PDA

View Full Version : Appeal Spiel

ccaranna
10-09-2005, 03:34 PM
Hey guys/gals,

I don't have a whole lot of experience in the appeal process (I'm 0 for 2 in the last year) and I was wondering what exactly you say when you submit an image back for a second look.

Do you get down on your hands and knees and beg, tell them their crazy, or submit a 500 word essay on its technical aspects and value? I'm just wondering, because I've seen quite a few posts regarding happy success in this area.

Try to be as specific as possible about what you said, and as reference, post the corresponding image that was accepted.

Thanks!

NicTrain35
10-09-2005, 03:40 PM
Hi Chuck.

[photoid=115848]
Originally rejected for Bad cropping. I wanted to keep the water tower in this one.

[photoid=118033]
Originally rejected for Bad motive. I felt this one was quite interesting with the colors.

[photoid=119486]
Originally rejected for Bad cropping. I was trying to keep the signal bridge in this one.

Take care.

LAHDPOP
10-09-2005, 03:45 PM
Wish I could give you some examples of success, but I've got a perfect record in appeals....I've had ZERO appeals accepted! :-D

Joe the Photog
10-09-2005, 07:09 PM
Nick is dead-on in his approach. Tell them what you were trying to do with your shot. For example --

[photoid=119514]

This one was first rejected for bad cropping. I appealed saying that, yes, I know the track is cut off on the left, but that I had cropped it several different ways and any time I cropped the signal out, the picture just looked, well, stupid.

[photoid=99181]

This one was rejected for "distracting shadows." My appeal was to say that, sure, there were some serious shadows going on, but I didn't think they were distracting and besides, who knew how long eithr unit would be around?

[photoid=86027]

This one was rejected for horizon unlevel. I appealed saying the level is fine. Look at the tracks right under the train. But the angle is skewed because of the low angle and the lens being out as wide as possible, therefore making the signal "lean." I'm not sure they would take this shot today thougyh because of the sun angle.

Joe

Ween
10-09-2005, 11:23 PM
Begging or writing a 500 word essay is definitely not the way to go. In fact, they recommend keeping your comments brief.

Obviously, you want to appeal the reason for rejection. Go right to the heart of why you think it was wrongly rejected, but you can't expect positive results if you come across as demanding or aggressive.

Use phraseology such as "Please take another look at so and so and blah blah blah..."

My most common one is for poor lighting/backlit, but when it's explained that the pilot is in the sunlight and is detailed, you'll usually see those appeals go through.

Be rationale. Be polite. And if the appeal doesn't work, just let it go...

NicTrain35
10-09-2005, 11:25 PM
Chris makes some really good points. If your appeal gets rejected, just let it go. Don't get all worked up over it.

Chris Kilroy
10-10-2005, 03:45 AM
Begging or writing a 500 word essay is definitely not the way to go. In fact, they recommend keeping your comments brief.

Especially because the database field which stores your appeal reason is only set to 255 characters. ;)

nsnscalerailfan
10-12-2005, 04:42 PM
I only reappeal under a few circumstances.......

1. Screener say similar to previously accepted photo and it's a different train, or very different location and angle (like several miles away).

2. I get "Doesn't fit minimum pixel requirements" and it does.... and is say 800 high, 600 wide.... or even 600 high like the requirements say is alright.

Hope this helps.