Old 04-24-2009, 05:11 PM   #1
crazytiger

Default Norfolk Southern schedule

Does anyone have an NS schedule for the mainline between Atlanta and Charlotte? I live near it and I want a schedule.
crazytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 07:04 PM   #2
Walter S

Send a message via AIM to Walter S

You could be a little more specific. It is almost impossible to get a set schedule.
Old 04-24-2009, 09:50 PM   #3
asis80

Send a message via AIM to asis80

Set schedules are hard to come by, meaning that they are not set, as Walter said. You've got to think, MoW, traffic, defects, crew expiration, etc. It always changes. For example, here on the Keystone Subdivision, the schedule says Q138 is supposed to be past my house close to 5 in the afternoon. Q138/L138 shows up around here in reality close to noon. Q641 is always behind it, but the schedule says its supposed to be here at 5 in the morning! Go railfanning and start writing down the train ID and what time it passes a particular location. Keep doing this for a certain day, you'll notice most of the trains will be passing you around the same time.

Ben
Old 04-24-2009, 11:43 PM   #4
crazytiger

I just want a general idea but I guess I need to do it by trial. Where is the train ID?

PFL
Old 04-25-2009, 02:08 AM   #5
asis80

Send a message via AIM to asis80

Do you have a scanner?
Old 04-26-2009, 12:25 AM   #6
crazytiger

I guess that is the problem. Does a CB work? Mine isn't that good.

PFL
Old 04-26-2009, 12:53 AM   #7
BarrySr

Send a message via Yahoo to BarrySr
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazytiger View Post
I guess that is the problem. Does a CB work? Mine isn't that good.
[clears throat] Wellllll...no. You have to have a scanner capable of receiving RR channels.

"I dug 'dem boats when diggin' em wasn't cool"

"Why are the crazy people so enamorate of all things EMD?" [Holloran Grade]

View My Photos on Railpictures.net
BarrySr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 01:11 AM   #8
JRMDC

seems like crazytiger needs a link to railfanning 101. I can't think of one, anyone know of a good site?

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 01:14 AM   #9
crazytiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
seems like crazytiger needs a link to railfanning 101. I can't think of one, anyone know of a good site?
That would be very true. Got into it this week really. Kinda knew about rails and railfanning from friends but not done any myself and the people I know who did it, didn't do it right (no scanner, stuff like that)

PFL
Old 04-26-2009, 01:17 AM   #10
crazytiger

Here...
Let me google that for you

PFL
Old 04-26-2009, 03:44 AM   #11
Nahant

http://forums.railpictures.net/showt...ht=frequencies

Try this, its an old thread, but it still has useful info on it.
Nahant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 07:29 PM   #12
asitphoto

Default To Crazytiger

I live on this line as well. It is the NS main from Louisianna to DC. There is no set schedule for freight, however Amtrak has a schedule you can get on their website. Even with a scanner (I have one) it is still difficult. All westbounds from Greenville yard are not transmitted, that I know of. East from G'ville to Spartanburg are transmitted. Radio silence is held except when they pass over the Croswell area (2 tressels) and they radio in "cleared Croswell" Best thing I can tell you: if you are close to any signals, watch them. Also, locate grade crossings and listen for the horn... that will give you a few minutes to react. Hope that helps.
asitphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 05:49 PM   #13
crazytiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by asitphoto View Post
I live on this line as well. It is the NS main from Louisianna to DC. There is no set schedule for freight, however Amtrak has a schedule you can get on their website. Even with a scanner (I have one) it is still difficult. All westbounds from Greenville yard are not transmitted, that I know of. East from G'ville to Spartanburg are transmitted. Radio silence is held except when they pass over the Croswell area (2 tressels) and they radio in "cleared Croswell" Best thing I can tell you: if you are close to any signals, watch them. Also, locate grade crossings and listen for the horn... that will give you a few minutes to react. Hope that helps.
I currently just use signals and horns. How far could I hear on a scanner? (I'm don't have one just yet.) I'm around 20 miles from Croswell.

PFL
Old 05-11-2009, 06:23 PM   #14
yadkinrailfan91

Well, in todays class one railroads, there really is no set scedule for trains to run on, although some trains, can usually run in a particular time of the day, example, say 10AM to 11AM or 11AM to 1PM roughly in that time period....But not always the case, weekedays it may take longer for a train to get to were its going due to MOW work or any other problems under the sun thats everyday on the railroad..... The particular line you are talking about, I happen to live 20 miles from on the northern most part of the NS Charlotte District from Greenville SC to Salisbury NC.

