Old 10-09-2005, 03:18 PM   #1
ReadingRN

Default Need a few opinions

This photo was rejected for not having enough light, but I think that the absence of some light adds more to the photo, as does the rain. Should have I appealed or left it for my personal collection?

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=172735

I am nowhere near being an expert in photography, so I may be way off with this one. Thanks to anyone who can help.

Bryan

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!

Last edited by ReadingRN; 10-09-2005 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Still learning what I'm doing
ReadingRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 08:31 PM   #2
Joe the Photog

I like the shot. I think the darkness sets a mood to it. It looks cold and wet. I like the light on the side of the train and trailing down to the ties on the outside of the track nearest us.

However, I'm confused a to the light between the ditch lights. Is that lens reflection? Or an actual light? There's also some blue object to the right of the train that seems to be a blue pixel. I get those with my 300D from time to time esp. if I expose the shot for more than 30 seconds. It doesn't happen all of the time or even half, but enough to royally irk me off.

Outside of the picture, how did this one get the horsehead treatment? Was there a wreck or a fir or something at some point to this one?

Joe H.
Old 10-09-2005, 09:21 PM   #3
JButler

Some low light shots, like this one, look really cool. With the low ambient light, the reflcetions and headlights reaaly stand out. I think it adds interest.
Nice shot.

JButler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 09:59 PM   #4
J. E. Landrum
RailPictures.Net Crew

Try fixing some of the flare issues and you have a good case. I like the overall look of it.
J. E. Landrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 11:53 PM   #5
ReadingRN

My appeal was rejected. The bad thing is that I don't have photoshop. Also, I took this photo at 9 o'clock at night WITHOUT the flash. It took about 30 seconds for the camera to take the photo and for some reason the camera brightened everything up. Does anyone have an idea as to why the camera did that. I think it's cool, but how did my camera do that? It's only a small R707 HP Photosmart digital camera, yet it did that to the photo (plus the seven other photos). Thanks for the advice.

Bryan

Old 10-10-2005, 12:17 AM   #6
Ween

Quote:
I'm confused a to the light between the ditch lights. Is that lens reflection? Or an actual light?
Alot of units have that little light there. Perhaps it's a walkway/safety light? These are some wide-cab GE shots where you can see it:

Image © Chris Paulhamus
PhotoID: 117675
Photograph © Chris Paulhamus

Image © Chris Paulhamus
PhotoID: 115611

Image © Chris Paulhamus
PhotoID: 115423

As for the original topic: I like the photo and I like the mood, unfortunately, there's a significant amount of noise around the pilot area. Too much ISO, perhaps?
Old 10-10-2005, 05:35 AM   #7
Slopes09

Send a message via AIM to Slopes09

Run it through despeckle. I shot high ISO when I was shooting the homecoming assemblies at school. I just ran them through despeckle and they looked as good as new. I don't have Photoshop either, I use the GIMP(which is rather ironic right now considering that I'm on crutches). It has a lot of Photoshop like features. Its a very good program considering its free.
http://www.gimp.org/
Slopes09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 07:37 AM   #8
trainmonster

Exclamation

This is a really neat shot! The trouble is, it was not saved at the highest quality 'cause it is full of artifacts. The best save quality would take care of that.

Here is my take on what I would do with it: Crop more proportionally. (dead space on bottom and left) B&W converted in Photoshop with special filter. (gets rid of the bizarre colors) Used healing brush to take care of the blue thingie that you had. Then I ran it through Neat Image. (gets rid of the noise and artifacts)

Maybe it'll get accepted thisaway-even if it doesn't, you've got a nice one for your archive!

Rich
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HPIM10041.jpg (173.0 KB, 178 views)
Old 10-11-2005, 02:29 PM   #9
ReadingRN

Thanks a lot for the help. The photo was again rejected for being too dark. I appealed but that didn't work. But at least I have a great photo out of it. Even though it was rejected here, I think this one is one of my best ever. Hey, did anyone happen to notice the UP engine in the background? I didn't either until I loaded it onto Railpics. It was hidden in the darkness. The last rejected photo is on the link.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=173438

Thanks for your help!

Bryan

Last edited by ReadingRN; 10-11-2005 at 02:31 PM. Reason: Forgot something