Old 04-20-2007, 01:59 AM   #1
John Fladung
JohnFladung.net

Thumbs up Safeco Field

Watching my beloved Minnesota Twins take on the Seattle Mariners, I am really enjoying how you can hear a train every so often. Would this be the Sound Transit line I am hearing?
John Fladung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 02:26 AM   #2
Frederick

At the beginning of the game, they showed a train with an ex-BN unit in the lead.

Flickr Account
Frederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 02:29 AM   #3
Railfan Ohio

You might be hearing the BNSF, though I'm not quite sure. And usually I would get on you about being a Twins fan, as I like the Indians, but not today after that game.

B&O: the First, the Best
Pennsy: the Standard, but still #2

My pix:http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=11344
Railfan Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 03:24 AM   #4
Jaypee_Logger
Blasting over a red flag.

Send a message via MSN to Jaypee_Logger Send a message via Yahoo to Jaypee_Logger

thats the BNSF and amtrak runs on it too. ive been to safco field and it is cool hearing the trains go by during the game. kinda sucks after the game and 20,000 people are trying to get over the tracks when a slow moving 110 car grain train is rolling by.
Old 04-20-2007, 03:30 AM   #5
SD70MACMAN
The man with the plan

Send a message via AIM to SD70MACMAN

BNSF's main line south out of Interbay and Amtrak & Sound Transit passengers to King Street Station (a block north) run under the Safeco Field roof. Switchers and light locos also go between Interbay and the container yards in the South of Downtown (SODO) district. Actually, a new 4-track grade crossing was just installed and opened in the last couple of weeks.

Its quite a nice distraction when the M's are playing really lousy and you're at the game. During the 2001 All-Star game in Seattle, MLB asked BNSF to stop honking their horns during the game and BNSF basically said "f you" for 45,000+ safety reasons. T

The train horns add something unique to the baseball experience at Safeco. If you get a chance, catch a game there! Go Mariners!

UP's new slogan for Amtrak:
"We'll help you spread you wings and fly right into a siding!"

TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS!!! May the fun never end!
I'm a traitor! Im on JP.net! But all my plane shots involve trains!

BN FOREVER!

Last edited by SD70MACMAN; 04-20-2007 at 03:34 AM.
SD70MACMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 07:32 AM   #6
jdirelan87

Kinda the same thing in da 'Brugh. The Fort Wanye Line (old PRR main to Chicago) passes about a block from PNC Park. Most trains get loud as they pass the ballpark. Also, if youre in the upper deck you can see the CSX Pittsburgh Sub about a mile away right next to The Point.

Pirate regulations states you do the come back train chat everytime you hear a horn when the Pirates are losing. This rule comes into play alot cause 1) there are alot of trains and 2) the Pirates are almost always on the short end of the score.
jdirelan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 03:02 PM   #7
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdirelan87
Also, if youre in the upper deck you can see the CSX Pittsburgh Sub about a mile away right next to The Point.
I presume you mean across the river from the Point, not right next to it.

Boy, the Pirates are struggling a bit, in a year when they were expected to finally rise a bit.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 07:03 PM   #8
ssw9662

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC
Boy, the Pirates are struggling a bit, in a year when they were expected to finally rise a bit.
Hey, it could be worse, you could always be a Phillies fan (Thankfully I'm not)!

Back to the subject, I found what appears to be a decent shot from the Clemente Bridge of the Fort Wayne Line, though I wasn't able to get a really good look so I'm not sure (Plus I'm sure you can only get it if you're just going to/coming back from a game).
Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
Canon 50mm f/1.8
My Railpictures.net Photos
flickr

Last edited by ssw9662; 04-20-2007 at 07:10 PM.
ssw9662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 11:02 PM   #9
jdirelan87

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssw9662
Hey, it could be worse, you could always be a Phillies fan (Thankfully I'm not)!

Back to the subject, I found what appears to be a decent shot from the Clemente Bridge of the Fort Wayne Line, though I wasn't able to get a really good look so I'm not sure (Plus I'm sure you can only get it if you're just going to/coming back from a game).

The angle of the Clemente/10th Street Bridge isn't as good as it seems. While it looks good with no train on it, there is a metal railing that goes up about 10 feet past rail level. Thus, the bottom 2/3 of the train is blocked when a train is on the bridge.

As for the comment about The Point; correct, it is across the river from Point Park. I guess I should have clarified, from the perspective of the left field upper next, it looks right next to The Point.
jdirelan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 11:45 PM   #10
JRMDC

Quote:

As for the comment about The Point; correct, it is across the river from Point Park. I guess I should have clarified, from the perspective of the left field upper next, it looks right next to The Point.
Have you brought a tele to a game? Do you have a pic you can attach here? That would be cool!

Funny that we are talking about this, just last night I was watching my Pittsburgh Mainlines tape with my son. We watched the segment on that bridge, the one where the tracks are recessed down a bit so you don't see the entirety of the train.

And speaking of ball parks, that tape includes footage from the implosion of Three Rivers Stadium - neat stuff.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 12:02 AM   #11
ssw9662

Quote:
The angle of the Clemente/10th Street Bridge isn't as good as it seems. While it looks good with no train on it, there is a metal railing that goes up about 10 feet past rail level. Thus, the bottom 2/3 of the train is blocked when a train is on the bridge.
OK. The train I saw there was just NS engines leading a bunch of ethanol cars so it was tough to get a gauge for what was obstructed and what wasn't.
Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
Canon 50mm f/1.8
My Railpictures.net Photos
flickr

Last edited by ssw9662; 04-21-2007 at 12:05 AM. Reason: typos
ssw9662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 09:42 PM   #12
devights
Stephen De Vight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaypee_Logger
kinda sucks after the game and 20,000 people are trying to get over the tracks when a slow moving 110 car grain train is rolling by.
And that's why you should try and run across the tracks either right before the train gets there or right after without waiting to see if another trains is coming. It's really the only way to get across, and come on, the train will see you and stop, no matter how fast it's going. Don't believe the lies told by the railroad about how it takes so long to stop, it's really because they're greedy bastards who don't want to slow down and possibly loose money!

PS: If you can't guess I'm being sarcastic!
devights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 11:10 PM   #13
JimThias

I can't believe no one has posted an image in this thread yet.

Image © Daniel Putz
PhotoID: 157059
Photograph © Daniel Putz
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 11:52 PM   #14
SD70MACMAN
The man with the plan

Send a message via AIM to SD70MACMAN

FYI: the trains have moved from that track near the stadium (the one Amtrak is on) to the now complete 4 main tracks in the foreground.

UP's new slogan for Amtrak:
"We'll help you spread you wings and fly right into a siding!"

TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS!!! May the fun never end!
I'm a traitor! Im on JP.net! But all my plane shots involve trains!

BN FOREVER!
SD70MACMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 08:02 AM   #15
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD70MACMAN
FYI: the trains have moved from that track near the stadium (the one Amtrak is on) to the now complete 4 main tracks in the foreground.
Very cool. How about an updated pic?
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 09:14 AM   #16
nwrails

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD70MACMAN
At the moment, they've got one track connected at each end of the new alignment to bring in and out work equipment. Last I've heard, the rest will be connected later this year, possibly in the fall.

I believe they are still removing the old I-90 on ramp and they may have some more signal work to do. Somewhere in that area a new Control Point will be located also, CP Stadium.

Anyways, I think you should have picked a school that could have been a little closer to a little more mainline rail action. Your missing out on all the excitement, atleast when there's no rail traffic you can always watch track equipment go back and forth... Oh look another tamper!

Daniel
nwrails is offline   Reply With Quote