The same trains go through were you live as do Salisbury. Except for R line traffic that splits off in Charlotte, but you dont have to worry about that.

Anyway,
So, here is a list of road freights and intermodals and Amtraks that you will see in a days period.

NS 154 NB
NS 153 SB
NS 172 NB
NS 173 SB
NS 204 NB
NS 203 SB
NS 214 NB
NS 213 SB
NS 211 SB
NS 212 NB
NS 222 NB
NS 221 SB
NS 238 NB
NS 237 SB

Amtraks 20 NB
Amtraks 19 SB

Now these are not in order that they will come in, but this is the set list of trains that run through everyday in your area in a 24 hour period. The Amtraks however are on a set scedule and usually keep it.

Also, you will definitely have local traffic which the symbols begin with a P, example NS P11, or NS P32, P44 etc.....Im not sure of the local symbols were you live.

Other trains you might see is a grain train, they dont run everyday but do maybe three or four times a week. They will usually run as a symbol of 44N, 52A, 54A 53R Etc.....

also, if i noticed correctly you were looking for the scanner frequencies that NS use....

Road channel is

Dispatcher to Train is

Train to Dispatcher is

Hope this helps.
Any more Questions email me,

clintrenegar@yahoo.com

Clint Renegar

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!

Proud member of the "FV4"
________
Uggs

Last edited by yadkinrailfan91; 04-15-2011 at 05:31 AM.
yadkinrailfan91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 06:31 PM   #15
yadkinrailfan91

Also..........And please hear me out....If you going to get a scanner, please double think that...Now, I know everyone and their brother have the almost always "radioshack Pro 82" or whatever its called..scanner, and everyone say they work great. Well...they do not pick up good at all, reception overall plain out sucks, even when your trackside, farthest I have ever picked up is 5 miles..and with a mobile antenna attached, maybe 15?? or so miles...... I bought one a long time ago, and for 100 dollars it is not really worth it.

If your getting serious about railfanning and want to be able to know were the trains are and be able to know the signal names and etc..You need to invest in a good RADIO...not a scanner. A particular awesome radio I have is a ICOM V8-2..It is absolutely awesome. Retail price is $129.00 Just with the rubber duck antenna, I can pick up trains calling signals from 20-30 miles away. And even farther if you invest in a mobile antenna. It is a great investment..

________
Zoloft Lawyer

Last edited by yadkinrailfan91; 04-15-2011 at 05:32 AM.
yadkinrailfan91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 11:07 PM   #16
EMTRailfan

Location: I can be found railfanning the abandoned B&O Northern Sub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yadkinrailfan91 View Post
Also..........And please hear me out....If you going to get a scanner, please double think that...Now, I know everyone and their brother have the almost always "radioshack Pro 82" or whatever its called..scanner, and everyone say they work great. Well...they do not pick up good at all, reception overall plain out sucks, even when your trackside, farthest I have ever picked up is 5 miles..and with a mobile antenna attached, maybe 15?? or so miles...... I bought one a long time ago, and for 100 dollars it is not really worth it.

If your getting serious about railfanning and want to be able to know were the trains are and be able to know the signal names and etc..You need to invest in a good RADIO...not a scanner. A particular awesome radio I have is a ICOM V8-2..It is absolutely awesome. Retail price is $129.00 Just with the rubber duck antenna, I can pick up trains calling signals from 20-30 miles away. And even farther if you invest in a mobile antenna. It is a great investment..

I use a radio too, and am much more pleased over my old scanner. If you go the route of a radio, first and foremost, DISABLE THE TRANSMIT!!!
Old 05-15-2009, 02:17 PM   #17
asitphoto

Default Crazytiger

The other two posts make a good point about using a radio. And yes, remember NOT to transmit! However, I have good luck with my base unit scanner. Using a dipole antenna trimmed to the proper Mhz length is critical to best reception. Here's a website on dipole construction.

http://www.dxzone.com/cgi-bin/dir/jump2.cgi?ID=10210

For the frequencies used by NS, a dipole of 2.91 feet (end to end) would be ideal. The website gives detailed instructions on the building of one. 20 miles is possible with the proper setup.
asitphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 06:49 PM   #18
crazytiger

Thanks a bunch, Clint! That was really helpful.

PFL