Old 07-22-2006, 02:47 AM   #1
FLODO

Default Suggestions please.

I need help. This was rejected due to backlit. I said the nose had an affect on the picture. Does anyone have suggestions on how to fix the nose.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2271.JPG (229.8 KB, 215 views)

Check out my photos at http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=7492

railpictures.net
FLODO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 02:57 AM   #2
VirginiaSouthern
Banned

Send a message via AIM to VirginiaSouthern Send a message via Yahoo to VirginiaSouthern

Unless you can magically fix the position of the sun in the photo, there is nothing you can do. Best to move on and try again another day.
VirginiaSouthern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 03:05 AM   #3
4kV

Location: Homeless, alcoholic drifter with no permanent address

If this would have been the first picture taken and uploaded of this unit, it would have been accepted. You can even have obstructions, crookedness, and shadows on it, in addition to the backlit nose. Just look at the first shot of the CNW or the DRGW. Unfortunately, the Katy unit is no longer on the site (or I just can't find it after looking for a while,) but that one was unlevel, had a light post in the way, and was front coupled. But alas, you were not first, so there is little you can do.

Click on n691lf.rrpicturearchives.net for a good laugh and waste of your time.

Last edited by 4kV; 07-22-2006 at 03:09 AM.
4kV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 03:08 AM   #4
FLODO

Ok. well what about this.

Beter?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2271.JPG (231.9 KB, 212 views)

railpictures.net
Old 07-22-2006, 03:10 AM   #5
4kV

Better, but it just looks artificial. Why not leave it the way it was, in it's natural setting?

Last edited by 4kV; 07-22-2006 at 03:16 AM.
Old 07-22-2006, 03:16 AM   #6
NicTrain35

I like the lightened version better, but the front looks kind of weird. I'm not sure, but it looks too greenish on the front.

My pictures at RP:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=3955
NicTrain35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 03:17 AM   #7
FLODO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4kV
Better, but it just looks artificial. Why not leave it the way it was, in it's natural setting?
Because I want it to be accepted.

railpictures.net
Old 07-22-2006, 03:20 AM   #8
4kV

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLODO
OK, that's what I thought. I wouldn't worry if it gets accepted or not. If you like it, that is what counts. Not to mention, this unit is going to be running up there for quite some time, and much better opportunities will come your way.

Old 07-22-2006, 03:27 AM   #9
VirginiaSouthern
Banned

Send a message via AIM to VirginiaSouthern Send a message via Yahoo to VirginiaSouthern

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLODO
What you want and what will happen are two different things. I suggest you try shooting for yourself first and not be so concerned if a photo gets on RP or not.
Old 07-22-2006, 03:31 AM   #10
VirginiaSouthern
Banned

I know this is a doublepost, but oh well.

Even if you could fix the nose (which frankly I think is a lost cause) the whole pic is a bit blurry or out of focus.
Old 07-22-2006, 03:37 AM   #11
a231pacific

Back lighting works in many situations, but this is a fairly ordinary 3/4 wedge shot where it doesn't. Also, to me the shot looks soft or out of focus. Trying to fake front light on a clearly back lit engine just looks odd and won't fool the screeners.

As was suggested by others, try again another day and shoot for your own enjoyment. When you get one that you feel good about, go ahead and submit it.

Michael Allen
a231pacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 03:39 AM   #12
FLODO

You guys are right. But their is still the fun of having it go through a tough process and getting up publically on a high rated website. Heck, you should see the origional of that picture. The one before the cropping (first post)

railpictures.net
Old 07-22-2006, 06:49 PM   #13
FLODO

Now it was rejected for bad angle.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=270450

railpictures.net
Old 07-22-2006, 06:59 PM   #14
Ween

Let it go then...
Old 07-22-2006, 07:53 PM   #15
Joe the Photog

The fact that this shot was rejected gives me renewed hope for this site. Because as much as I hate to sound like someone complaining about the shots that get into this database, there is absolutely no legitimate reason why the very first shot of the Up 1995 on this site got in. I don't care if it was RP's first shot of the database. I actually do think that first shots and newsowrthy sites should be given a little slack as was the case with the UP 1989. I think that shot was good and it should have been accepted. But the first shot of the CNW breaks alomost every rule that Railpictures has and yet, there it is.

Rant over. I'm taking a nap.

Joe
Old 07-22-2006, 07:57 PM   #16
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirginiaSouthern
Even if you could fix the nose (which frankly I think is a lost cause) the whole pic is a bit blurry or out of focus.
Thomas is right, but the shot also suffers from a grey, washed out sky, which can actually be two different things. It looks like it's leaning to the left, the train cut off a few cars behind the power which might not a rejectable reason, but there's also a lot of lead room between the front of the backlit loco and the left side of the frame.

Joe H.
Old 07-22-2006, 08:04 PM   #17
VirginiaSouthern
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog
Rant over. I'm taking a nap.
On a hot and hazy day like today that's not a bad idea.
Old 07-23-2006, 12:16 AM   #18
NicTrain35

Andrew,

I've had my photos rejected before for bad angle when I didn't have all of the train in the frame. I'd say that's why yours was rejected.

My pictures at RP:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=3955
NicTrain35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 02:50 PM   #19
ccaranna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog
Because as much as I hate to sound like someone complaining about the shots that get into this database, there is absolutely no legitimate reason why the very first shot of the Up 1995 on this site got in. I don't care if it was RP's first shot of the database. I actually do think that first shots and newsowrthy sites should be given a little slack as was the case with the UP 1989. I think that shot was good and it should have been accepted. But the first shot of the CNW breaks alomost every rule that Railpictures has and yet, there it is.
I agree with you for the most part after seeing the image. (this one, right?)

