Old 08-05-2011, 08:29 PM   #1
chench1536

Default Soooooo........

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=511738664

Where do I go from here?
chench1536 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 09:01 PM   #2
BurghMan

There is no blanace in the shot. I'm not sure what you are going for but the whole right side of the photo is just trees. The bridge that you talk about in the remarks is barely visible. It also suffers from high sun and looks a little blurry.
BurghMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 09:02 PM   #3
jnohallman

About the only way I think you might have a chance is to ditch the right half of the photo and go with a portrait orientation. As it is, the train is just overwhelmed by the greenery and looks like an afterthought down there on the left hand side. By going to a portrait orientation, you still get the effect of the massiveness of the cliffs, but the greenery won't be so overwhelming. The question is whether your image quality will hold up to that much of a crop, and whether they'll then nail you for the train being cut off.

Jon

Click here to see my photos on RP.net!

Do not, under any circumstances whatsoever, click here. Don't even think about it. I'm warning you!
jnohallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 09:08 PM   #4
jnohallman

I'm thinking something like the attached.

Jon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9626_1312557268.jpg (104.4 KB, 156 views)

Click here to see my photos on RP.net!

Do not, under any circumstances whatsoever, click here. Don't even think about it. I'm warning you!
jnohallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 02:07 AM   #5
Dennis A. Livesey

I would say the screener said no because it did not confirm to the rule of thirds.

If the loco was in the same spot but going the other way...

Jon has one idea. I have this suggestion.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9626.1312557268.jpg (148.7 KB, 139 views)

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 02:19 AM   #6
JRMDC

Having seen the two attempts to do something with this shot, I say put it aside. But then I am not fond of shots where the entire content has that far-away feel, totally flat, no depth. Plus you still have some obstruction issues, and in general I don't much care for how the train sort of floats, not really anchored in its surroundings.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots

Last edited by JRMDC; 08-06-2011 at 02:21 AM.
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 02:56 AM   #7
Ron Flanary

It really doesn't violate the rule of thirds---but it's a little unconventional. Actually, I kind of like it.

Remember: if RP doesn't accept it, that means absolutely nothing one way or the other. It could still be an excellent photo. Conversely, if they do accept it, that doesn't guarantee it's a good photo. It merely means some screener at RP accepted it.

You can take that and one buck and still get a double cheeseburger at your local McDonald's.
Ron Flanary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 10:08 AM   #8
KevinM

Hi Chris,

Good seeing you out there last Sunday.

Of the various attempts, I prefer Dennis', but I'm still not convinced that RP will go for it because of the lighting.

I have a similar scene from up the road a piece, so my view was a little more front quarter and shows more of the Willey Brook Trestle and surrounding terrain. Unfortunately, the high sun look of the shot is what kept me from attempting anything with it. Most of this excursion occured during the worst times of the day. If they had been out on WB Trestle at 8 AM, THAT would have been a shot. As it was, the time was around noon and the light was pretty yucky. The light was even yuckier at Crawfords. With DST, the highest sun really occurs just after 1 PM around here. If they would have done this during the Railfan Week in September, conditions would have been somewhat better.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.

Last edited by KevinM; 08-06-2011 at 10:12 AM.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 03:59 PM   #9
chench1536

Looks like this one will go to the archives. The image quality is going south fast. You're right Kevin, they really should've been out earlier. Time to tackle other stuff!
chench1536 is offline   Reply With Quote