISO 100 and produce decent shots.
If you mean the softness or underexposure, yes, I think these have been issues for him before....although this effort looks a lot less underexposed than previous submissions. If I recall correctly, I think he's using some type of point-and-shoot camera and he doesn't have full control over the settings.

Certainly, there are a number of things to check. Shutter speed would be at the top of the list. Autofocus would be another. I had a Nikon DSLR which experienced AF problems a few years back. My recommendation to Spacetrain remains unchanged. I would look around for a used DSLR. Older models can be had pretty cheaply and would give him the control he needs to get better. I'd also recommend shooting ISO 200 vs. 100. The difference is virtually indistinguishable from a quality standpoint, but it would give him a stop worth of options with regard to shutter and aperture. In bright sun at ISO 200, I'd be at 1/640th and f/8, or even 1/800th and f/8 if it were really bright. Shutter speeds like that should stop a train very nicely unless it's right on top of you.....in which case, you're too close!

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 03:38 AM   #8
OBrian Harmon

Kevin, yes, I was mostly getting at the underexposure, but I agree about the softness in the rejection also. I bet its safe to say that many (if not most of us) have used or started out with simpler cameras, like P&S's, but can still get pretty good results with the right editing.

I have been able to get several images accepted with a Coolpix, before I got my D3200:

Spacetrain, I'm not sure of your circumstances outside the hobby, but if your limited with what you can do with your camera, try to use your phone to get by for the time being?

I've managed to get a couple shots on from my phone, for example:

Image © OBrian Harmon
PhotoID: 606729
Photograph © OBrian Harmon

Image © OBrian Harmon
PhotoID: 625308

Image © OBrian Harmon
PhotoID: 623881