Old 08-09-2011, 05:31 AM   #1
IHapsias

Default High Sun, Cropping, Blurry, Unlevel, Poor Lighting (Backlit)

The screeners really are sticking the reject button on me that's for a fact.

What are your opinions on the unlevel, blurry rejection? I see no blur and I cannot figure out where they want it leveled. I tried the train, then the background building. no luck.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...key=1304923059
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=267391493

This one I strongly dis-agree with. High Sun, Bad Cropping and Horizon Unlevel. 5:30 does not fall under high sun and the trucks are lit. Opinions?

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=433292230

Then I have a poor lighting rejection which I dis-agree on also.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=802605050

The train isn't horribly back lit to a point that its atrocious. The train works well with the scene in my opinion. But whats yours?

Thank you for your opinions, etc.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:09 AM   #2
Amtrakdavis22

First shot is blurry or maybe not in focus. Whatever it is, it does not look good. It's also leaning left quite a bit. Those sky scrapers have a much better chance of being level than the train which leans both ways on the tracks.

Second one do not seem to be high sun but is a roster shot. Unless you got a roster shot of a train from mars, it won't get on. The new paint looks good, but get an interesting shot, with new paint.

Last one is back lit. The skyline is nice but it's been completely washed out by hard back light. Cool train, nice skyline... but remember Peter Lik doesn't take a gallery shot without good light.

JT

Flickr

RailPictures.Net
RailVideos.Net

Youtube Videos
Amtrakdavis22.com

"Love the sound of that shutter!" -Peter Lik
Amtrakdavis22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 06:15 AM   #3
stlgevo51

First two: The train and building are definitely leaning to the left. Also, the train is a little blurry, maybe out of focus. The second one is better, but still a little undersharpened.

NS shot: I don't see the high sun, but the shiny paint might be throwing the screener off. I don't think you will have a big deal with that. But, the engine is leaning to the right. Fix that and then we will see about the cropping.

Last shot: I don't know. I can't give you a bit of advice about the leveling, since I don't know what to say about it. But I personally don't like the cropping. There is nothing of interest on the right hand side of the image.
Youtube Videos
stlgevo51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 07:14 AM   #4
nikos1

First one is blurry, second one is unlevel but definetly not high sun. Third one idk, its interesting but yes it is backlit.

Wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=7861

More wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://nikos1.rrpicturearchives.net/

Video wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's
http://youtube.com/profile?user=nikosjk1
nikos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 11:16 AM   #5
JRMDC

First: like everyone said, but I am curious, what do you think you leveled on? As neither one has any particular evidence that it was leveled on anything ...

Second, just reprocess it, it is dark. I opened up levels, moved the middle slider to 1.2, increased brightness and contrast, and it looked a lot better. That isn't the correct setting, just my initial experiment. Just spend more time on it, and look at that histogram. Attached is an initial take on it, not a final take.

Third, it sort of looks like you intentionally selected the skyline and then removed the contrast. I would focus on the main "poor lighting" rejection and don't think about backlit and so forth. The shot just looks weird.

BTW, just how often does PRR 5711 appear in that spot? Is that a regularly scheduled train? If you want to challenge yourself as a photographer, come on down here, I can find you an engine or two that you can shoot every day. They might be just a bit rusty and patched up, but that is the whole point, you are just getting spoiled with that E all the time!

On a more serious note, they did such a nice paint job on those units, it seems like a shame to me to shoot so much BW, that power has some glorious color. My tastes only.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1129b.jpg (270.0 KB, 169 views)

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots

Last edited by JRMDC; 08-09-2011 at 11:31 AM.
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 12:20 PM   #6
IHapsias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amtrakdavis22 View Post
First shot is blurry or maybe not in focus. Whatever it is, it does not look good. It's also leaning left quite a bit. Those sky scrapers have a much better chance of being level than the train which leans both ways on the tracks.

Second one do not seem to be high sun but is a roster shot. Unless you got a roster shot of a train from mars, it won't get on. The new paint looks good, but get an interesting shot, with new paint.

Last one is back lit. The skyline is nice but it's been completely washed out by hard back light. Cool train, nice skyline... but remember Peter Lik doesn't take a gallery shot without good light.

JT
The E unit is not in focus, as its focused on the building behind it.

As for the roster shot

here's an older one of mine that is in the DB.

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©
Old 08-09-2011, 12:27 PM   #7
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHapsias View Post
If your intent was to blur the E, you didn't blur it near enough.

Amtrakdavis is wrong about rosters, I think.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 08-09-2011, 02:51 PM   #8
chench1536

Quote:
And you're confused about the blurry rejection? Ok then...

