Old 08-07-2007, 07:55 PM   #1
socalrailfan
Master Railfan

Default My book about the Cajon Pass

Well I finally finished my book on the Cajon Pass I've been working on for the last two months. I guess this link let's you preview it. Anyways it's 50 pages and 108 color photos. I've spent a lot fo time working on this. Even if you don't buy it, which I'm not promoting it here, just enjoy what it is. Enjoy!

http://www.photoworks.com/photo-shar..._alb_emb&cb=PW

See more of my train photos at:
http://community.webshots.com/user/firehouse16
See my train videos at:
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=SoCalRailFan
socalrailfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 08:13 PM   #2
JRMDC

Congrats! Always cool to see someone fulfill a dream, and to achieve something one may strive for oneself someday.

I only went through a few pages, but page 4 is nice - is that one on RP?

How long did it take to construct this, once you had all the shots? I am interested in doing a book of pix of my children, and this looks like a nice setup. How does this differ from the offerings at shutterfly, etc.?

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 08:22 PM   #3
socalrailfan
Master Railfan

Not sure about the photo on page 4, but I'm sure quite a few of the shots are on rp.net since they're some of my better work. It took me about 2 months to do, but I pushed myself and finished it in the last 3 days working pretty hard on it.

I checked out many book making companies and not a single one does it all. Like one will have some great features that another doesn't and vica-versa. If I could combine a few companies I'd have a perfect book. two others I did like though were Picaboo and Book Smart but I ended up using PhotoWorks.
See my train videos at:
Old 08-08-2007, 01:24 AM   #4
Mgoldman

That's really great Dave. I would suggest you do one of three things;

1) Burry yourself in history (books, magazines and the Web) and fill the space between the photos with facts and stories. You have the makings of a fine book worth the advertised price - didn't get a chance to view all the pages but it woiuld be beneficial to have some night shots, some weather shots and perhaps you could consider purchasing some rights to historical photos. Also, run spell check so you don't spell words like "Burry" wrong. ; )

2) Easier - replace the colored backgrounds with a simpler, more professional appearing white and maybe outline and mat the photos with a border.

3) Forward to a publishing company - just look at some railroad books and get in touch with a publisher.

Impressed!

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 01:28 AM   #5
socalrailfan
Master Railfan

The problems with these books is you're limited to the amount of text you can have. Like I said this was nothing more than having it for myself to shows friends and family.

Are you saying there's a typo? I checked multiple times. If so where is it?

Unfortunately Cajon is not a night shot area. There is basically no lights at all, all you'd see is light traces. Believe me I've tried. There are plenty of weather shots in the book, but at the same time I didbn't want any crappy shots. I think it's balanced well myself.
See my train videos at:

Last edited by socalrailfan; 08-08-2007 at 01:31 AM.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:39 AM   #6
Mgoldman

No typo other then my own which I left in to show how easy it is to miss - though I did catch it, I decided to leave it to make my point.

With the stock you have there, you might just be able to present it to a publisher as is. Text would be great, but gallery type books are popular also, and if you were to go in that direction I would go to a white background and add borders to the photos.

/Mitch
Old 08-08-2007, 12:36 PM   #7
Bill

Looks nice Dave, I wish you luck with it. Personally, I'd rather see more full-page images (page 11 as an example) rather than the bordered large images with the woodgrain background.
The best thing about self-publishing is you can crank out revisions rather easily. The downside of self-publishing is the price to the comsumer.

I've self-published a book too...I used Blurb.com, I'm very happy with the quality & the price is a little better than some of the others that I've researched.

Congrats,
Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 01:47 PM   #8
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalrailfan

Unfortunately Cajon is not a night shot area. There is basically no lights at all, all you'd see is light traces. Believe me I've tried.
Two words -- Gary Knapp.

Joe
Old 08-08-2007, 02:11 PM   #9
Switched out

Thumbs up

Very impressive work Dave.

One other item you might like to consider for the next book is a Map of the area for those of us who are not familiar with the location.

Christine.
Switched out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 01:04 AM   #10
socalrailfan
Master Railfan

Christine,

Remember this book was originally for me and me alone. Since then others have bought it. The problem with a map though is copyright infringment. And God knows I can't draw a map.