Image © Shane G Deemer
PhotoID: 98666
Photograph © Shane G Deemer

Just kidding! haha

All kidding aside, who would want to be the screener that rejected the very first decent shot of UP 1995 uploaded here? Yes, there's a really bad shadow across the rear, but for the most part, the shot gets the job done. We all know that there'd be nearly hundreds more shots of it in the weeks to come, but I still think it's important to have one up for viewing as soon as able. Granted, it appeared that a better roster of it was accepted the same day, but who knows when a better one would come along?

Remember that these celebratory paint schemes are extremely newsworthy. This is UP, right? I'm surprised that they even care about their predecessors.

Also, I don't follow UP, but aren't these special schemes limited to one unit for each paint job? More reason to accept the first picture of it with a flaw. It's a much bigger deal than let's say the first picture of an NS horsehead in which we have a good idea that there will be literally hundreds more units painted the same way eventually.

Anyway, not to always disagree with you Joe, but I think the site did the right thing by taking that first shot.
ccaranna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 03:06 PM   #20
a231pacific

Default Question for Chris Starnes

Newsworthy does not appear to be one of RP's stated goals, but there is that natural human desire to be the first to post a shot. Eventually the news goes stale but the photo lingers on in the data base.

This is addressed to Chris Starnes, how about a delete button where posters can delete shots that they later come to regret? I know the screeners are supposed to accept only the best, but they are human too and marginal stuff does get by sometimes.

I've got a couple of early submissions that I'd like to make go away. I'm sure others do to.

So, how about it?

Michael Allen
Old 07-23-2006, 03:17 PM   #21
ccaranna

Quote:
Originally Posted by a231pacific
I've got a couple of early submissions that I'd like to make go away. I'm sure others do to.
Which ones are they?

Agreed, I think I have about a dozen that make me cringe when I look at them. Hopefully, they'll "age", but several of them don't stand a chance.

Btw, Michael, (or is Mr. Allen? ) I really enjoy your pictures. Just about every one of my People's Choice has at least two of your photos in it!

Last edited by ccaranna; 07-23-2006 at 03:26 PM.
ccaranna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 03:56 PM   #22
a231pacific

Chuck,

I answer to Mike, Michael or Mr. Allen (Mr. Allen sounds so old, but unfortunately, I'm getting there!). Thanks for the kind words. You've posted some nice shots on the NS Sandusky division. I like it when scenic elements get included. I realize that's a challenge in Ohio! Hey, I'm from Michigan so I know!

Posting on RP is fun, but we all make mistakes from time to time! I've only been working with Photo Shop for a few months and I've learned quite a bit from these forums. A few earlier shots just don't measure up and I'm sure Chris can use the space!

Michael Allen
Old 07-23-2006, 07:39 PM   #23
Ween

Quote:
there is absolutely no legitimate reason why the very first shot of the Up 1995 on this site got in.
This issue came up with the DRGW unit, and if you check this thread and the last post I made (which no one has tried to refute), you'll find there is a legit reason:
http://www.railpictures.net/forums/s...ead.php?t=3754

So, again, anyone that disagrees with that assesment, you have another chance to rebut.
Quote:

So, how about it?
You can always e-mail admin@railpictures.net and ask for a particular Photo ID to be removed...
Old 07-23-2006, 08:42 PM   #24
VirginiaSouthern
Banned

I understand your point of view Ween, but based on the purpose of this website to have the best of the best, is should not matter how newsworthy or historical it is. Either the shot meets the standards or it doesnt.

Its a shame when the owners feel the need to drop the standards merely to be the "first kid on the block" to have a picture of that unit. To me there is really no excuse for it. Either you haver your standards or you don't. It shouldn't be preached that they look for this or that when those standards are going to be constantly rolled back at the owners discretion. When mixed signals are sent out, its no wonder many are often confused, frustrated and even angry at this site when their photos don't make it in. And that's exactly what this site is doing way too often as of late. The concept is great and overall the uploads are limited to really good photos, but it seems that the lack of holding photos to the standards is getting progressively worse lately.

Another problem is that the screeners don't seem to take well to criticism/suggestions very well without getting super defensive or without trying to come up with a million and one excuses (if they even make an attempt to respond at al). One should constantly be re-evaluating themselves in order to find ways to improve. it doesn't seem that this is common practice.

Last edited by VirginiaSouthern; 07-23-2006 at 08:45 PM.
Old 07-23-2006, 08:53 PM   #25
Ween

Quote:
It shouldn't be preached that they look for this or that when those standards are going to be constantly rolled back at the owners discretion.
And there's the reason why people shouldn't be confused, frustrated, or angry when one of their shots gets rejected. If you submit your shots to the site, you are accepting, whether you are concious of it or not, the fact that the owner "retains the right to refuse service" since it's a privately funded sight. There are no real 'rights' for those who choose to upload, and any 'standards' put in place are there, at best, only to serve as a guide. In other words, if you submit shots within a certain 'standard,' you stand the best chance of getting the shot accpeted. Note that I didn't say you are guaranteed to have your shot accepted, only that your chances are increased.

Granted, having a standard and being consistent in holding shots to the standard is important, and I think the screeners do the best job out there (it's not perfect, sure, but what in life is?). It's a tough job to judge another's work, but when one approaches the situation with a certain level of maturity and understanding, there should be no heartache...