In seriousness, do you have any shots of the first with the E Unit in focus? If not, I'm just curious as to why you decided to focus on the buildings and not the train.
chench1536 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 03:59 PM   #9
PLEzero

Quote:

This one I strongly dis-agree with. High Sun, Bad Cropping and Horizon Unlevel. 5:30 does not fall under high sun and the trucks are lit. Opinions?

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=433292230
It needs a CCW rotation. Look at the cab lines, they are not vertical. It also needs some shadow highlight, the fresh black paint usually does not have enough contrast and makes it appear to be 'high sun'.
My RP.net Photos
PLEzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 04:01 PM   #10
IHapsias

Quote:
Originally Posted by chench1536 View Post
And you're confused about the blurry rejection? Ok then...

In seriousness, do you have any shots of the first with the E Unit in focus? If not, I'm just curious as to why you decided to focus on the buildings and not the train.
Every vertical the camera did not focus on the train. It focused on the background.

Only horizontal's are in focus on the E unit.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:02 PM   #11
IHapsias

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLEzero View Post
It needs a CCW rotation. Look at the cab lines, they are not vertical. It also needs some shadow highlight, the fresh black paint usually does not have enough contrast and makes it appear to be 'high sun'.
GIMP 2 doesn't have shadow highlight unfortunately.

Attached is another photo with the skyline. Though to me its way too "busy" of a scene, and takes your eyes off the train.

Picture 1 is the shot I prefer, which depicts a much more calm, peaceful scene. While picture 2 seems bustling with activity with all the lights, tripod flashes, etc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 603.JPG (678.6 KB, 145 views)
File Type: jpg 607.JPG (708.2 KB, 133 views)

Last edited by IHapsias; 08-09-2011 at 04:13 PM.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:30 PM   #12
EMTRailfan

Location: I can be found railfanning the abandoned B&O Northern Sub.

I like the horizontal crop of your last 2 attachments. But, look at the supports for the Amtrak canopy. Stretch those puppies out so the are plum like the UPMC building is. The right side of the loco also has this leaning appearance, which above should fix that too.
Old 08-11-2011, 03:16 AM   #13
IHapsias

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=872225782

Still unlevel, I leveled it off of the bridge foundation in the background. I still do not understand how it is blurry. Is it possible the screener or screener's are looking at the UPMC and seeing the results from the exposure and the light coming off the illuminated letters as blurry?
Old 08-11-2011, 03:27 AM   #14
stlgevo51

The train is out of focus, that's why it's blurry. Level off of the train, I guess. I agree with the screener, it is unlevel.
Youtube Videos
stlgevo51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 03:29 AM   #15
JRMDC

Quote:
Still unlevel, I leveled it off of the bridge foundation in the background.
Look, you are not seeing the obvious. If you are level (vertical) on the left margin but waaaaaay unlevel on the right margin, you are not level. Either you find a pleasant compromise, where something at or near the middle is properly level/vertical, or you do a perspective adjustment.

Even the right edge of the US Steel building is not vertical, only the left edge. By the time you get to the right side of the image, where the engine is, you are not even close.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 08-11-2011, 12:55 PM   #16
NathanAirChime

The image is just to blurry for any rotation fix... no matter what you focused on... even a desperate move to convert the image to B&W just to get it on RP wont work on this one... they will be back in town again... just redo the shot then if you like it that much
NathanAirChime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:05 PM   #17
JimThias

Quote:
Every vertical the camera did not focus on the train. It focused on the background.

Ian, can you translate what that post means?

Quote:
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=872225782

Still unlevel, I leveled it off of the bridge foundation in the background. I still do not understand how it is blurry. Is it possible the screener or screener's are looking at the UPMC and seeing the results from the exposure and the light coming off the illuminated letters as blurry?
First of all, try leveling it off the verticals on the NOSE of the locomotive. Secondly, how can you not understand how it's blurry? Perhaps you didn't get a good focus on it at the time of the shot. Look at it. The nose of the locomotive is blurry.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 11:38 PM   #18
asis80

Send a message via AIM to asis80

What he said. I can't believe you can't see the blurry on this one. Just look at the PRR symbol on the nose. Save up for that tripod instead of using my POS standby tripod and redo it (if you can get a ride) when they come back in a couple months. And like tom said..don't try a BW on this one then come here racking your brain saying you don't see blurry

Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanAirChime View Post
The image is just to blurry for any rotation fix... no matter what you focused on... even a desperate move to convert the image to B&W just to get it on RP wont work on this one... they will be back in town again... just redo the shot then if you like it that much
Old 08-13-2011, 01:19 AM   #19
DWHonan

Quote:

This is what happens when you let your gear think for you. Once that "coming soon" so broadly advertised in your signature comes to pass, you'll be able to pre-focus on the subject, set the lens to MF and then compose the final image without having to worry about the camera deciding it wants to focus at infinity.
View my portfolio at Flickr Not quite so new anymore!
DWHonan is offline   Reply With Quote