Well I got my books today. I have to say the print quality is amazing, the pictures and book turned out just as it looked when I was making it. Unfortunately for me the two copies I got were pre-correction ones, more of a test for me to see the quality. I guess at the moment you buy a copy it takes a snapshot of the photobook file and that's what it uses. Luckily I made the correction the same day for others. I'll give these two copies to family members who won't know Cosy from Cozy! LOL

I highly recommend a photobook to anyone that takes photos to make their own book for their own enjoyment. A very cool thing to do and have.
See my train videos at:
Old 08-11-2007, 03:08 AM   #11
Mark Rosnick

Very nice indeed Dave. Hope you sell a lot of books. The photography is spectacular. Best of luck..Mark
Mark Rosnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 08:06 AM   #12
alan-crotty

Default Well Done

Well done Dave,

and to think not long ago you were looking for inspiration!

Alan
alan-crotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 04:57 PM   #13
Slopes09

Send a message via AIM to Slopes09

Also, if you want to publish it, you might want to change the title. It's fairly similar in the "copyright infringement" sense to Ted Benson's "Trains of Thought."

Pretty much the only Pentax Shooter.

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!
Slopes09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 10:25 PM   #14
Joe the Photog

I don't know who Ted Benson is, but if Fox News can't copyright Fair and Balanced, I'm not sure Ted Benson can copyright Trains of Thought either.

God knows i'd love to publish a book, but how much did this cost you, Dave? I kinda think I should get published at least once in Trains or R&R before I think seriously about a book though.

I already have a title on my old web site for it "The Blue Blazes: A History of the Lancaster and Chester Railway."

A few years ago, I did contact the railroad to see if they would be interested in seeing what I had so far They were interested, but not THAT interested, not enough to help me with a book.

Joe
Old 08-11-2007, 10:45 PM   #15
AZdude

Well done dude! Looked at the preview no complaints here. Always wanted to a book about the sunset route here in AZ. Cheers!
AZdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 12:25 AM   #16
socalrailfan
Master Railfan

Thanks guys. Mine is only called a " A Train of Thought" not "trains". Mostly means what am I thinking when out doing this hobby. I guess I could have called it "My Train of Thought" - Railfanning the Cajon Pass.

I'm not persuing trying to get this published. If people like it they can buy it, if a publisher or someone sees it and wants to publish it, awesome. At that point lots of things would be definetly changed, creative freedom for me would then be a 100% instead of limited to what this company I used has to offer.

For me this is still a hobby!
See my train videos at:
Old 08-12-2007, 03:16 AM   #17
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog
I already have a title on my old web site for it "The Blue Blazes: A History of the Lancaster and Chester Railway." Joe
Isn't one of their steam engines in Pennsylsvania somewhere? ; )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog
I don't know who Ted Benson is...Joe
Find out! You will be glad you did. Trust me.

Hey Dave - regarding the site that is making your book available - is it a site that pays a percent to you each time, or rather similar to some sites that allow others to purchase photos you have stored on line - aka, a site where friends and family can order prints? Do you set the price? I'll repeat what I said earlier - great job on the book, looks like it would make a great photography reference book.

/Mitch
Old 08-12-2007, 03:39 AM   #18
socalrailfan
Master Railfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman
Hey Dave - regarding the site that is making your book available - is it a site that pays a percent to you each time, or rather similar to some sites that allow others to purchase photos you have stored on line - aka, a site where friends and family can order prints? Do you set the price? I'll repeat what I said earlier - great job on the book, looks like it would make a great photography reference book.
Mitch I can set the price to anything, but since this was for me only, it's at the cost that the company makes it for, so it's totally non-profit for me. Unfortunately I can't tell how many are sold because I've placed it under the "share" option instead of the the "sell" option. But quite a few people have told me they're getting it. I took it too the pass today and let some people look at it and they were quite pleased with it. They said it looks totally professional.

I've learned you can't please everyone with it, as seen in some of the replies by some T.O. members, I won't repeat what my friends and RR employess I saw today said about them! LOL It sits on my table and I enjoy it, the other copy stays in my Jeep to shows people that are interested and that's all I ever intended it for, but I'm humbled people want to buy it. I'm even getting requests to sign it They must think I'm gonna die soon and it'll be worth something.

We are looking at another book. I've been contacted by a few people in regards to making one for the construction of the 3rd main through the pass. I'm not sure yet, but we have a pretty good collection of photos so far and it's only just begun!

Anyways, thanks again.
See my train videos at: