Old 08-03-2005, 11:04 PM   #1
cblaz

Default Another Good Ol' High Sun Rejection

Hey all,

I usually take my rejections and move on, but this one has me puzzled and I wanted to get some more freeback on it. I submitted this shot and it was rejected twice for high sun and an appeal was also rejected. I know this shot was taken in high sun, because I took it at 2PM in June in Alabama. However, since it was high sun, I used the overpass so that the trucks would not show. I feel that this shot came out pretty well for that time of day, with no major shadows visible on the loco. Let me know what you think, and thanks in advance for your thoughts.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=151895

- Christopher Blaszczyk
cblaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 11:30 PM   #2
Ween

Looks like the details of this shot were discussed when your brother (?) asked about a rejection at the same spot:

http://www.railpictures.net/forums/s...ead.php?t=2067
Old 08-03-2005, 11:34 PM   #3
ME 488

Quote:
Originally Posted by cblaz

I know this shot was taken in high sun, because I took it at 2PM in June in Alabama. However, since it was high sun, I used the overpass so that the trucks would not show. I feel that this shot came out pretty well for that time of day, with no major shadows visible on the loco.
But shadows are visible on the trucks of the cars to the right of the train, (not that that really matters). The lighting would have been pefect if the sun had just been lower, since there are no shadows on either side of the train. It is a good shot though, even if it won't make it to Railpics.
Old 08-04-2005, 12:45 AM   #4
BNSF7687
Banned

I'd be more worried about bad cropping and unlevel horizon. The train isn't centered and the photo is leaning to the right.

As to High Sun, the only thing I could possibly see is the shadow of the snowplow upon itself, but if that's the reason for the "high sun" rejection, I'm about to laugh.
BNSF7687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 04:09 AM   #5
hoydie17
We Own The Night...

Send a message via AIM to hoydie17 Send a message via Yahoo to hoydie17
Default It's not just about the trucks.

Keep in mind, a "high sun angle" isn't just about trucks. The catwalk decks on the sides of locomotives overhang several inches on all sides, including the front and back. So a high sun angle will make them cast shadows on everything below them.

In this picture, the forward deck over the pilot is casting some nasty shadows over the plow and the MU connections.

Also, while the sun is good, this one because it looks like one of those FURX motors with the shiny silver paint, it almost causes a glare. This causes the shadows on the front of the engine to stand out even more by contrast.

Just my thoughts.

Or if you want to see my work here at RP.net? Click here.

"It's just a damn train son!"
hoydie17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 04:23 AM   #6
cmherndon
Banned

Send a message via AIM to cmherndon Send a message via Yahoo to cmherndon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoydie17
Keep in mind, a "high sun angle" isn't just about trucks. The catwalk decks on the sides of locomotives overhang several inches on all sides, including the front and back. So a high sun angle will make them cast shadows on everything below them...Also, while the sun is good, this one because it looks like one of those FURX motors with the shiny silver paint, it almost causes a glare. This causes the shadows on the front of the engine to stand out even more by contrast.
That's a good way to look at it. Also, take a look a few cars back and how they'll almost blind someone. The shot's not overexposed, but the high sun kind of makes it look that way.
cmherndon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 12:45 PM   #7
JButler

Nice shot, lame rejection.

Jim B.
JButler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 09:38 PM   #8
ccaranna

Pardon me for being so negative, but there are many things affecting this photo's acceptance, along with the harsh light that washes out all of the color and depth right out of the scene. The fact that the asphalt on the left is faded is not helping create any contrast here either.

I think "bad angle" and/or "horizon unlevel" would have been appropriate rejections as well in my opinion- though it would probably still get rejected if it was level. I have found (for the most part- becuase there are always exceptions...) that shots taken from above at a straight-on angle have to perfectly lined up, or they have to be shot from a slight angle off to the side. It's an all-or-nothing proposition.

I would try going back to this spot earlier in the day or later in the evening, and try again.

Good Luck!!
ccaranna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 05:33 PM   #9
chris crook

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmherndon
The shot's not overexposed, but the high sun kind of makes it look that way.
If there is no information in the highlights, it is overexposed. As those white cars behind the power attest. You can't see the doors on the top of the cars= incorrect exposure.

Flickr: Armco_block
chris crook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 11:29 PM   #10
mtrails

Quote:
Originally Posted by cblaz
I usually take my rejections and move on, but this one has me puzzled and I wanted to get some more freeback on it. I submitted this shot and it was rejected twice for high sun and an appeal was also rejected.
Quote:
I feel that this shot came out pretty well for that time of day, with no major shadows visible on the loco. Let me know what you think, and thanks in advance for your thoughts.
If you don't mind sacrificing some of the content in the photo (i.e. bridge and beyond, plus some of the railcars on the right), it might help. Play with the lighting and contrast a little, maybe nudge some more saturation in there, or just flip it to B/W. Just MHO.

For shot's like that, It may also be necessary to crop it right near the loco, like this photo: If you notice, the lighting is almost identical, as evident by the shadow on the plow, and on the ground.

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©
mtrails is offline   Reply With Quote